ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

On 4/6/2022 at 7:24 PM, maile3241 said:

Hello @AstroSkipper I found something interesting in the www. This is a similar software as ProxhttpsProxy or HTTPSProxy that supports Tls 1.3 and it should even run under IE6. I tried to install it but failed.

Here is the link: https://bitbucket.org/ValdikSS/oldssl-proxy/src/master/

Best regards:)

Thanks for reporting! Sorry for delayed reply! As you know I was engaged in troubleshooting AU related problems and forgot totally your comment. I already found this proxy weeks ago but it's no solution for old computers running Windoes XP. You have to install a software called Docker, to create a container and so on. A modern OS is needed, therefore I didn't report my find at all. But thanks anyway! :)

On 4/8/2022 at 9:32 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks for reporting! Sorry for delayed reply! As you know I was engaged in troubleshooting AU related problems and forgot totally your comment. I already found this proxy weeks ago but it's no solution for old computers running Windoes XP. You have to install a software called Docker, to create a container and so on. A modern OS is needed, therefore I didn't report my find at all. But thanks anyway! :)

Okay, too bad. It would have been nice if there had been Tls 1.3 support for Xp.:(

Just to keep you informed, a short update of progress in development of my ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu. At first I provide a new screenshot documenting the current status of development:

Prox-HTTPSProxy-s-systray-menu-2.png

As you can see, three new items poroviding system proxy related functions have been added: "Check system proxy status", "Set ProxHTTPSProxy to mode System-wide" and "Set System to mode No proxy". I think now it is complete. All necessary functions have been added.
Here is the complete list of features implemented in ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu:

1. Start ProxHTTPSPoxy
2. Stop ProxHTTPSPoxy
3. Hide ProxHTTPSPoxy
4. Show ProxHTTPSPoxy
5. Check if ProxHTTPSPoxy is running (in RAM)
6. cacert.pem Update
7. Root Certificates Update
8. Open IE Proxy settings
9. Close IE Proxy settings
10. Check system proxy status
11. Set ProxHTTPSProxy to mode System-wide
12. Set System to mode No proxy
13. Edit config.ini
14. Read documentation

The test phase is slowly coming to an end. Any further suggestions, opinions or reactions are welcome, of course!

So long, AstroSkipper  :hello:

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

Looks great!
:thumbup
As #11 and #12 are enabling or disabling the same thing, I'm wondering if maybe that would be clearer if they were just labelled 'system-wide proxy on' and 'system-wide proxy off' or something like that?
:dubbio:
Also, does clicking the system tray icon toggle the console on and off as it does on HTTPSProxy?
Thanks very much for this, it will make a huge difference.
:yes:

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Looks great!
:thumbup

Thanks!

As #11 and #12 are enabling or disabling the same thing, I'm wondering if maybe that would be clearer if they were just labelled 'system-wide proxy on' and 'system-wide proxy off' or something like that?
:dubbio:

I labelled it due to their messages they have in output. But it can be changed easily. I have to think about it. Anyway, good suggestion!

Also, does clicking the system tray icon toggle the console on and off as it does on HTTPSProxy

No, the systray icon is not configurable. As I mentioned in my posts before, ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu is a synthesis of self-programmed executables and an already existent one. The provided functions corresponding to their labels are generally self-programmed executables and in a very few cases inserted commands. The base structure of the menu is already predetermined. The advantage of this menu is its modular character. Deleting, adding or modifying is no problem and can be done by user either if he is a bit experienced. Toggling ProxHTTPSPoxy's console is controlled by clicking on correspondent menu item. So one left click opens menu, next click executes desired function. Simple and easy. All icons in menu can even be changed by user too.

8 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

No, the systray icon is not configurable. As I mentioned in my posts before, ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu is a synthesis of self-programmed executables and an already existent one. The provided functions corresponding to their labels are generally self-programmed executables and in a very few cases inserted commands. The base structure of the menu is already predetermined. The advantage of this menu is its modular character. Deleting, adding or modifying is no problem and can be done by user either if he is a bit experienced. Toggling ProxHTTPSPoxy's console is controlled by clicking on correspondent menu item. So one left click opens menu, next click executes desired function. Simple and easy. All icons in menu can even be changed by user too.

That's a shame, as I've always found it very convenient to just click the tray icon if I want to examine the console output, and then just click the icon again to hide it.
I seem to remember that I could do that with ProxHTTPSProxy's tray icon when I had it installed before, but that may well have been because I was using a utility called 'TrayIt!' to put the icon into the system tray in the first place. It's so long ago now that I can't remember exactly how I did it!
:)

25 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That's a shame, as I've always found it very convenient to just click the tray icon if I want to examine the console output, and then just click the icon again to hide it.
I seem to remember that I could do that with ProxHTTPSProxy's tray icon when I had it installed before, but that may well have been because I was using a utility called 'TrayIt!' to put the icon into the system tray in the first place. It's so long ago now that I can't remember exactly how I did it!

It's just one click more. So, no thing I think! And then you have full control. BTW item labels are editable too. This menu is very stable. As far as I can remember TrayIt! hadn't been such a stable one. And hide and unhide are two functions you can't put in first place with tools like TrayIt!. In that case you need a self-programmed and compiled launcher created by using a higher programming language. I do things in a simple and practical way regarding to my skills.

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

On 4/16/2022 at 9:03 PM, Dave-H said:

Understood!
:yes:

I totally forgot to mention the main reason why you can't easily put ProxHTTPSProxy in first place. There are three executables relating to heinoganda's proxy, two located in program's root directory and the main executable in a subfolder of it, all with different functIons. In contrast HTTPSProxy has got only one executable. Therefore it's easy to put HTTPSProxy.exe in first place but not in case of ProxHTTPSProxy. :yes:

Update notification:

Due to false alarms generated by some virus scanners I had to completely recreate the cacert Updater Fixed. The previous version was just a fixed and modified variant of the original file. My Avast virus scanner was constantly analyzing the file cacert_Updater.exe and generating false alarms, although it was of course virus- and malware-free. Avast did not like this old version at all, probably because of non-matching CRC check sums. Here are the VirusTotal scan results of the old "cacert Updater Fixed" and the recreated "cacert Updater Fixed" file for comparison:

Old version of cacert_Updater_Fixed:

Virus-Total-cacert-updater-fixed-old-22-

Recreated version of cacert_Updater_Fixed:

Virus-Total-cacert-updater-fixed-recreat

Now you can see the success of recreating. Only one unimportant scanner reports a (false) warning. Therefore I provide a new download link of the recreated "cacert Updater Fixed" version.
Here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/file/y98gtqf8ewr6zz4/cacert_Updater_Fixed_Recreated.7z/file

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Announcement: ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu will be released in the next days

The test phase of ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu  has been finished successfully and I've decided to publish it in the next days. I still have to configure the download package, title it, write documentation and check it all.
Here is the latest screenshot of ProxHTTPSPoxy's systray menu:

Prox-HTTPSProxy-s-systray-menu-3.png

@Dave-H, as you can see I followed your suggestion to formulate the items as clear as possible for all users. :yes: Thanks again for your opinion!

Cheers, AstroSkipper :rolleyes:

On 5/1/2022 at 9:09 PM, Dave-H said:

Thanks, that looks great.
When you need a beta tester, you know where to ask!
Cheers, Dave.

Hi @Dave-H, thanks for wanting to be a beta tester! Never had a beta tester before! :no: I'll send you a PM!
Cheers, AstroSkipper :)