Badly uninstalled driver prevents Vista from booting

asdf2345

On 7/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, burd said:

It installs ,device manager doesnt show an exclamation mark but still shows error 39 probably because im running vista on my HDD so ill assume it works but cant be completely certain just yet , will probably have a go at it again once again when i move vista to my ssd after advancement of kernel extensions.

I'd try it, but I have Vista looking for a .sys file that doesn't exist from a driver I uninstalled, and won't boot because of it. If you know how I'd prevent Vista from looking for the ,sys file, I'd really like to know.

6 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I'd try it, but I have Vista looking for a .sys file that doesn't exist from a driver I uninstalled, and won't boot because of it. If you know how I'd prevent Vista from looking for the ,sys file, I'd really like to know.

does safemode allow it to boot? never had this issue in my 12 years of using vista so i dont really know what to say :unsure:

Boot the system using a WinPE, live cd or view the disk in another OS. Verify if the file it complains about is actually missing. If the file is actually missing, replace it and then try to boot the disk again.

There are situations where a program (or OS) may complain about a file being missing when it is not actually missing. This can happen if the program or OS only knows the location of the required file by way of another file, such as an .ini, .xml, registry entry or environment variable. If that intermediary is missing, changed or corrupted such as to be pointing to the wrong place, then an error like this is possible.

There are also situations where an intermediary points to a file, and the file isn't present, but the intermediary isn't active and the file is not supposed to be present. An example of this I've seen is bitlocker when scanning files for encryption will read the reagent.xml file and attempt to follow the paths inside to any files that are present. This fails on systems with WinRE disabled, since the files in the XML are not present and the reagent.xml is not used by anything. So this type of example shows a false positive to a file missing error.

Hopefully it will just be a situation where the file it is complaining about is actually missing.

• 1 year later...
On 7/24/2020 at 2:14 PM, Tripredacus said:

There are situations where a program (or OS) may complain about a file being missing when it is not actually missing. This can happen if the program or OS only knows the location of the required file by way of another file, such as an .ini, .xml, registry entry or environment variable. If that intermediary is missing, changed or corrupted such as to be pointing to the wrong place, then an error like this is possible.

Hello , I have a damaged OS with this issue , just like you described ! I uninstalled a terrible update that gave me troubles , rebooted ... and now windows says "hal.dll is missing" , which is not true , because I have lots of them in the right locations (I compared with another Vista) , the only difference is the name of the folders where this file located (in winsxs folder, others are OK). It's not my main OS , it's for testing only , is this OS lost ? I'm just curios , thank you ! I tried to repair with the original disk , but it won't start the repair , it only suggests me to install Vista again in "emergency enabled" ?! mode or smth like that , I don't remember the exact name . The most important , it doesn't let me choose the repair option.

It won't let me pass this warning . Safe mode also doesn't allow me to boot the OS . It constantly says , no HAL.dll found . It won't let me choose repair or restore the system from the original media. I'm guessing HAL.dll is a very important file . It was included inside this bloody update. But there's just no way to install it again . And even if it would be possible , it makes no sense , like I said , the update gave me troubles. Thank you for the advice.

Ok it is the type of message as I suspect, the black boot error screen. Hal.dll is important, yes. It comes with the OS but an update may have put a new version of it in, or had added a linking file of some sort, registry redirector and/or pipe to point to the file and that is what was removed. I doubt hal.dll was actually removed. You can verify if the file is actually missing or not. It should be in c:\windows\system32. As for putting the update back in place in offline, it may be possible using DISM but I seem to recall that this ability is something that came about in Windows 7 and I never attempted it with Vista. Even if it is possible with Vista, you'd need the Vista WAIK and I would not trust modern versions of ADK to work.

Tripredacus, the file is there , in the location you named , and not only there , it's scattered across all of the system , including winsxs and filerepository folder (several of them) . I'm guessing from different updates I installed before this bloody one. I don't care about this testing system at all , there's nothing important there , but I'm just curious what could cause this , since I didn't use any third party tools , I just rebooted , like Windows told me. I myself use Vista without updates on my main PC, in this case , I just wanted to try out several updates advertised by some members.

Just out of curiosity . Speed tests , etc.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:11 AM, D.Draker said:

I uninstalled a terrible update that gave me troubles , rebooted ... and now windows says "hal.dll is missing"

I am curious which update that was? If it was a Server 2008 update released in April 2019 or later, then uninstalling it might have entailed downgrading from build 6.0.6003 back to 6002. (I never tried to downgrade by removing updates: only by restoring from an image.) I also wonder if you installed the servicing stack update as recommended by Microsoft?

@Vistapocalypse  Yes, it was an update that updated the kernel to 6003 , you're right ! It was yet another version of that bloody "supposed-to-fix" hasswell fake news nonsense. There are several of them. I was experimenting , even though it was a non-haswell machine. If you want to know the name , here goes . Stack update , there was no need for it . It installed just fine without it and didn't ask for it .

May 14, 2019—KB4499149 (Monthly Rollup)