Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

Interesting news! vil2-nouvelles.gif

A new release of Mypal 68 will come soon. It seems to be the version Mypal 68.13.0. This is a quotation from @feodor2 on GitHub's issues: 

Source: BSOD When if i closed 8 tabs on mypal quantum browser · Issue #3 · Feodor2/Mypal68
Address : https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/3#issuecomment-1279302448
Date Visited: Fri Oct 28 2022 18:18:39 GMT+0200

I will make further thinks after the coming new version 68.13.0 with huge javascript update which also poke core-dom-ipc, ...

Here is the link again: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/3#issuecomment-1279302448. Thanks to @mixit for the hint! So, we have to be patient and stay tuned! :) I am very much looking forward to this new release.

Cheers, AstroSkipper very1happy.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 2 weeks later...

Unexpected news! vil2_nouvelles.gif :cheerleader:

The unbelievable has come true. I would never have thought that this was possible. I have always been annoyed that my self-written custom buttons for the old, legacy UXP browsers like Firefox 52, Pale Moon, New Moon, Serpent, and so on can no longer be used in Mypal 68. The reason for this is that the extension Custom Buttons is a legacy extension and only compatible with the already mentioned UXP browsers, actually.
I emphasize actually! a080.gif 
For months, I've been searching on and off for a solution to still be able to use these custom buttons in Mypal 68. And what can I say? My persistence seems to have been rewarded now. As it looks at the moment, I managed to install a modified version of the extension Custom Buttons in Mypal 68. nonono.gif Some additional changes in Mypal 68 were also still necessary for this, of course. Furthermore, I have been able to successfully install my custom button "Toggle CSF" via this modified extension in Mypal 68. nonono.gif As far as I can see, both, the extension Custom Buttons and my custom button "Toggle CSF" which I already posted for the UXP browsers here https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-extensions-and-custom-buttons-for-uxp-browsers-corrections-modifications-adjustments-and-special-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=1229561, work fine and are fully functional in Mypal 68. :cheerleader: 
If you don't immediately understand what's so special about all this, just try installing the extension Custom Buttons in Mypal 68 yourself, and you will see! :P

Here is a screenshot of my installations as proof:

Mypal-68-Custom-Buttons.png

More on this topic soon. Will have to investigate and test it all in more detail first! Of course, it takes a little time, and unfortunately I still have to take it easy to finally get rid of this damn cough. So, stay tuned if interested! d010.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I tested a second, legacy custom button in Mypal 68 I already posted for the UXP browsers. It's the custom button Toggle GIF Animation from here: 

Here is a further screenshot of my installations as proof:

Mypal-68-Custom-Buttons-full-window-2.pn

And, this one works perfectly in Mypal 68, too. :cheerleader: It's unbelievable! I am very happy! houra.gif

Cheery greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper mevoila.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hello @Cixert! I happened to see in the issues of Mypal 68 that you have update problems. I am referring to the issue "update keeping settings #169": 
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/169 
The name of the poster is Cixert, so I think it's probably you. :)
When I updated Mypal 68 the very first time months ago, I had the same problem after copying the new files over the old ones. I solved it by editing the file profile.ini and changing the location of my profile folder. If you need help, please post the content of your profile.ini file here, and maybe, we can solve your update problems too by changing some entries in this file.

Kind regards, AstroSkipper uniforme4.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thank you for confirming! :)

You're welcome! The proof that it's him is this one (see the word Spanish there in that link? this is the proof. also yes, I know that you want to say the link is completely off-topic and unrelated to the topic, but that's the proof really)

25 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

You're welcome! The proof that it's him is this one (see the word Spanish there in that link? this is the proof.

Thank you @mina7601! I know @Cixert is Spanish. Therefore, the probability of success converges towards 1. :)

25 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

also yes, I know that you want to say the link is completely off-topic and unrelated to the topic,

I don't think that you really know what I might say unless you have supernatural abilities and a crystal ball. And you know I do not believe in that. For a further confirmation, such a link is helpful, of course. 
Thanks, Sherlock! e010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thank you @mina7601! I know @Cixert is Spanish. Therefore, the probability of success converges towards 1. :)

Good.

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I don't think that you really know what I might say unless you have supernatural abilities and a crystal ball. And you know I do not believe in that. For a further confirmation, such a link is helpful, of course.

Take it easy, pretty please. I just guessed it because you said you don't like going off-topic generally!

Edited by mina7601

12 hours ago, mina7601 said:

also yes, I know that you want to say the link is completely off-topic and unrelated to the topic, but that's the proof really)

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks, Sherlock! e010.gif

7 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Take it easy, pretty please. I just guessed it because you said you don't like going off-topic generally!

