AHCI and ACPI for XP on Lenovo Netbook

Dave-H

Yes, there are 24 instances found.
Mostly in the CriticalDeviceDatabase sections of the three ControlSets.
There are also entries in the HKLM\System\<ControlSet>\Enum\PCI\ sections.

I'm having doubts about the ACPI system now, the AHCI driver seemed to work fine with the previous HAL, and I'm wondering if I'm now using the wrong one, or my method of updating it was faulty and it hasn't actually updated properly.
:dubbio:

Well I'm not having any luck so far.
Fortunately I took an ISO backup of the whole machine before i changed the HAL, so hopefully I can at least roll back to that condition.
I've tried removing all the devices that would let me remove them, and telling the system find and install them again, where it can.
This has made no difference.
I think what I will try next is to set the machine back to being a non-multiprocessor ACPI PC just using the Device Manager, to see if that will roll it back properly and whether things come good with the drivers.
I am beginning to wonder whether it will actually work as an ACPI Multiprocessor PC, although that's what Windows 10 says that it is!

That's actually a very good idea!
If I don't get anywhere with the experiments I'm doing now, that would make perfect sense as I've got nothing to lose by trying a new install to see what result that produces on this hardware.
:yes:

OK, I tried doing a new install from a Windows XP SP3 setup CD.
It loaded and then gave a stop A5 BSOD.
Looking here it seems as if this is possibly an insurmountable problem.
Of course the machine is fully ACPI compliant, as the Windows 10 installation indicates, but Windows XP setup is apparently not recognising it as being so, and I guess there's nothing that can be done about that. I suppose the hardware is just too new for Windows XP setup to be able to recognise.
I could install it with the standard HAL, but that would be really restrictive, and I'm not confident that it would be possible to update the HAL after the installation, at least no more than I have been able to do up until now with the existing installation.
I guess I've been lucky to get it working with any sort of ACPI HAL, and the Multiprocessor one just won't work.
What do you guys reckon? Cut my losses and be content with the partially working installation I've got on the ISO?

@Dave-H

Use the optional patch integrator on the integral edition (vanilla) ISO - that's what its for.

option 4 will solve the A5 BSOD

You'll also want options 1,3 and 5

So options 1,3,4,5

edit:

integral edition found here

https://www.zone94.com/downloads/software/operating-systems/123-windows-xp-professional-sp3-x86-integral-edition

Edited by Damnation

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

What do you guys reckon?

I think you should try what i advised to you in first answer in this topic - first thing in duckduckgo search on "Integral Edition 2021.5.15". And then if it fail try latest december Integral Edition version. As i say in my first post here - it is perfectly legal - that's why it is on archive.org. If you have licensed copy of XPSP3 you can install whatever slipstreamed XPSP3 version you want. I don't understand why you ignore my, Damnation and RainyShadow advise to try Integral Edition?

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I guess there's nothing that can be done about that. I suppose the hardware is just too new for Windows XP setup to be able to recognise.

On winraid topic that is now archived (and continued) on wincert they were different opinion. They thought Lenovo intentionally screw Ideapad Flex 10 bios to block other OS from being installed. I kinda agree with them. Cause it is Haswell generation Netbook. And XP successfully work now on Ryzen 5800X and Core i7 9700.

Edited by Rod Steel

Thanks @Damnationand @Rod Steel.

I had overlooked the fact that I had a modified ISO to install which will hopefully work where the standard install CD won't!
I will certainly now give it a try.

I wasn't wilfully ignoring the original advice to do that I promise, I just wanted to explore all other options first, which I have now exhausted I think!
If this installs and works OK, that will prove that it is possible for XP to work fully on the machine.
I'll then have to decide whether to just use that installation or to try again to get my existing installation to work, which surely must be possible if the modified ISO works.

Lenovo certainly haven't made some things easy. The first thing I found on the machine when I tried to put the network card from my previous machine into the Flex 10 as it's much better than the one already in it, was that Lenovo won't allow you to use any network card that they haven't whitelisted in the BIOS, so the machine wouldn't even start up with the replacement card in it! Why manufacturers feel the need to do things like that is a great mystery to me, what does it matter to them what network card you use once the machine is out of warranty?

Anyway, I will try with the modified ISO and report that.
Thank you all for your patience with me!
Cheers, Dave.
:)

OK, I've made the ISO, with the options 1, 3, 4, and 5 as specified by @Damnation, and burnt it to a CD.
When I boot from it, it loads everything, and when it gets to "Setup is Starting Windows" it produces the "Inaccessible Boot Device " 7B BSOD.
It does that with the BIOS set to ACHI and Compatible mode.

I've tried pressing F6 to load a mass storage driver, and I'm getting this.

20211223_174026.thumb.jpg.04003bc182b7d3d745104996da229298.jpg

If I press "S" it wants a driver from a floppy disk (!)
Needless to say, that's not an option!

Pressing "Enter" just produces the BSOD again of course.
So, what now?

OK, I've now restored the ISO backup of the machine, so it's back to booting and running fast in AHCI mode.
However it's not using the Multiprocessor HAL, so it's only using one core of the processor, and there are some other issues too.
I'm not too worried about the missing core, it's fast enough for my purposes, but there are a large number of errors in the Windows System log saying there are no IRQs available for a large number of devices. I guess this is an ACPI problem still.
I guess this is why the sound hardware has gone AWOL, as well as some other things.
I'm now going to experiment with the different versions of acpi.sys from the Integrator, to see if any of them give more functionality.

@Dave-H

It's odd that you got a 7B BSOD with option 1 - that's usually the driver that works. It works for my Threadripper 3960x machine, so it's odd that it does not work for you.

Fortunately the integrator has alternative options for this reason.

This time try options H, 3,4,5

Thanks, I will give that a try once I've done a few more tests with the machine as it is, and done a new ISO backup.
I'm working through the alternative versions or acpi.sys in the Integrator, so far none of the others have worked at all, all producing BSODs or one sort or another.
If the one I'm using proves to be the best, I'd still like to do a full new install just to see what final result it produces.
It may well be that it will never be possible to get all the hardware installed properly with XP, but that's the only way to know for sure.
I'm really in awe of the XP Integral Edition BTW, what an amazing piece of work by its creator! :worship:
My main annoyance now with the machine as it is is that I can't get my wireless mouse to work. It's appearing as a keyboard, but not as a mouse!
I gather that the dongles used by these devices do often appear as a keyboard as well as a mouse, as they can be used for either, but mine's appearing only as a keyboard.
As the touchpad on the machine, even with the correct driver, is physically one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever used on a computer, I really need that mouse working!

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

My main annoyance now with the machine as it is is that I can't get my wireless mouse to work. It's appearing as a keyboard, but not as a mouse!

Does it use bluetooth, or it's some noname wireless protocol? 

If the latter, it should work even without any OS. 

Check in BIOS setup, if it has graphical UI the mouse should work there too. Also verify your keyboard/mouse/usb settings while you're there :P 

Do you have a keyboard to go along with that mouse? Try to manually change the driver to usb composite device (or to whatever your other OS is using).