AHCI and ACPI for XP on Lenovo Netbook

Dave-H

Hi all! :hello:
This is really a sort of continuation of this thread, but as this is yet another machine, I thought a new thread would be appropriate.

I got very tired with my previous Asus X102BA netbook being so slow and unresponsive, and I stupidly managed to crack its screen! :o
I therefore started looking around for a better same-sized replacement.

I have ended up with a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 10, which although it's missing a few hardware facilities like an Ethernet port and a card reader, is generally a much better machine. I did what I did the first two times when I updated my netbook, I just swapped the drive across from the previous machine.

It is dual boot Windows 10 32 bit and Windows XP 32 bit, although like it's Asus predecessor it's a 64 bit machine.
It was originally designed for Windows 8/8.1 64 bit, but when I got it, it had been updated to Windows 10 64 bit.

My 32 bit Windows 10 is fine of course, after a bit of tinkering and reconfiguration. I had to disable UFEI of course, which threw me for a short while. I didn't actually realise that it fundamentally only works with 64 bit operating systems! :blushing:

After that Windows 10 seemed fine, but trying to boot into Windows XP produced a rather unexpected BSOD which I'd never seen before saying that the BIOS wasn't ACPI compatible.
To cut a long and at the moment irrelevant story short (there will be another thread about this in due course!) I managed to get Windows XP configured as a "standard PC" to work around that problem, but the next BSOD was the dreaded "Inaccessible Boot Device". So I'm now back with the good old issue of how to get it to boot XP in AHCI mode.

Where I am now is this. With the BIOS set to AHCI, Windows 10 boots fine, but XP just blue screens.
If I set the BIOS to compatible mode, Windows 10 blue screens, but after failing a couple of times and going into the repair routine, I am offered the choice of booting into another OS, and if I select XP it then boots OK. Hardly a permanent option of course!

The previous second Asus machine was AMD based, and we found a fix for that by installing an AMD driver.
The current machine is Intel based, as the first machine was, and on that machine I simply installed the Intel Application Accelerator and that fixed the boot problem, and I thought that would work on this machine too.
Unfortunately not of course! :(

When I try to install it I just get a message that the hardware isn't compatible.
I also have an Intel Rapid Storage AHCI driver which also won't install on this machine.

There are people who say they have produced universal AHCI drivers for XP, but I've had no luck with any of them either, if I force install them XP won't boot in AHCI or compatible mode, and the only way back in is to use Windows 10 to restore the registry!

The machine uses the Bay Trail chipset, with a Celeron N2840 CPU.

Anyone any ideas?
Thanks, Dave.
:)

On 12/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, Dave-H said:

trying to boot into Windows XP produced a rather unexpected BSOD which I'd never seen before saying that the BIOS wasn't ACPI compatible.

It is 2014 year laptop. It's probably uses new ACPI mode. There were new ACPI drivers for windows XP from enthusiasts. Maybe it will help.

Brevity is soul of wit, so...

1)   Read this with google translate or find on this page English txt to download:  https://forum.simplix.info/viewtopic.php?id=722

2)   Choose slip-streamed Integral Edition (like for example "Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - Integral Edition 2021.5.15" - just google it). If you have licensed XP you have the full right to use slip-streamed version. Or patch your own XP version with "WinXP-IE Optional Patch Integrator" to add universal ACPI and AHCI etc.

Thank you both so much!
:worship:
I will investigate those possibilities and report back.
I should add that I am very anxious to be able to do this without reinstalling the operating system from scratch!
Cheers, Dave.
:yes:

49 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I should add that I am very anxious to be able to do this without reinstalling the operating system from scratch!

I know that feeling. I had perfectly configured XP setup on old mainboard (asus m2n-sli deluxe) that did not want reload os when moved to new mainboard (Asus H87M-PLUS) and used lot of effort to remove old drivers, convert it to achi, install new drivers, reconfigure anything that relied on old drivers because it was less effort compared fresh install of windows and software and tweaks :buehehe:

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Install on a different drive, then once you confirm which non-standard drivers make it work you could port them to your old install. 

