360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

Moebius is the code name of the platform used for @roytam1's "Serpent 55" browser. It's based on an alpha version of Firefox 53, so it supports more of Mozilla's WebExtension add-ons than the UXP platform.

However, these days Moebius is showing its age. UXP browsers (including BNavigator) have kept up a bit better with today's "Googlized" Web, although not as good as Chromium itself, of course. I confirmed that Dropbox works OK with IceApe (another UXP browser), so it's probably fine on all UXP browsers.

9 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

However, these days Moebius is showing its age. UXP browsers (including BNavigator) have kept up a bit better with today's "Googlized" Web, although not as good as Chromium itself, of course.

Agreed (x2).

I've always been a proud-follower of whatever web browser I landed on for whatever reasons I landed on it, and their has been many over the decades.  But "follower" and "loyalty" are two different things.  Not a fan of "browser wars" (I feel the browser-war mentality is actually kinda behind 'why' "official" Pale Moon has landed where it has landed).

I'm kinda curious just how many people are truly interested in a "dark theme" for my releases?

It seems like a crapload of work for something I myself will never use.

I'm too far in to just cancel, but my timeline changes if "twenty" people are interested or if "four" people are interested.

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm kinda curious just how many people are truly interested in a "dark theme" for my releases?

Someone else and I are interested in the black/gray mode... watch out outfit:worship:

I still have more work to do on it but here is a preview.

Still to do  --
Correct Settings left column tab icon positions and selected tab color (corrected below only via Developer Tools)
Several default dark theme text files are not shared with global en-us locales file - isolate which ones and move to global en-us locales file or translate direclty within dark-theme skin file
Remove Mute Audio and Tab Foreground/Background icons from Status Bar (these never did work and will be removed from standard XP theme also)
Correct default red text for certificate errors - default green on gray for valid certs is legible but default red on gray for invalid certs is not
Correct sub-setting backgrounds for nested setting panels - do not like a dark gray background turning into bright gray when that panel becomes secondary
Incognito tab needs changed to dark but not in a way that effects non-dark themes
Change white buttons for items such as "Manage exceptions"
... I'm sure there is more but those are what comes to mind offhand

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

21 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

It seems like a crapload of work for something I myself will never use.

I'm interested, but if it's an unreasonable amount of work, it's hardly a critical thing!

37 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

I'm interested, but if it's an unreasonable amount of work, it's hardly a critical thing!

It's actually a fun hobby so it doesn't really bother me how long it takes.
To be honest, my XP Theme took some time also but I had more of a vested interest in it and it was something I took on as a side project long before deciding to upload rebuilds.

The whole rebuilds project has admittedly been a bit of an eye-opener.
I *need* 360Chrome - NOTHING else compares as far as a "one-stop shop" for browsing from XP.

An eye-opener as to just how "dead" this "dying breed" really is.
Holding out 'til the very end  --  Long Live XP.

56 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

...An eye-opener as to just how "dead" this "dying breed" really is.
Holding out 'til the very end  --  Long Live XP.

Yeah, gonna hang in there 'till the bitter end; as well, until nothing works!

I think we all appreciate the benifits of your hobby and should keep a sense of humor about it all. :)

16 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Remove Mute Audio and Tab Foreground/Background icons from Status Bar (these never did work and will be removed from standard XP theme also)

Correction - keeping these status bar icons.

The foreground/background DOES WORK (just not as I originally envisioned that it was supposed to work).

To illustrate, whenever you highlight a word on a page and then open the right-click context menu, one of the options is that you can search that highlighted word using your default search engine.

The foreground/background option will change whether this right-click context menu search will open in a background tab or open in a new tab and that tab become the current tab.

I wouldn't really call this "background/foreground" - but at least now that I know "how" it works, I can put it to use so will keep it in the status bar.

I suspect the same may end up being true for the "mute" icon - it may have a certain scenario functionality and is more of a Chinese original intent language barrier on how it has evolved into the English version.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:49 AM, Mathwiz said:

Mozilla's JIT compiler is the key to their impressive JavaScript speed. Unfortunately it doesn't help with compatibility with the latest Googlisms, hence the need for 360EE. Its JavaScript may be slower but at least it can handle the World Wide Google....

I've found some explications on the web:

"IonMonkey is the JavaScript JIT compiler used by the Mozilla Firefox. V8 is the JavaScript JIT compiler used by Google Chrome."

"V8 is Google’s open source high-performance JavaScript and WebAssembly engine, written in C++. It is used in Chrome and Node.js, among others. It implements ECMAScript andWebAssembly, and runs on Windows 7 or later..."

-so no V8 on Windows XP, I see?...no possibility to put the V8 code in 360Chrome , DcBrowser?...

Sorry for my dumb question...

In 360Chrome or DcBrowser:
If I change my user-agent with the help of an extension, why SPEED-BATTLE page always brings the real user-agent? But WHOER note change...So I have to believe to user-agent announced by SPEED-BATTLE rather than the one reported by all other testers: WHOER and webbrowsertools.com and WhatIsMyBrowser.com.. useragentstring.com?.etc.. Which one is true?

Most user-agent extensions aren't really smart enough to "really" work.

For starters, there are two (that I know of) methods that a web browser advertises its user agent  --  HTTP user-agent and JavaScript API navigator.userAgent.

Most user-agent extensions only deal with HTTP user-agent and do nothing as far as JavaScript API navigator.userAgent.

So...  When you want to "fake" BOTH the HTTP and the .js API, I suggest using a feature already built in to 360Chrome  --  the Developer Tools Console.

Here's how  --  Note that this only works on the tab that contains the Developer Tools.

Open the Developer Tools and right next to the "X" that closes the Developer Tools is a "three-dot" icon to "Customize and control Dev Tools".

It will open a small context menu and in that menu you will see "More tools".

Hover over "More tools" and you will see another menu.  In this menu, click on "Network conditions".

There is an option for "User agent" that will always default to "Select automatically".

Unselect the "Select automatically" checkbox.

Select the User Agent that you want to "fake".

Refresh the page and that page now loads as if you are the faked User Agent you just set.

Again, this only works for the tab that contains the Developer Tools.

You can be one user agent in one tab, a different user agent in a different tab, a third agent in a third tab, you can fake as many as you want but it is "per tab".

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames