Jump to content

StartAllBack for Windows 11


Tihiy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Tihiy said:

If I manage to reliably crash explorer at the SIB volume (hundreds of thousands of users), Microsoft writes me an angry letter and then comes to repeatedly punch me.

This is not the case here, moreover, crash you experience would be known since 2012

I've prepared a special version to work this around 

http://startisback.com/StartAllBack_setup.exe

However I would like that you try to find the culprit that triggers this crash, try to narrow down the scenario or capture a crash dump

With the official actual version I had many of this crashes.
I could not find any special action to reproduce it, it just happened.
It started after the last official update.
This setup fixed it for me.
No more crashes.

Edited by Horst
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2022 at 3:01 PM, Tihiy said:

If I manage to reliably crash explorer at the SIB volume (hundreds of thousands of users), Microsoft writes me an angry letter and then comes to repeatedly punch me.

This is not the case here, moreover, crash you experience would be known since 2012

I've prepared a special version to work this around 

http://startisback.com/StartAllBack_setup.exe

However I would like that you try to find the culprit that triggers this crash, try to narrow down the scenario or capture a crash dump

I have no idea if you're referring to me and my post, This forum has a quote feature, Do you know that it exists?

And no, StartAllBack is in continuous beta, There is no official easy to find support forum for it either.

StartAllBack has received harsh criticism elsewhere by Windows experts. The consensus is not to use it by experts unlike from the sycophantic websites who promote this application.

Furthermore, you have the .exe file hidden in C:\Users\Username\Appdata and you have implanted it in Control Panel. An automatic shortcut should be created and placed on the user's desktop 

If one is running Windows 10, I suggest everyone use Classic Shell. For Windows 11, there's nothing now until Classic Shell is updated.

Edited by Hmm888
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Horst said:

With the official actual version I had many of this crashes.
I could not find any special action to reproduce it, it just happened.
It started after the last official update.
This setup fixed it for me.
No more crashes.

If the setup is so good, why is it not in the official version? I remain skeptical. Wait a few weeks and come back with an update. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fix was added in 3.4.2. There were other reports about this crash which was introduced with 3.4. Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello

Is it possible to add to SAB, the option "Use classical drive grouping in This PC" of ONE ?

And what is the "Dynamic Transparency" option for ?
I don't see a difference

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 1:23 AM, Hmm888 said:

StartAllBack has received harsh criticism elsewhere by Windows experts. The consensus is not to use it by experts unlike from the sycophantic websites who promote this application.

This Windows experts never used it and call themself experts.
For me it brings back all missing features of the taskbar in Windows 11.
There will be a Windows 11 update which brings back this missing functions
and then there is no more a need for this tool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, T. BugReporter said:

Just updated to 3.3.9d, and I'm mildly disappointed - in that this version seems to be supportive of Microsoft's efforts to drain all the color from our lives. :unsure:

If some colour is all we're losing, I'd be fine.
The app may need to follow the track MS is taking because: maybe some relevant functions are being dropped from DLLs in 22h2, and to keep compatibility/stability.

 

On 5/25/2022 at 4:53 AM, Hmm888 said:

StartAllBack has received harsh criticism elsewhere by Windows experts. The consensus is not to use it by experts unlike from the sycophantic websites who promote this application.

Then count me a sycophant, lol ? Your recommendation of Classic Shell was no good, for my needs. Other offerings in the space didn't help me either.
Sure, you can argue that SAB is basically a collection of mods. And I'm fine by that, the dev is actively maintaining and updating it, instead of suggesting forum links for a disparate collection of mods that may not play well together as versions keep changing.

I don't know what "harsh criticism" you are talking about.  :lol:
Is it from the same "experts" who propose migrating to Mac/Linux every few weeks? Is it from the same experts who suggest deep system tweaks and service removals, and then cry when that results in a buggy experience?
What i do know, is that SAB is the ONE tool that made Windows 11 tolerable. It was worth the simple $5 license, and I think discouraging the developer with such posts is wrong.
 

Quoting below, my post from back when I found this near-miracle of an app! It is still awesome and will be required, as even win11 23h2 does not seem to have any intention of fixing the dumbed-down UI.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:12 AM, prathapml said:

... solves a major problem for me ...

 

Edited by prathapml
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Horst said:

There will be a Windows 11 update which brings back this missing functions
and then there is no more a need for this tool.

You have great faith. When the Windows team over the course of nearly a year ignores the #1 request, and doesn't even talk about, it's not a great sign. And there are more where that came from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/24/2022 at 11:48 AM, Tihiy said:

I don't see what could reset it. Works even if you toggle classic taskbar.

Sorry, it was caused by ExplorerPatcher, I should've tested with EP disabled first.

Edited by BlakByte
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 10:35 AM, T. BugReporter said:

Just updated to 3.3.9d, and I'm mildly disappointed - in that this version seems to be supportive of Microsoft's efforts to drain all the color from our lives. :unsure:

Can't find this - not that it'll make a whole lot of difference, but I should at least be able to get back the yellow folder icon in the title bar.

I personally like what is being done, honestly.

@Tihiy once in a while, when rightclicking the startbutton, it shows a light menu rather than dark. Any idea what's causing this? Video of issue.

On this PC I am not using ExplorerPatcher as well.

These are my Windows theme settings:

image.png.852ccadff3935fb3fe0c9ab339308817.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It's the mica tweak disable on build 22621?

With the "Show accent color on title bars and window borders" setting the global mica is disabled on 22H2.

Edited by JFX
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Tihiy pinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...