My Browser Builds (Part 2)

13 hours ago, qjcf said:

as basilisk52****.zip builds are based on FF52 code,

Bk52 (the browser, as test application) was initially built by upstream on top of a fork of the Mozilla ESR 52.6.0 platform code; the derived platform is named UXP.

Since then, both the original official Basilisk 52.9.x upstream project as well as roytam1's Serpent 52.9.0 fork have significantly diverged from that starting point, but have also diverged significantly between each other, too... IMHO, stating that Serpent 52 is "based on FF52 code" is no longer descriptive of the current situation...

13 hours ago, qjcf said:

are basilisk55****.zip builds based on Firefox 55 code?

Bk55 (the browser, as test application) was initially built by upstream (Moonchild Productions) on top of a forked Mozilla Nightly 53.0a1 snapshot platform code, with very few 54.x and 55.x code elements merged in; the platform that was produced was named Moebius; the app (browser) built on top of it was named Basilisk and was given an app version of 55.x.x, for (if you ask me) sensationalistic reasons :angry: ; much of the initial Moebius code, hence, can be described as a pre-53 Firefox snapshot... 

Serpent 55 by roytam1 was forked off Bk55/Moebius; that upstream project was abandoned in favour of UXP (and Bk52/UXP); since then, St55 is being infrequently maintained as a code melting pot, merging bits of various other upstream projects (e.g. UXP, tenfourfox, Mozilla and even code from IceWeasel 53.x).

TL;DR: Current Serpent 55.0.0 has extremely limited affiliation, codewise, with stable Firefox 55.0 :rolleyes:

Edited by VistaLover

12 hours ago, VistaLover said:

TL;DR: Current Serpent 55.0.0 has extremely limited affiliation, codewise, with stable Firefox 55.0

Thank you for detailed answer.

I assume in terms of features and HTML, JS, CSS etc technologies supported:

Serpent 52 has nothing from FF53 or later?

Serpent 55 has nothing from FF56 or later?

5 hours ago, qjcf said:

Thank you for detailed answer.

I assume in terms of features and HTML, JS, CSS etc technologies supported:

Serpent 52 has nothing from FF53 or later?

Serpent 55 has nothing from FF56 or later?

Serpent 52 and 55 have disabled-by-default AV1 video support (from Firefox 63?)

Serpent 52 and 55 have TLS 1.3 Support enabled (from Firefox 63)

Serpent 52 has Several ECMAScript 2018+ features from Firefox 58+ (most importantly globalThis from Firefox 65 due to the new Reddit site)

The web compatibility improvements compared to Firefox 52 will only get more massive as upstream (Moonchild Productions) finalize/release milestone 29.0.0 of their Pale Moon browser, which will feature ES Modules, ShadowDOM v1, and Custom Elements v1 (also from Firefox 63).

Edited by ClassicNick

On 7/4/2020 at 10:46 AM, grey_rat said:

Run Fullscreen 0.1.0 for FF45, 47 and PM27.9.7 in OpenGL

https://ca-archive.us.to/storage/631/631630/run_fullscreen-0.1.0-fx.xpi

KM76.2.1 - very good, extension not needed

I noticed OpenGL works without glitches in fullscreen in certain browsers.

I never tried K-Meleon until recently and...it's not multi-monitor aware. Its window always opens on the primary screen regardless of where I left its window when I closed it the last time and it always snaps to the primary screen whenever going fullscreen.

But yeah, no glitches in OpenGL neither in normal or fullscreen mode.

Edited by UCyborg

8 hours ago, ClassicNick said:

Serpent 52 and 55 have disabled-by-default AV1 video support (from Firefox 63?)

Serpent 52 and 55 have TLS 1.3 Support enabled (from Firefox 63)

Serpent 52 has Several ECMAScript 2018+ features from Firefox 58+ (most importantly globalThis from Firefox 65 due to the new Reddit site)

So, i should stick to Serpent 52 and don't bother with 55, right?

Does Serpent 55 have any advantage over 52 in terms of general compatibility with popular websites?

3 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

So, i should stick to Serpent 52 and don't bother with 55, right?

Does Serpent 55 have any advantage over 52 in terms of general compatibility with popular websites?

I just got on Reddit, and could not load the comments (Which means globalThis might not exist in Serpent 55). If it were me personally, I would stick to Serpent 52, but you'll have to try both extensively to see which one works best for you.

5 hours ago, ClassicNick said:

I just got on Reddit, and could not load the comments (Which means globalThis might not exist in Serpent 55). If it were me personally, I would stick to Serpent 52, but you'll have to try both extensively to see which one works best for you.

not really. https://github.com/roytam1/basilisk55/commit/09dd32d34990a47f89af35d69cc53535d8c30db8

2 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

@roytam1

Hi,

There are problems with subscribing to custom lists taken from Filter List for uBlock Origin:

Could you check with EasyPrivacy optimized?

TH.

Same here.

Click on "View" instead and import that address.

(or right-click and copy link target)

screenshot-import.png.8a786d1bbc16d98677500716d91637ad.png

Edited by nicolaasjan

8 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

There are problems with subscribing to custom lists taken from Filter List for uBlock Origin

First try worked here, but after that it broke down.

2 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

latest recent version of UBO Legacy

I think they should take "legacy" out of the name now...

On 7/5/2020 at 12:21 PM, RainyShadow said:

@roytam1

Could you clarify please whether Serpent 52 or 55 has an advantage in terms of general compatibility with websites?

6 minutes ago, qjcf said:

@roytam1

Could you clarify please whether Serpent 52 or 55 has an advantage in terms of general compatibility with websites?

No! He has too many nuts to crack on his plate, already! No offense meant, really, but it's not courteous to pester people! Your latest question can be best answered by your testing them yourself. @roytam1's browsers are his (quite big already) gift to the community... you're welcome to use them for free, but it's not polite to bother him to death with vague questions. You don't wanna test? OK. You may read this thread and the previous one in full and you'll know all there is to know about every one of roytam's browsers.