360 Extreme Explorer ArcticFoxie Versions

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

ps - I think there are config settings that I have set for security purposes which lower Mypal, NM, and BNav results - not sure, just UNGODLY low!

Testing this theory out of curiosity.  Using my Arctic Fox 2019 profile in Arctic Fox 2021 and in NM27 2021 (tested on i7-4770 @ 3.40 GHz w/ 16 GB RAM in XP x64 SP2).
ie, all three of these tests are with the same exact profile as I really don't recall which, if any, about:config changes I made when I was using Arctic Fox 2019.

Arctic Fox (December 19, 2019)   ==   1417.01   1433.34   1440.03      (holy crap!  first time I've ran this test and this browser on my i7!)
Arctic Fox (November 11, 2021)   ==   1462.38   1438.28   1458.66
New Moon 27.10.0 (2021-11-12)   ==   1440.03   1420.79   1438.28

Confirms it.  But I don't recall which about:config changes I've made since 2019 "in the name of security" but clearly at the cost of "performance".

On 11/12/2021 at 11:31 AM, rereser said:

v13.5-3 regular.
have added this to the loader.ini :
DirRemove=%Profile%\Default\Feature Engagement Tracker
folder was somehow created ...
https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/master:components/feature_engagement/README.md;l=1?q="feature engagement"&ss=chromium

Feature Engagement Tracker is yet another annoying junk .

https://www.socketlabs.com/blog/secure-engagement-tracking-solves-chrome-image-security-issues-with-socketlabs-unique-approach-allows-email-white-labeling-and-link-encryption/

"The backend behaves as a black box ..."

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/020c1992c67d99bd0a6d994ce6d14d450a639ed7/components/feature_engagement_tracker/

On 11/13/2021 at 5:24 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

If you want electricity at the house, you only have ONE local electric company.
If you want water at the house, you only have ONE local water company.

My local water billpay website, effective within the last two weeks, no longer works in 360Chrome v11 or v12 when it has for the past year!

My electric/water "company" is the city in which I live, so I'm in the same boat (unless I want to move!). So, I just use their auto-pay service; after all, I have to pay the bill each month, whether I like how much it is or not!

But how do I see how much it's going to be each month so I can plan? Turns out, the USA has this great service - they will actually deliver a printed document detailing my monthly expenses straight to my house! Yes, it's a bit slower than seeing it online, but it still arrives in plenty of time, and no "browser" is required to read it!

For cable (which I use for Internet service only; for TV, well, I stream some of it, but it turns out there's a lot available - much of it in HD - at no monthly cost whatsoever, using an amazing piece of technology I've discovered, called an "antenna"), it gets even better! This "postal service" works both ways so I can send them a document called a "check" authorizing them to deduct my payment directly from my bank account! The charge for this "postal service?" Only about 1% of my bill.

Kids these days....

On 11/13/2021 at 10:59 AM, Montana Slim said:

I'm confused. Is ArcticFoxie now NotHereToPlayGames or is this a different user? If so... why?

On 11/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Same user.

I rather like the new handle! I guess the old handle no longer made sense because you're no longer using Arctic Fox as your main browser?

47 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

Only about 1% of my bill.

I'm not a fan of paying that 1%.  I avoid using postage stamps.  I bought two booklets of the "Forever Stamp" in 2008/2009 (right around there because I bought this house in 2007).  A booklet is 20 stamps so I bought 40.  We are closing in on 2022 and I still have 26 of those 40 "Forever Stamps".

I personally and sincerely hope that there comes a day when the US Post Office delivers mail only ONE day per week!  Not six days, but ONE day per week!

https://keller.house.gov/media/in-the-news/usps-has-lost-78-billion-2007-despite-receiving-billions-taxpayers-every-year

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Only about 1% of my bill.

I had to grab a calculator just for curiosity.

Firstly, HOLY CRAP, a postage stamp is 58 cents?  When did that happen?  I could have sworn we were only at 42 cents!

So that postage stamp adds 3.6% to my $15.98 water bill.  Just seems wasteful to me  :P

Yeah, my water bill is cheap too, but in my case, water and electric is all bundled together, and electric is a lot more. (AIUI Texas has some of the highest electric bills in the US.) So the city gets a break: the same 58 cents (just recently went up from 55) covers a bill that's usually well over $200.

On 11/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Confirms it.  But I don't recall which about:config changes I've made since 2019 "in the name of security" but clearly at the cost of "performance".

For those following the http://www.speed-battle.com/speedtest_e.php test results - I found the "security" setting that drops ALL of my Mozilla-based browsers to UNGODLY LOW scores.

For "security", I disable IonMonkey just-in-time compiler because this Mozilla-based vulnerability is listed on various security exploits lists over and over and over.  It gets patched one week to be exploited the next.

So I disable IonMonkey JIT with this about:config setting  --  javascript.options.ion -> false (default setting is true).

For reference  --

BNav scores with this set to true   --   1415.32   1412.07   1408.19

BNav scores with this set to false   --   156.12   153.80   159.93      (despite the massive hit to performance, I still prefer IonMonkey JIT to be disabled (ie, set to false))

Confirm.

Basilisk/Serpent MOEBIUS 55: 

javascript.options.ion -> true (default): so SPEED BATTLE results: 363 388 366 365 365 369 399 360 347 366 363 373...

javascript.options.ion -> false (user set): so SPEED BATTLE results: 37.7 37 37 38.28 37 37.96 ...

- in normal window or in Private window - this same...

Have set to true (default), but my Moebius is always very lazy to move faster...

Makes sense. Mozilla's JIT compiler is the key to their impressive JavaScript speed. Unfortunately it doesn't help with compatibility with the latest Googlisms, hence the need for 360EE. Its JavaScript may be slower but at least it can handle the World Wide Google....

The ultimate irony: Even Dropbox apparently requires more Googlisms than Moebius, at least, can provide; so I can't even use Moebius to download 360EE! I just get a blank screen; no download. Have to use (yuck) ChrEdge on Win 7. Not sure what an XP user is supposed to do....