ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

On 3/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, VistaLover said:

One very important aspect of "v1.5_Rev3e" is that it contains internally "openssl-1.1.1d"... which bestows this "HTTPS Proxy" TLSv1.3 (final) capabilities ... "Rev3e" is the way to go! ...

Hi @VistaLover, you provided interesting facts about ProxHTTPSProxy REV3e. Maybe you missed my request addressed only to you: :o

On 3/25/2022 at 11:22 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Hi @VistaLover, we know by now that OpenSSL 1.1.1d supports TLS 1.3. So what do you think? What would it take to activate the already present capabilities of OpenSSL 1.1.1d in @heinoganda's ProxHTTPSProxy REV3e relating to TLS 1.3 and its ciphers to get them working in Windows XP? First of all, it is rather a theoretical question than a practical one.

You know I was kind enough to let you know of the reason(s) the original binary broke and what measures I actually took to restore intended functionality of cacert Updater. You see questions should lead to answers:yes: Perhaps you'd be kind enough to let me know what your point of view is to my request. :P As I pointed out it is rather a theoretical question than a practical one. Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

After a little break and some programming work, I've almost finished my current project. It is a fact that ProxHTTPSPoxy REV3e is the latest version of our proxies and therefore I'd like to switch to completely. But the lack of a systray menu like HTTPSProxy's was a reason against it. So I decided to create my own version of a ProxHTTPSPoxy systray menu. And now it is ready in first version.
Here we go! This is a screenshot of my ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu for more convenient use and control of its functions.
Prox-HTTPSProxy-s-systray-menu.png
I created it by combining self-programmed files, which execute specific tasks related to ProxyHTTPSProxy, with already existing programs. Of course, a single compiled program like HTTPSPoxy's launcher is great, but my "launcher" can be totally customized and continously extended according to user's needs due to its modular structure, therefore much more flexible. More features can be added easily without touching existent code. It's fully portable and can be copied to any location. Already implemented features are: Start, stop, hide and show ProxHTTPSPoxy. Check if ProxHTTPSPoxy is running (in RAM). Update cacert.pem and Root Certificates. Open and close IE Proxy settings. Edit config.ini and read documentation. I started creating weeks ago with continuing improvements and bug fixing. Now it's in testing phase. So far it's working without any problems.

Edited by AstroSkipper

37 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

After a little break and some programming work, I've almost finished my current project. It is a fact that ProxHTTPSPoxy REV3e is the latest version of our proxies and therefore I'd like to switch to completely. But the lack of a systray menu like HTTPSProxy's was a reason against it. So I decided to create my own version of a ProxHTTPSPoxy systray menu. And now it is ready in first version.
Here we go! This is a screenshot of my ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu for more convenient use and control of its functions.
I created it by combining self-programmed files, which execute specific tasks related to ProxyHTTPSProxy, with already existing programs. Of course, a single compiled program like HTTPSPoxy's launcher is great, but my "launcher" can be totally customized and continously extended according to user's needs due to its modular structure, therefore much more flexible. More features can be added easily without touching existent code. It's fully portable and can be copied to any location. Already implemented features are: Start, stop, hide and show ProxHTTPSPoxy. Check if ProxHTTPSPoxy is running (in RAM). Update cacert.pem and Root Certificates. Open and close IE Proxy settings. Edit config.ini and read documentation. I started creating weeks ago with continuing improvements and bug fixing. Now it's in testing phase. So far it's working without any problems.

This is awesome!

18 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Sounds great, looking forward to trying it out!
:worship:

18 hours ago, mina7601 said:

This is awesome!

17 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Very cool!  Is there a download link?  I read the first post like three times and see no reference to it, did I miss something?

Thanks for your replies and your interest in my work! And special thanks to @Dave-H and @mina7601 for supporting me continously! At the moment there is no download link. First of all it is just a preview of what, beside other projects, I've created the last weeks. 

@NotHereToPlayGames Therefore you won't find any related link. As mentioned before, I'm almost done with my project and now it's in testing phase. So far it's working as expected here. But everything must be checked and any improvements or corrections made if necessary. So still a bit of work. And first I'll just wait a bit and see how the overall interest is this time. In the past I spent a lot of time in writing informative articles and guides, assisting people who look for help, solving problems, modifying and fixing programs, keeping everything up to date and so on, but the overall interest expressed was rather low. A lot of reads and downloads, on the other hand only a few reactions and even fewer comments. Maybe it's just too tiring to show a reaction or leave a comment. And the best thing of all: The only request I had was not even answered. Except a reply of @Dave-H, of course, although the request wasn't addressed to him. Thanks again! Anyway, to me, all that is not really a sign of genuine interest. Of course I know nobody forced me to do all that, but anyway, It's actually a bit frustrating and not much fun in that way. Furthemore I think an author who shares his work with a community at least thrives on feedback and needs a bit of motivation for his creative ambitions. But anyway. I don't want to lose my fun in doing my work and only get annoyed by disrespectful behavior. In the old days my Latin teacher always tried to motivate us in translating by never stopping to say: New piece, new luck! And one thing is for sure: Time flies and will tell. Then we'll see. Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