If you can't interpret an answer or don't understand it either linguistically or in terms of content, please use a translation service! And Google can't translate properly. So if you used the Google Translator to understand my answer, then this inappropriate response is clear to me: "Take it easy, pretty please." If not, then you need to improve your English considerably. My reply was meant to be friendly, hence the Sherlock:)

PS: And please stop guessing what others might think! It's a pretty bad habit! Do not think for others! Others have to think for themselves, and they will do that, of course. :)

23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

If you can't interpret an answer or don't understand it either linguistically or in terms of content, please use a translation service! And Google can't translate properly. So if you used the Google Translator to understand my answer, then this inappropriate response is clear to me: "Take it easy, pretty please."

Well, I almost understand your answers everytime by myself without a translator. And you're right, "pretty please" sounded a bit rude. I should've said "please" instead.

If not, then you need to improve your English considerably. My reply was meant to be friendly, hence the Sherlock:)

Forgive me, but because I've seen the word Sherlock said on other forums which I'm in, I take it as unfriendly, so I mistakenly took it as unfriendly here as well. I'm sorry.

PS: And please stop guessing what others might think! It's a pretty bad habit! Do not think for others! Others have to think for themselves, and they will do that, of course. :)

Ok, sorry for that, forgive me please.

Edited by mina7601

It's me, @AstroSkipper  :thumbup @mina7601
In my profiles folder I see 5 profiles.
The newest profile is "jvsrhsc8.default-default-3"
But in the profiles.ini file I see a mix of profiles.
Is it safe to delete all profiles and leave the newest one?
what should the profiles.ini file look like?
What does locked=1 & isrelative=1 mean?
Thanks.

[InstallB2BEF67B3394E6F3]
Default=Profiles/5j62w0ky.default-default-1
Locked=1

[Profile3]
Name=default-default-2
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/gtdvt7r6.default-default-2

[Profile2]
Name=default-default-1
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/5j62w0ky.default-default-1

[InstallC48CA6CD8F76FD36]
Default=Profiles/c3s58rv4.default-default
Locked=1

[Profile1]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/6ay5acid.default
Default=1

[Install77095BA9BFBDBF19]
Default=Profiles/jvsrhsc8.default-default-3
Locked=1

[Profile0]
Name=default-default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/c3s58rv4.default-default

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

[Profile4]
Name=default-default-3
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/jvsrhsc8.default-default-3

[Install85442B1DBF4D6613]
Default=Profiles/gtdvt7r6.default-default-2
Locked=1

Edited by Cixert

12 hours ago, Cixert said:

It's me, @AstroSkipper  :thumbup @mina7601
In my profiles folder I see 5 profiles.
The newest profile is "jvsrhsc8.default-default-3"
But in the profiles.ini file I see a mix of profiles.
Is it safe to delete all profiles and leave the newest one?
what should the profiles.ini file look like?
What does locked=1 & isrelative=1 mean?
Thanks.

[InstallB2BEF67B3394E6F3]
Default=Profiles/5j62w0ky.default-default-1
Locked=1

[Profile3]
Name=default-default-2
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/gtdvt7r6.default-default-2

[Profile2]
Name=default-default-1
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/5j62w0ky.default-default-1

[InstallC48CA6CD8F76FD36]
Default=Profiles/c3s58rv4.default-default
Locked=1

[Profile1]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/6ay5acid.default
Default=1

[Install77095BA9BFBDBF19]
Default=Profiles/jvsrhsc8.default-default-3
Locked=1

[Profile0]
Name=default-default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/c3s58rv4.default-default

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

[Profile4]
Name=default-default-3
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/jvsrhsc8.default-default-3

[Install85442B1DBF4D6613]
Default=Profiles/gtdvt7r6.default-default-2
Locked=1

Hello @Cixert! Glad it was really you! :) In the folder c:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Application Data\Mypal68\, there are two relevant files, profiles.ini and installs.ini. Your profiles.ini file is totally messed up, unfortunately. It has to be cleaned and modified to get rid of your problems. Here is the code of these two files taken from my Windows XP installation:

Content of profiles.ini:

[Profile2]
Name=Default
IsRelative=0
Path=D:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Default

[Profile1]
Name=Test
IsRelative=0
Path=D:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Test

[Profile0]
Name=Mypal68
IsRelative=0
Path=d:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Mypal68.12.2
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0
Version=2

[InstallE2373D2F645B4BBF]
Default=d:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Mypal68.12.2
Locked=1

Content of installs.ini:

[E2373D2F645B4BBF]
Default=d:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Mypal68.12.2
Locked=1

As you can see, I have three different profiles located in the partition D:. My main profile is Mypal68.12.2. I do not install profiles in my system partition C: due to many well-known reasons. With these two files, I have no problems anymore while updating Mypal 68. ssupercool2.gif But first, some short clarifications:

IsRelative=1 means relative paths, relative to the Profiles folder C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Application Data\Mypal68\Profiles as, for example, your newest profile jvsrhsc8.default-default-3 has the relative path Profiles/jvsrhsc8.default-default-3.
IsRelative=0 means using absolute paths as, for example, D:\Eigene Dateien\Mypal\Mypal68\Profiles\Mypal68.12.2 in my case.
Locked=1 means that the respective profile is locked to the Firefox installation path referenced by a hash. In your case, the hash 77095BA9BFBDBF19 belongs to your newest profile jvsrhsc8.default-default-3.

