Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel


win32
 Share

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Jakob99 said:

Interesting. What did you have to do to get setup_wm.exe to at least show that.

I have the extended kernel with added functions. That error is normal on any WMP setup even on wmp11's.

Edited by burd
Link to comment
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, burd said:

I have the extended kernel with added functions. That error is normal on any WMP setup even on wmp11's.

So nothing had to be edited? Interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

he also has a new website for it here -------> http://win32.eclipse.cx/ :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 here are the patch notes he said about it (extended kernel for vista ver 5.6 patch notes:A new Vista extended kernel has been released. It runs win7 calculator and paint as well as Firefox 89+. (with serious gdi related font rendering issues).

Edited by legacyfan
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

he also has a new website for it here -------> http://win32.eclipse.cx/ :                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 here are the patch notes he said about it (extended kernel for vista ver 5.6 patch notes:A new Vista extended kernel has been released. It runs win7 calculator and paint as well as Firefox 89+. (with serious gdi related font rendering issues).

Doesnt work for me though, also win32 mentions an extended kernel thread, could you please link me to the whereabouts. Edit : i think i found it.

image.png.003013987ea493e77ecff087c72b3fac.pngimage.png.53a5ff31565941c4235fc07e142de210.png

Edited by burd
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually did manage to get both running eventually with the help of R3n from eclipse and thanks to win32 to make this possible, mspaint gave the same error as wmp12 which makes me believe its pretty close to be workable

 

 

pacal.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, burd said:

I actually did manage to get both running eventually with the help of R3n from eclipse and thanks to win32 to make this possible, mspaint gave the same error as wmp12 which makes me believe its pretty close to be workable

maybe you can post what you did to make it work here ?

i'm sure a lot of people hate going thru "100s" of websites to find an answer to their question 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, burd said:

I actually did manage to get both running eventually with the help of R3n from eclipse and thanks to win32 to make this possible, mspaint gave the same error as wmp12 which makes me believe its pretty close to be workable

 

 

pacal.jpg

i tried, but nothing happens

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@winvispixp @THK2003 you need the latest extended kernel first (May 2021), then copy mspaint and calc.exe from system32 and their mui files to a folder of your choice or you can replace them in system32 of vista. The mui files are in system32/en-US. In my case i just replaced the old paint and calc with win7's.

 

image.png.63f332e7b68103f7d53f4d619bca517e.png

it should be like this and inside en-US is the mui file called mspaint.exe.mui

Edited by burd
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, burd said:

I actually did manage to get both running eventually with the help of R3n from eclipse and thanks to win32 to make this possible, mspaint gave the same error as wmp12 which makes me believe its pretty close to be workable

 

 

pacal.jpg

Stunning! I hated Windows Vista's calculator, it was basically XP's with Aero. However, the Windows 7 Calculator fits Windows Vista way better.

Win32, you should really work at Microsoft. You do their job better

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, yoltboy01 said:

Stunning! I hated Windows Vista's calculator, it was basically XP's with Aero. However, the Windows 7 Calculator fits Windows Vista way better.

Win32, you should really work at Microsoft. You do their job better

All of Windows Vista's stock applications are just XP's with Aero interface. 7 fixed this, but most of them still felt a little out of place with the Windows 8-esk ribbon, which was first seen in Office 2007.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

i reinstalled vista. now what updates do i need to install the extended kernel... i need links or a link to the list of updates i need. i installed the sha2 code signing updates already.

nvm maybe i can figure it out.(hope i dont mess up the install again lol)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...