Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


Tommy

Running Windows 2000 on modern motherboards - USB issues

Recommended Posts

On 5/22/2020 at 7:59 PM, Cixert said:

I have been with the issue on Acer x3900 (I3-530 first generation with H57 chipset) for a few days, every time I try to change to another driver version then Windows 2000 SP4 UR1v2 freezes with serious consequences. Loss of registry files or other files on the system.
Exactly freezes when uninstalling Intel USB and also when installing Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller.

In that case I would skip "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller" and begin working through the other USB drivers instead, because the route may be different for your H57 chipset.  I know of no fixed formula for solving this, so can only suggest, in general:

Try starting with different USB drivers from the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard list.  As you work through these attempts, along the way try to let Windows Update take over, because if Windows Update can once get a proper foothold, it should be able to complete the USB installation steps automatically.

Unfortunately it is sort of a layered process, and the "Select a Device Driver" window has quite a few Manufacturers / Models there to try, and who knows what order will work for your H57.  Just don't let it go back to its original choice (Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Host Controller) because that is a dead end.

Like brute force decryption, hammer on it and hammer on it and maybe it finally gives in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 4:44 AM, bluebolt said:

In that case I would skip "Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller" and begin working through the other USB drivers instead, because the route may be different for your H57 chipset.  I know of no fixed formula for solving this, so can only suggest, in general:

Try starting with different USB drivers from the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard list.  As you work through these attempts, along the way try to let Windows Update take over, because if Windows Update can once get a proper foothold, it should be able to complete the USB installation steps automatically.

Unfortunately it is sort of a layered process, and the "Select a Device Driver" window has quite a few Manufacturers / Models there to try, and who knows what order will work for your H57.  Just don't let it go back to its original choice (Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Host Controller) because that is a dead end.

Like brute force decryption, hammer on it and hammer on it and maybe it finally gives in.

I have found this post on the @blackwingcat blog also with a problem with Intel 5 series / 3400 chipset family but in this case PM55 chipset.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1157500.html
He says the problem occurs because USB 2.0 on Windows 2000 is implemented over USB 1.1 ports. If there is no 1.1 port, USB 2.0 does not work on Windows 2000.
Black Wing Cat solves this by changing the enhanced controller to universal.
Intel 5 Series / 3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34
by
Intel 5 Series / 3400 Series Chipset Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3B36
I have tried it but it doesn't work for me.
Windows Update hasn't worked for me either, it says a correct driver is already installed.
Nor has it worked for me with other generic drivers I've tried.
In addition, Black Wing Cat relates in another post that he has a private update that solves this problem. But sadly I have not been able to find this update.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/158877.html
Translated from the Japanese:
"Yellow at the USB mass storage driver! I get this, but this works fine when I install the private Windows 2000 USB related Update"

Edited by Cixert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It does seem that the USB controller issue is down to this:

on hardware with USB 2.0 (EHCI) controllers and no USB 1.1 (UHCI) controllers, Windows 2000 ignores the [USB.CopyFiles.NT] section of USB.INF.

In the UniversalHCD and OpenHCD sections of the file, there is a CopyFile instruction for USB.CopyFiles.NT, whereas there isn't one for the EHCI section. USB.CopyFiles.NT includes usbd.sys and usbhub.sys; the latter is redundant due to usbhub20.sys, but usbhub20.sys relies on usbd.sys as shown by Dependency Walker. usbehci.sys relies on usbd.sys indirectly, through usbport.sys.

So I believe the solution is to open USB.INF, look for the section [EHCI.CopyFiles.NT] and add usbd.sys immediately below it.

[EHCI.CopyFiles.NT]
usbd.sys
usbehci.sys
usbport.sys

I have no way of testing this as my hardware is either too old or too new to experience this issue. Please tell me if it works.

I think that the H57 problem would be fixed by this change as it seems to have only EHCI controllers; thus UHCI drivers would be useless as there are no such controllers in the system.

Edited by win32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, win32 said:

It does seem that the USB controller issue is down to this:

on hardware with USB 2.0 (EHCI) controllers and no USB 1.1 (UHCI) controllers, Windows 2000 ignores the [USB.CopyFiles.NT] section of USB.INF.

