[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

Oops! I failed to realize that “it” was Steam, due partly to another recent post. :blushing:

16 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

EDIT. I finally Got Windows Update working. ofc i find the way when i say i tried everything. i thought i did.

I won’t ask how (but others may wonder).

6 hours ago, bromogatos309 said:

Yes because it says ''Steam is no longer supported on your Operating system Version'' over and over again.....

you need a hex editor to remove the win7 requirement and need the cfg file to prevent it from updating.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:32 AM, win32 said:

You can use an hex editor like HxD. Search for a sequence of bytes that goes

6A 00 6A 01 6A 06

And change the 6A 01 to 6A 00.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:19 AM, asdf2345 said:

Change those bytes for steam.exe, steam.dll, and steamservice.dll

On 4/29/2021 at 11:24 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

I won’t ask how (but others may wonder).

honestly i looked it up. followed a video. forgot what it was. i would need to boot into vista and wait for 1000+updates to configure

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016

On 4/29/2021 at 10:49 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

How do you prevent Steam from updating?

That's weird. The premodded october build of Steam never checked for updates and I never had to configure anything. The thread I linked to did mention what you need to add to the Steam.cfg file though. It goes to the Steam folder.

When I try to install the Extended Kernel December 2020 release, it installs smoothly then after logging into Windows I recieve a SHELL32.dll error, and then explorer crashes and wont reopen, however my system meets all the criteria for it to work.: It is 64-bit, updates until EOL + most of the optional non-security hotfixes from the Vista update repository and Server 2008 updates are installed, so uhh what is wrong??

58 minutes ago, PugLover13 said:

When I try to install the Extended Kernel December 2020 release, it installs smoothly then after logging into Windows I recieve a SHELL32.dll error, and then explorer crashes and wont reopen, however my system meets all the criteria for it to work.: It is 64-bit, updates until EOL + most of the optional non-security hotfixes from the Vista update repository and Server 2008 updates are installed, so uhh what is wrong??

why not use the feb 2021 release? also i believe the feb 2021 fixes this issue along with providing an alternative explorer.exe aswell incase it still didnt.

Edited by burd