Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

On 11/23/2022 at 2:21 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @Cixert! Glad it was really you! :) In the folder c:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Application Data\Mypal68\, there are two relevant files, profiles.ini and installs.ini. Your profiles.ini file is totally messed up, unfortunately. It has to be cleaned and modified to get rid of your problems. Here is the code of these two files taken from my Windows XP installation:

Content of profiles.ini:

[Profile2]
Name=Default
IsRelative=0
Path=D:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Default

[Profile1]
Name=Test
IsRelative=0
Path=D:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Test

[Profile0]
Name=Mypal68
IsRelative=0
Path=d:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Mypal68.12.2
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0
Version=2

[InstallE2373D2F645B4BBF]
Default=d:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Mypal68.12.2
Locked=1

Content of installs.ini:

[E2373D2F645B4BBF]
Default=d:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Mypal68.12.2
Locked=1

As you can see, I have three different profiles located in the partition D:. My main profile is Mypal68.12.2. I do not install profiles in my system partition C: due to many well-known reasons. With these two files, I have no problems anymore while updating Mypal 68. ssupercool2.gif But first, some short clarifications:

IsRelative=1 means relative paths, relative to the Profiles folder C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Application Data\Mypal68\Profiles as, for example, your newest profile jvsrhsc8.default-default-3 has the relative path Profiles/jvsrhsc8.default-default-3.
IsRelative=0 means using absolute paths as, for example, D:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Mypal68.12.2 in my case.
Locked=1 means that the respective profile is locked to the Firefox installation path referenced by a hash. In your case, the hash 77095BA9BFBDBF19 belongs to your newest profile jvsrhsc8.default-default-3.

I recommend to delete all unused, unimportant profiles physically on your hard disk and all references in these two files above. Use absolute paths only which means IsRelative=0 and replace the relative paths by the absolute ones! Simply put, edit both files as it was done in my files! My main profile is Mypal68.12.2. Replace it in your files by your main profile name! In the profiles.ini file, you have several items [Installxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx], but you should have only one, in your case [Install77095BA9BFBDBF19] for your newest profile jvsrhsc8.default-default-3 and only the respective item [77095BA9BFBDBF19] in the installs.ini file. BTW, all problems referring to these two files have already been discussed by me here:

In any case, it should work for you, too. But if you have problems or questions, do not  hesitate to post it here! I'll help you if possible.

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Hello @Cixert! Did my solution work for you? :dubbio:

• 2 months later...

Good News! vil2-nouvelles.gif

@feodor2 has just released a nightly build of Mypal 68.13.0. It's not beta or final, presumably less stable, but is supposed to have a much more up-to-date JS engine.
Here is a link to the issue on GitHub: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/160 and the direct download link of the release: https://mega.nz/file/FfhCVaZJ#7Yt5Ai8lAz-KeGXBiNnfFcS61-5YVdztKxlPYdq7ZZg
I am so glad to see progress in development of Mypal 68 despite the difficult circumstances. :) And then, an official release will come soon, presumably. :thumbup

Cheers, AstroSkipper very1happy.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

55 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

It's not an installer, it's a portable zip file, unfortunately.

Why unfortunately? A zip file is great, better than an installer. You have just to copy the new files over the old ones. That's why I simply wrote installer. With this archive, you install Mypal 68.13.0b. By the way, Mypal 68 is not fully portable. The browser creates entries in the registry. Therefore, to be absolutely correct, it's a zip archive for manual installation. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I am so glad to see progress in development of Mypal 68 despite the difficult circumstances. :)

Cheers, AstroSkipper

I did read somewhere that @feodor2 was from ukraine and some rumors pointed out he could not be alive due to the the lack of new releases for so long....

23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Good News! vil2-nouvelles.gif

@feodor2 has just released a nightly build of Mypal 68.13.0. It's not beta or final, presumably less stable, but is supposed to have a much more up-to-date JS engine.
Here is a link to the issue on GitHub: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/160 and the direct download link of the release: https://mega.nz/file/FfhCVaZJ#7Yt5Ai8lAz-KeGXBiNnfFcS61-5YVdztKxlPYdq7ZZg
I am so glad to see progress in development of Mypal 68 despite the difficult circumstances. :) And then, an official release will come soon, presumably. :thumbup

Cheers, AstroSkipper very1happy.gif

I tested this nightly build of Mypal 68.13.0 with some websites which caused problems in Mypal 68.12.5b. The assets on GitHub are loading again. :thumbup MEGA is working, too. ssupercool2.gif And, the online dictionary LEO also seems to be fixed. ssupercool2.gif Unfortunately, VirusTotal stopped working completely in Mypal 68.13.0b. Neither the main site https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload nor the reduced site https://www.virustotal.com/old-browsers/?style=bright works. On the main site, no way to upload a file. All elements in the middle of the website aren't loaded, only the outer frame. On the reduced site, the Google captcha doesn't work (endless loading). :(

Edited by AstroSkipper

19 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Zip versions of software are not my personal taste, but installers are my personal taste, that's why.

I agree with you as I also like installers better but for web browsers I don't care much any more.

I for one have had several issues with the original Firefox which was unable to start because of some registry problems hence I prefer the portable editions now.

24 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

I did read somewhere that @feodor2 was from ukraine and some rumors pointed out he could not be alive due to the the lack of new releases for so long....

You can read a lot somewhere, and rumors are ten a penny. AFAIAA, @feodor2 posted the link to the nightly build himself (under his GitHub account). Anyway! I hope he is well and unharmed. Best wishes from here! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

Some scripts and extensions for Fx57+ are available here, DownThemAll! among others and there's a link to Tab Mix Plus. Some of these were recently updated and work with latest and greatest official Firefox 110, one might need to dig into the repo history if latest and greatest is not compatible with Mypal 68.

Edited by UCyborg

40 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

and there's a link to Tab Mix Plus

Thanks for the link! I already knew this source for userscripts. But where did you find a link to Tab Mix Plus on this site? I can't see any there. :dubbio: AFAIK, there is just this pre-release of Tab Mix Plus in form of a webextension: Tab Mix Plus v1.0.0-pre, available on their homepage https://tabmixplus.org/, but unfortunately only for FF 78+. For Mypal 68, there is only this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/tab-mix-plus-webextension/ called Tab Mix - Links, but it has very few features.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper