List of software that doesn't support Windows 7

asdf2345

4 hours ago, Leokids123 said:

Techinically as the system requirements says,it requires windows 10 despite it working in 7

Most likely, the developer just does not test the workability in 7 and will not answer questions related to it. But all components support 7, so if there are no artificial limitations, everything should work.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:42 AM, ED_Sln said:

Mkvtoolnix 69 does not work in Win 7 and 8.1. The developers have added a lot of new system calls and libraries like api-ms..., which are not present in either 7 or 8.1. VxKex also did not help, there is no system call in user33.dll, so I couldn't run it in any way mkvtoolnix-gui.exe. :( mkvmerge.exe starts after adding api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll, so that anyone who uses the console version can continue to use it.

First unofficial build with QT5 for Win7/8.1 is here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/405407-NON-OFFICIAL-Windows-builds-of-MKVtoolnix-do-they-exist#post2663774

On 7/7/2022 at 12:28 AM, xpandvistafan said:

Eventually I will expect Microsoft will block the older version of OneDrive and force you to upgrade to the latest version. As if more versions of VxKex will be released, I am not sure, as development had been put on hold temporarily in April. You can follow the VxKex thread and updates will be posted there. As far as I know, the latest interim release of VxKex does in fact work with the latest version of OneDrive. With the most current OneDrive installer, do you get the same SetThreadInformation error? 

Yes, same error.

The build of Wolfenstein: The New Order from Epic Games does not open on Windows 7. It requires a file api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0.dll which is said to be in a VCRedist but it is only from Windows 8 (or 10) and does not get installed on Windows 7. I did not try to get this file from a Windows 8 system to see if that allowed it to run or lead to any other message.

The api-set DLLs that are supplied as part of the OS as opposed to being distributed with the VC++ runtime are tied to apisetschema.dll, and will not function unless apisetschema is updated to reference the api-set and the redirections it makes. Wine has a solution for it, but it involves its own apisetschema iirc and it may not be suitable for Windows.

Most of the functions exported from the DLL exist in earlier versions of Windows (think NT 4 or 5; only a few are actually exclusive to 7 or 8), so a traditional export-forward DLL is better suited to OSes from the pre-api-set era. If your application only uses functions that are present in your version of Windows, this DLL will work fine; if they're missing, the application will try calling a null pointer and crash, which a good debugger will pick up.

Link to the binary: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/834206126878752808/1004433792037027951/api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0.dll

Link to the source (which is just a def file and an entry point): https://github.com/win32ss/win32-api-reversals/tree/main/windows8/api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0

Since we're talking games, has anyone tried Elden Ring on Windows 7? Heard it's really good, but it's allegedly DirectX11 masquerading as DX12 and doesn't run natively on the good operating system. Someone made a Win7 compatibility patch, based off DXVK (and DXVK-Async, and vkd3d-proton, and d3d12ProxyEdrDx11_0)

Edited by Darth Agnon
add links

On 8/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, win32 said:

The api-set DLLs that are supplied as part of the OS as opposed to being distributed with the VC++ runtime are tied to apisetschema.dll, and will not function unless apisetschema is updated to reference the api-set and the redirections it makes. Wine has a solution for it, but it involves its own apisetschema iirc and it may not be suitable for Windows.

Most of the functions exported from the DLL exist in earlier versions of Windows (think NT 4 or 5; only a few are actually exclusive to 7 or 8), so a traditional export-forward DLL is better suited to OSes from the pre-api-set era. If your application only uses functions that are present in your version of Windows, this DLL will work fine; if they're missing, the application will try calling a null pointer and crash, which a good debugger will pick up.

Link to the binary: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/834206126878752808/1004433792037027951/api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0.dll

Link to the source (which is just a def file and an entry point): https://github.com/win32ss/win32-api-reversals/tree/main/windows8/api-ms-win-core-com-l1-1-0

As I had suspected, there is a rabbit hole involved here. I had made a copy of the entire DLL set from Windows 8 and 8.1 just in case it wanted more. And it did, and I had to put 4 more DLLs from Windows 8 into the working DIR. It still has not opened, as it needs another DLL that I didn't have and will have to see what happens after I find that one.