For a slipstreamed install i have used the one from zone94.com in the past. 

Also, if you can find a cheap deal for Acronis Universal Restore, it is very useful when moving your OS. Just make sure to get the version with support for XP !

Edited by RainyShadow

I've been trying with the "WinXP-IE Optional Patch Integrator".
I've downloaded it fine, and it appears to contain loads of drivers, but when I run the batch file it eventually fails on "extracting "WinXP-IE "x(Vanilla).iso" file".
It then fails on "Cannot find archive".
What is that and where can I get it?
I've drawn a blank everywhere so far.
:(

Dave , I had successfuly installed XP 64 (long time ago, without any updates) on my Haswell Laptop from 2013-2014 using only this AHCI driver .

iaStor64.sys ver. 11.2.0.1006 x64

I don't remember where I got it .

P.S.

I can send it to you, of course.

Edited by Dixel
P.S.

10 hours ago, Dixel said:

Dave , I had successfuly installed XP 64 (long time ago, without any updates) on my Haswell Laptop from 2013-2014 using only this AHCI driver .

iaStor64.sys ver. 11.2.0.1006 x64

I don't remember where I got it .

P.S.

I can send it to you, of course.

Thanks, but isn't that only for 64 bit? 🤔

I'm actually away overnight tonight, so I'll pick this up again tomorrow. Thanks all! 👍

On 12/11/2021 at 1:34 AM, Dave-H said:

trying with the "WinXP-IE Optional Patch Integrator".
I've downloaded it fine, and it appears to contain loads of drivers, but when I run the batch file it eventually fails on "extracting "WinXP-IE "x(Vanilla).iso" file"

Rename your winXP iso or search for windows-xp-professional-sp3-x86-integral-edition

it will work with Lenovo IdeaPad

Edited by LowLander

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, but isn't that only for 64 bit? 🤔

I'm actually away overnight tonight, so I'll pick this up again tomorrow. Thanks all! 👍

Yes , 64 bit . I thought perhaps you could install x64 . It's better than nothing after all. Actually , you need to slipstream it with Nlite and choose "TXT mode" driver only . It worked for me , and I don't like to complicate things . 

Hi Dave,

I have followed many tutorials and hints about porting drivers into XP. I created some of them according my XP2ESD project. Few days back I added ability to integrate them using nLite.

Here is whole ported drivers collection for 32bit and 64bit XP or 2003.

32bit

AMD_SATA_1.2.001.0337
AMD_SATA_1.2.001.0402
Generic_AHCI_6.2.9200.16384
Generic_MSAHCI_6.1.7601.23403
Generic_NVMe_6.1.7601.23403
Generic_UASP_6.1.7600.4002
Generic_USB3x_6.2.9200.21180
IRST_16.8.3.1003
IRST_18.36.3.1019
RSTe_4.7.0.1119
Samsung_NVMe_3.3.0.2003

64bit

AMD_SATA_1.2.001.0337
AMD_SATA_1.2.001.0402
Generic_AHCI_6.2.9200.16384
Generic_MSAHCI_6.1.7601.23403
Generic_NVMe_6.1.7601.23403
Generic_UASP_6.1.7600.4002
Generic_USB3x_6.2.9200.21180
IRST_16.8.2.1002
RSTe_4.7.0.1119
Samsung_NVMe_3.3.0.2003

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1rkvwx5gv37l3xc/PortedDrivers-WindowsXP+Windows2003_x86+x64_v9.7z/file
Edited by George King

On 12/11/2021 at 3:44 PM, LowLander said:

Rename your winXP iso or search for windows-xp-professional-sp3-x86-integral-edition

it will work with Lenovo IdeaPad

Thanks, I found that and downloaded it and the batch script now works to completion. :yes:
Unfortunately again it seems to be all about building an ISO to do a new installation of Windows XP, which is not what I really need.
I ideally need drivers which I can just install into my existing installation.
:)