I recommend to delete all unused, unimportant profiles physically on your hard disk and all references in these two files above. Use absolute paths only which means IsRelative=0 and replace the relative paths by the absolute ones! Simply put, edit both files as it was done in my files! My main profile is Mypal68.12.2. Replace it in your files by your main profile name! In the profiles.ini file, you have several items [Installxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx], but you should have only one, in your case [Install77095BA9BFBDBF19] for your newest profile jvsrhsc8.default-default-3 and only the respective item [77095BA9BFBDBF19] in the installs.ini file. BTW, all problems referring to these two files have already been discussed by me here:

In any case, it should work for you, too. But if you have problems or questions, do not  hesitate to post it here! I'll help you if possible.

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 11/14/2022 at 7:42 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Unexpected news! vil2_nouvelles.gif :cheerleader:

The unbelievable has come true. I would never have thought that this was possible. I have always been annoyed that my self-written custom buttons for the old, legacy UXP browsers like Firefox 52, Pale Moon, New Moon, Serpent, and so on can no longer be used in Mypal 68. The reason for this is that the extension Custom Buttons is a legacy extension and only compatible with the already mentioned UXP browsers, actually.
I emphasize actually! a080.gif 
For months, I've been searching on and off for a solution to still be able to use these custom buttons in Mypal 68. And what can I say? My persistence seems to have been rewarded now. As it looks at the moment, I managed to install a modified version of the extension Custom Buttons in Mypal 68. nonono.gif Some additional changes in Mypal 68 were also still necessary for this, of course. Furthermore, I have been able to successfully install my custom button "Toggle CSF" via this modified extension in Mypal 68. nonono.gif As far as I can see, both, the extension Custom Buttons and my custom button "Toggle CSF" which I already posted for the UXP browsers here https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-extensions-and-custom-buttons-for-uxp-browsers-corrections-modifications-adjustments-and-special-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=1229561, work fine and are fully functional in Mypal 68. :cheerleader: 
If you don't immediately understand what's so special about all this, just try installing the extension Custom Buttons in Mypal 68 yourself, and you will see! :P

Here is a screenshot of my installations as proof:

[pic]

More on this topic soon. Will have to investigate and test it all in more detail first! Of course, it takes a little time, and unfortunately I still have to take it easy to finally get rid of this damn cough. So, stay tuned if interested! d010.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Myself = somewhat of a button fanatic, similar to you.

I have recently begun to use MyPal 68, and of course lost all of my UXP related extensions, including some for buttons.

I have been looking for compatible replacements, and your announcement is very encouraging ! :w00t:

I just tried to install Custom Buttons [which I first downloaded] from your linked page, and MyPal 68.12.beta5 says that the extension is corrupted.

This seems odd, because I can open the XPI file manually on my local hard drive, and can see and examine the other files which are inside of it.

Am I doing something wrong ?

You said something about needing to make additional changes in the browser.

Is that what I still need to do ?

And is that what you will be explaining in "More on this topic soon" ? :unsure:

Thanks.

Edited by Davesnothere

On 11/25/2022 at 1:19 AM, Davesnothere said:

Am I doing something wrong ?

No. The real problem is that the legacy extension Custom Buttons is targeting the UXP browsers and is not a webextension which is actually required for installing in Mypal 68.

On 11/25/2022 at 1:19 AM, Davesnothere said:

You said something about needing to make additional changes in the browser.

Is that what I still need to do ?

And is that what you will be explaining in "More on this topic soon" ? :unsure:

Exactly! In any case, the extension Custom Buttons 0.0.5.8.9.6-fixed8 can't be installed in Mypal 68. What you see in my provided screenshot as proof, is another, special, modified version of Custom Buttons, and additional changes have to be made in the confoguration of Mypal 68, too. Anyway! I posted my find or "news" more than one week ago, but I haven't seen any genuine interest so far. You are the first one who expresses such an interest. Thanks for that! thanx.gif
In any case, it will still need a bit more time as I am not in the best of health at the moment. And, I never post a solution that has not actually been tested. Not to mention that I would be happy if more members were interested, of course. :yes: But, as I like to say, hope dies last! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content