In the UniversalHCD and OpenHCD sections of the file, there is a CopyFile instruction for USB.CopyFiles.NT, whereas there isn't one for the EHCI section. USB.CopyFiles.NT includes usbd.sys and usbhub.sys; the latter is redundant due to usbhub20.sys, but usbhub20.sys relies on usbd.sys as shown by Dependency Walker. usbehci.sys relies on usbd.sys indirectly, through usbport.sys.

So I believe the solution is to open USB.INF, look for the section [EHCI.CopyFiles.NT] and add usbd.sys immediately below it.


[EHCI.CopyFiles.NT]
usbd.sys
usbehci.sys
usbport.sys

I have no way of testing this as my hardware is either too old or too new to experience this issue. Please tell me if it works.

I think that the H57 problem would be fixed by this change as it seems to have only EHCI controllers; thus UHCI drivers would be useless as there are no such controllers in the system.

After modifying usb.inf
Do I have to do something else?
I have modified
C: \ WINNT \ inf
C: \ WINNT \ ServicePackFiles \ i386
I have rebooted and nothing has happened.
Currently I have an unidentified driver
"Simple PCI Communications controller"
Some programs say it is a MODEM but I do not have a MODEM and I do not have a card connected to any port on the motherboard.
I comment it in case it could be related to USB ports

647119374_driverscasifinal.jpg.4c4cd4f908ac56ce88ac958056beefc2.jpg

Edited by Cixert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Cixert said:

After modifying usb.inf
Do I have to do something else?
I have modified
C: \ WINNT \ inf
C: \ WINNT \ ServicePackFiles \ i386

My solution was intended moreso for those installing. Since you're not, you can simply copy usbd.sys to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers and hopefully the USB drivers will be able to start.

Edited by win32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cixert said:

Currently I have an unidentified driver
"Simple PCI Communications controller"
Some programs say it is a MODEM but I do not have a MODEM and I do not have a card connected to any port on the motherboard.
I comment it in case it could be related to USB ports

https://msfn.org/board/topic/173710-intel-mei-driver-pci-simple-communications-controller/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2020 at 4:45 PM, win32 said:

My solution was intended moreso for those installing. Since you're not, you can simply copy usbd.sys to C:\WINNT\system32\drivers and hopefully the USB drivers will be able to start.

Usbd.sys to C: \ WINNT \ system32 \ drivers was already copied
Unfortunately it still doesn't work.
My w2000 system is built on a base installation on IBM Netvista A20, a year 2000 computer. It contains the drivers for this computer (with generic chipset driver & other generic), basic programs and custom configuration on Service Pack 3.
From this installation I have created an image that in later years I have pasted on all the computers I use, updating needs (now SP4 UR1v2)
So far I have no problems due to this circumstance.
Can previously installed USB 1.1 drivers interfere?

Edited by Cixert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2020 at 10:01 PM, win32 said:

Since we used this thread to talk about newer NVIDIA drivers, I'll provide a report on 320.92, direct from NVIDIA:

While it seems alright for OpenGL, allowing the use of versions up to 4.3 on my Quadro FX 3800, it has problems with some DirectX games.

I tried to play Sid Meier's Railroads, but textures kept getting all glitchy and disappearing after a few minutes; alt-tabbing brought me into 640x480x4 mode, then the screen went blank. So I cannot recommend it.

I can't wait to compare with BWC's modded driver once they're back online.

BWC's 310.70 allows the stable use of Sid Meier's Railroads, but I'm having trouble with GTA: SA version 1.0 and City Life 2008 Edition. Instead of loading a game or even its cutscenes, I get an endless loop of D3D9.DLL calling EnumDisplayMonitors and GetMonitorInfoA in the case of the former. In the case of the latter, it does that for a bit but eventually fails with an "unable to create Direct3D device error".

Indeed, 310.70 is listed as a beta driver, whereas the next one, 331.65 isn't. So I'm off to try that.

And 331.65 fixes those games!

Edited by win32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...