EDIT: the file now missing is api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-2.dll, which leads me to an interesting post on stackexchange here (just don't read the comments) :(

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69943334/newer-windows-sdks-cause-api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-2-dll-missing-on-windows-7-8

Edited by Tripredacus

On 8/9/2022 at 12:43 AM, jumper said:

Use KnownDLLs to redirect that -core file to Kernel32.dll

I was excited that this would be some magic bullet but alas it only resulted in generating a 0xC000021a bugcheck on reboot. I'd rather not have to bother with that any longer and would prefer to source the file it wants instead. It was not present on my Windows 8.1 test system, nor my Windows 10 workstation. Searching online doesn't easily reveal where the file comes from.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:17 PM, Darth Agnon said:

Since we're talking games, has anyone tried Elden Ring on Windows 7? Heard it's really good, but it's allegedly DirectX11 masquerading as DX12 and doesn't run natively on the good operating system. Someone made a Win7 compatibility patch, based off DXVK (and DXVK-Async, and vkd3d-proton, and d3d12ProxyEdrDx11_0)

I haven't tried Elden Ring, but I have tried another patch made by the same person for MegaMix+ on 7. I (and many, many others) haven't gotten it to run on 7 unfortunately, supposedly since the game prefers DX11.1 over DX11.0. It doesn't seem to play nice with compatibility layers either. He has screenshots of it running on 7, so I'll assume that there might be something else at play. The point is, the patches he makes seem to be hit or miss depending on the game, they seem to just work or not work. Granted, I'm not too well versed in this kind of thing, so take that with a grain of salt.  :unsure:

On 8/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, jumper said:

So Win7 and up don't want us tampering with KnownDLLs anymore....

Maybe try copying from version 2-1, but internal manifest or other might also need patching to fake 2-2.

I had tried doing this, but the game then complains about missing entry point for GetVolumeInformationA, which if this is correct: "Introduced into api-ms-win-core-file-l1-2-2.dll in 10.0.16299."
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/win32-and-com/win32-apis

It is the only location. So while my OS may have a GetVolumeInformationA entry in kernel32.dll, the game is not calling that because it is trying to do it with that specific API. And the APIschema is mapped into memory and the file-l1-2-2 is not present at all. This file is one of the few that doesn't actually seem to exist, as it is (was?) mapped to kernerlbase.dll in Windows 10 from its own schema.

I do not know if there are any integrity checks that would be done, perhaps having a dummy .dll file present that just redirects the call to kernel32.dll would work but I haven't a clue on where to start.

I suppose I could take the kernel32.dll from system32 and put it into the workdir and rename it to core-file-l1-2-2 and see what happens.

On 7/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, Kpsa4 said:

I've been able to run Calibre 6.1 on Windows 7 x64 using this method:

1. Download Calibre msi file from homepage and patch the installator using Orca to be able to install it on Win7

2. Copy and replace these QT6 Win7 compatible files from here: https://forum.qt.io/topic/133002/qt-creator-6-0-1-and-qt-6-2-2-running-on-windows-7

https://web.tresorit.com/l/iWnTl#yGMg45iqZObF8miEZt7FaA

3. Use VxKex to run Calibre

Several auxilliary applications provided with Calibre are indicated to not work even with the patched Qt files nor Vista extended kernel (Vista extended kernel works fairly well for Qt 6.x at this time, but it needs the special Qt6Core library for Calibre).

I ran both Calibre and the ebook viewer. There was one module that the ebook viewer tried to load that Calibre did not: mfplat.dll, which is missing a few functions introduced in Windows 8. Those are linked to DXGI (DirectX Graphics Infrastructure). Windows 7 with its platform update is not up to the same level in DXGI as Windows 8 (DXGIFactory2 interface methods are all stubs on Windows 7), but it is possible that further stubs may be sufficient for the auxilliary applications to function.

Edited by win32