Yes I did mention a while ago that it would be really great if it were possible to have ProxHTTPSProxyMII with HTTPSProxy's user interface, I'm so pleased to see that it looks as if it is possible!
I suspect that as far as XP is concerned there will be no further advances on the available proxy servers, which now seem to be pretty vital to keep full online access working on XP, once this has been done, that will be it for the foreseeable future.
You may well find that your work will be used by many people who will just take it for granted and not thank you for it or give you any feedback about it, but you'll get plenty from me I promise!
:yes:

19 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Very nice! The only reason I used httpsproxy is because it had a launcher. When your launcher is officially available for download, I will probably switch to that version. 

I'm looking forward to it.:)

Kind regards

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

And first I'll just wait a bit and see how the overall interest is this time. In the past I spent a lot of time in writing informative articles and guides, assisting people who look for help, solving problems, modifying and fixing programs, keeping everything up to date and so on, but the overall interest expressed was rather low. A lot of reads and downloads, on the other hand only a few reactions and even fewer comments.

Totally understand.  I also compare this to my rebuilds of 360Chrome.  A very VERY large number of hours but a very VERY tiny number of users.

But in the end, I had to do it for myself anyway because there were no XP browsers worthy of keeping XP around.

Roytam browsers were INCAPABLE of handling the modern web, plain and simple.

By rebuilding 360Chrome, I have extended my own use of XP by two years as I almost ditched XP completely two years ago.

I have not used your project (yet).  But I have been watching and sitting on the sidelines.

As of now, the thread is too long for anyone to jump-start and dive in unless they were watching from the beginning.

The first post is too long and confusing for new people to jump in, just my opinion.

Once the recent screen-cap version is available for use, I see it as a reason to then use this project and can then comment accordingly.

A new thread may be needed at that time, the first is kind of "busy" and confusing.  Too many download links - which ones are and are not "required", which ones are for historical "reference"?

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

55 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes I did mention a while ago that it would be really great if it were possible to have ProxHTTPSProxyMII with HTTPSProxy's user interface, I'm so pleased to see that it looks as if it is possible!
I suspect that as far as XP is concerned there will be no further advances on the available proxy servers, which now seem to be pretty vital to keep full online access working on XP, once this has been done, that will be it for the foreseeable future.
You may well find that your work will be used by many people who will just take it for granted and not thank you for it or give you any feedback about it, but you'll get plenty from me I promise!
:yes:

Thanks again for your support and your kind words! I appreciate your opinion very much. I hope you can understand a bit what's going on in my head right now. :)

7 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I hope you can understand a bit what's going on in my head right now.

Totally understand.  I haven't needed this project (yet) but do foresee the need.  The preview version is definitely where I saw this project going.  Looks great!

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Totally understand.  I also compare this to my rebuilds of 360Chrome.  A very VERY large number of hours but a very VERY tiny number of users.

Thanks for comparing of yours to mine! But I think that your project, which I will take a closer look at as soon as possible, is much more demanding and plays in a different league. I'm not a professional programmer and have little experience with high-level programming languages. I'm more of a batch programmer. My projects are probably less demanding than yours. Still, I feel quite honored. Thank you for the flowers! :w00t:

As of now, the thread is too long for anyone to jump-start and dive in unless they were watching from the beginning.

The first post is too long and confusing for new people to jump in, just my opinion.

My first post is rather meant as an article with full information about our existing proxies and will be maintained or extented if necessary. It is the result of my knowledge and a lot of researching. All important information in one place for those who are interested in that kind of stuff. I did my very best in well structuring of content and in full support of visitors or members. And I added my own stuff like modified, fixed, updated or self created versions of different tools. The people who find reading my article too tiring or simply too complicated, are not the people I want to reach or support.

A new thread may be needed at that time, the first is kind of "busy" and confusing.  Too many download links - which ones are and are not "required", which ones are for historical "reference"?

Therefore I disagree with making of a new thread. But I totally agree with your suggestion to restructure the download section. It has become a bit bloated and maybe confusing too. :yes: Thanks again for your opinion! Always welcome!

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

2 hours ago, maile3241 said:

Very nice! The only reason I used httpsproxy is because it had a launcher. When your launcher is officially available for download, I will probably switch to that version. 

I'm looking forward to it.:)

Kind regards

Thanks for your reply and your opinion! :)