Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

Palemoon drama has gotten bad


Wunderbar98
 Share

Recommended Posts


Am I the only one who didn't touch anything FF related all these years ? I've never heard of this browser either, until now.

Also , I do not know anyone who uses FF. Are they that good to get so much attention from MSFN users ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't classify FF as "that good" (far from, in my opinion).

FF did have a "Lemmings-Like" "Cult Following" in the late 90s - and a "cult" seems like the best way to describe it "in hindsight".

People "flocked" (pun intended, Flock was the name of another web browser back in that era) to FF in droves, "no questions asked", it was touted as the "safest" and most "secure" and people bought into the HYPE.

According to this article ( https://www.visualcapitalist.com/internet-browser-market-share/ ), FF peaked at 32% market share (I guess it actually surprises me that it peaked that LOW, but it was during an era of cell phone browsers carving out small slices of market share).

Also according to the same article, it looks like Chrome is on track to be only the third web browser to surpass 90% market share.

This page ( https://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share ) puts Chrome at 65%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

FF did have a "Lemmings-Like" "Cult Following" in the late 90s - and a "cult" seems like the best way to describe it "in hindsight".

FF? You mean netscape, then FF in the early 2000s. I wonder which new FOSS browser would pick up the slack. PM (laf) wont be it. Chromium derivatives laf square

Edited by dmiranda
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

Am I the only one who didn't touch anything FF related all these years ? I've never heard of this browser either, until now.

Also , I do not know anyone who uses FF. Are they that good to get so much attention from MSFN users ?

I do not use firefox, but use gecko render engine based browser (Webbrowser, Mypal, Newmoon). I do not like Chromium at all personally.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still use an old palemoon at home but I stopped caring about what they have to say when they decided to put in blocks for XP. And I don't even use their browser in XP, it is just that type of behaviour I cannot stand from software developers. In regards to the drama, readers of browser threads on this forum will see some familiar names in there, so it really shouldn't be any surprise that some people like to stir pots and make mountains out of molehills.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've known it since the days it started as a Firefox rebuild with tweaked compiler parameters. Used it at first for some time, then Australis came and it didn't seem anyone wanted to work on Tab Groups extension for Pale Moon, which additions of later versions I liked.

Tab Groups used to be part of Firefox in the old days, then removed at some point, someone picked it up and maintained it as an extension, but the functionality didn't fly with Pale Moon devs/users, so it remained in frozen state for that browser. I also remember the browser didn't support some JS stuff at first that YouTube wanted to stream higher definition videos.

So hopped back onto Firefox and remained on it until version 51, the latter which I used until the day I started noticing some sites breaking. Then went Basilisk, today I mostly hop between Pale Moon and Basilisk.

While I always have some Chromium variant at ready, I've come to the conclusion that the grass isn't greener on the other side. Might check out how Firefox looks one of these days. Last version I remember using was the last one with Flash support.

Edited by UCyborg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

dunno what is all that there about
but i'll say, i ditched Pale Moon long time ago, and tried Basilisk only once and it was unstable bloated garbage

last ~4 years waterfox "classic" fullfills all my needs

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always kind of been a "browser junkie".

I'll have ONE default browser that has to work on ALL of my 24 bookmarked finance, news, and entertainment websites.

But tend to always have a small handful of browsers "on the side".

My longest-running default was GreenBrowser coupled with Proxomitron - 17yr run at least, could be more (going by my archived installation disks).

During that run, my secondary tended to be Sleipnir and I kept Maxthon and Opera around but didn't really use them that often.

It became a daily "tweak" to keep Proxomitron happy with all of my bookmarks (back then a much longer list of daily forums and whatnot that I've lost track of). 

A couple finance sites would no longer work so that lead me to "official" Pale Moon which I used for three, maybe four years, right in through there.

I discovered Mypal to load FASTER and work on everything I needed it to work on and used it for two or three years.

NM28 became my default for a few months or so but then opted for NM27 and it was my default for two or three years.

I grew tiresome of updating WEEKLY and also found that NEWER versions of NM28 and NM27 were actually performing SLOWER than older versions.

So I dropped back down to Mypay 27.9.4 for only about a year until having issues with the same couple of finance sites that lead me to "official" Pale Moon in the first place.

I then ran 360Chrome v13 for several months and have been on 360Chrome v12 for the last couple of months.

I use 360Chrome v11 in most of my VirtualBox VMs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • dencorso changed the title to Palemoon drama has gotten bad
5 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I've always kind of been a "browser junkie".

I'll have ONE default browser that has to work on ALL of my 24 bookmarked finance, news, and entertainment websites.

But tend to always have a small handful of browsers "on the side".

My longest-running default was GreenBrowser coupled with Proxomitron - 17yr run at least, could be more (going by my archived installation disks).

During that run, my secondary tended to be Sleipnir and I kept Maxthon and Opera around but didn't really use them that often.

It became a daily "tweak" to keep Proxomitron happy with all of my bookmarks (back then a much longer list of daily forums and whatnot that I've lost track of). 

A couple finance sites would no longer work so that lead me to "official" Pale Moon which I used for three, maybe four years, right in through there.

I discovered Mypal to load FASTER and work on everything I needed it to work on and used it for two or three years.

NM28 became my default for a few months or so but then opted for NM27 and it was my default for two or three years.

I grew tiresome of updating WEEKLY and also found that NEWER versions of NM28 and NM27 were actually performing SLOWER than older versions.

So I dropped back down to Mypay 27.9.4 for only about a year until having issues with the same couple of finance sites that lead me to "official" Pale Moon in the first place.

I then ran 360Chrome v13 for several months and have been on 360Chrome v12 for the last couple of months.

I use 360Chrome v11 in most of my VirtualBox VMs.

I do same but no as wide list. Mypal is my main browser but I sometimes use Otter browser and Retrozilla and sometimes more minimal netsurf or most minimal Lynx when feel like I do not want anything but text.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, vinifera said:

dunno what is all that there about

Usually it was about people who fork their browsers not following the MPL license or using generic de-branded names in their forks, so "New Moon" became synonymous with Pale Moon for Windows XP and "Serpent" became synonymous with Basilisk for Windows XP.

Then some are upset because they made their repos private and only release source code in TAR archives.

Edited by UCyborg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...