We need to take Climate Change seriously

Dibya

20 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

I am glad that (at least for now) if you buy one of these cars, the dealer can disable that option for you.

Mine has a button to turn it off, though it defaults back to on each time the ignition is turned on. I've seen on a video on YouTube that eg. older Audis can be recoded to remember the state. Though for newer cars of the last 2 years or so that are manufactured under one of the VAG brands, the surest thing seems to be a small memory module plugged into the wiring below the button.

I don't know, not sure if official personnel around these parts would be willing to do any mods in that direction. Obviously, memorizing the setting would be the best, though default off and keeping the ability to turn it on would also be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There is no incentive in recycling. In the US, recycling isn't done for the good of the environment, it is done for money. A company holds the rights in a municipality to manage the recycling services. In some cities this company doesn't even do the work, they pick up the recycle bins and truck that stuff off to the landfill.

the city I live in just recently started there own recycling program called the keep the city beautifull campaign and you can buy city label trash cans and recycling tubs to use for taking out recycling and trash it's a really nice program 

Yeah, I see both of your points, I wouldn't promote never throwing away things as that would/could turn to Hoarding disorder, but just conscious of what I use that wind up in a landfill. Its not that easy being green. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

In the US, recycling isn't done for the good of the environment, it is done for money.

Agreed!

I consider myself quite "frugal" and a bit of a penny-pincher.  Some call it "minimalism".  I don't buy in excess and I'd rather scrape the mold off of a piece of bread instead of throwing it away.

I don't "recycle".  I throw garbage away at the curb.  Everything thrown into one bin.  I don't "sort", if it's trash, I throw it away, all in one bin.

But that doesn't make me an environment-killer!

How so?  Well, it's like this, when the Prius-owner neighbor looks down his nose for me driving a Jeep, I ask him how long a tank of gas lasts him, he says roughly one week, I tell him a tank of gas in my Jeep will last me TWO MONTHS.

And I can stretch it into THREE MONTHS.  On ONE tank of gas!  The PRIUS-owner is "consuming" more dynosaur-oil than I am!

My trash is the same way.  It takes me FOUR WEEKS to fill up one kitchen-size 13-gallon trash bag.

Yet the Prius-owner is carting out two fifty-gallon city-provided bins each and every week, stuffed so full that the lid doesn't even close.

And another neighbor looks down her nose at me for throwing aluminum cans into the city bin instead of hauling them to "recycling".

She lives paycheck to paycheck and loves the money for recycling.

I've watched dear ol' dad recycle his aluminun cans for decades.  Five to eight trash bags full at a time.  He wouldn't crush them and he'd get $10 to $20 or so for five to eight gigantic trash bags.

And mom would always remind him, "We spent more than you got just to drive them here and to buy ant killer because of all the ants they attract."

I pick up the garbage every day, everything (papers, bags, etc.) that the uneducated people in my town throw away, and of course nobody pays me for it...

"Climate Change" is hoax, right?

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

...I consider myself quite "frugal" and a bit of a penny-pincher.  Some call it "minimalism".

Exactly the same regarding myself. Even if I won a lottery I would be just the same. I've learned to pinch 10 bucks to last for a week. I quite enjoy a minimalist lifestyle.  

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I've watched dear ol' dad recycle his aluminun cans for decades.  Five to eight trash bags full at a time.  He wouldn't crush them and he'd get $10 to $20 or so for five to eight gigantic trash bags.

And mom would always remind him, "We spent more than you got just to drive them here and to buy ant killer because of all the ants they attract."

It sounds like your Dad did/does this because he feels its the right thing to do and for the principle. Sorry, I don't recall whether your Dad is still living. My Dad did a lot of the same others would consider odd. Either way, good you have fond memories and he left you with a good impression. I do recall you said somewhere your mother had passed.

Edited by XPerceniol

Dad passed six months after mom.

I wouldn't say he did it because it was "the right thing to do", but more out of sheer retirement years BOREDOM and nothing else to "do".

He certainly didn't view it as "saving the planet".  He was actually a bit of a pack-rat and it took several weeks to clear out the house.

Sometimes people do things to "offset" other areas of their life.

Some of the most "holier than thou" folks you will ever meet are because they "offset" a very bad past or are divorced - sort of from one extreme to the other without seeing that there is a "middle ground".

On 3/29/2023 at 9:46 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I tell him a tank of gas in my Jeep will last me TWO MONTHS.

And I can stretch it into THREE MONTHS.  On ONE tank of gas!

Which must be the consequence of not driving as much. I refill on average at 23-day intervals. The best fuel economy I've managed is 4.5 l/100km (52.27 mpg).

So I also beat your neighbor with my less fuel-efficient car. :P Though it can't be fair comparison since we don't have all the data laid out.