Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Destro

How you really browse the web on 98/ME in 2019

Posted (edited)

Latest Babelmap (and Babelpad) works fine with KernelEX and is the best (only?) tool to manage your font folder Unicode coverage.

Opera 12 won't support newest Unicode planes (not sure which is the last supported version and maybe this is down to which uniscribe version it uses) but if you've got the fonts supporting those installed then you can always copy the text with missing characters and paste it in Babelpad to see what it's about.

Edited by loblo

BTW, if you want to visit Sourceforge with Opera 12 without using an online proxy you can install Burp Suite Community Edition proxy which requires at least JRE 7 with Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength installed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have all TTFs installed that came with win7. My largest TTF is ArialUni.ttf at 22.7 MB came from XP. All fonts are referenced/installed into registry that are in the font folder. FONs are shown as active in MSinfo but TTFs are not shown as active. Collection fonts TTCs have no assignment in registry and not written into the shell32.dll as far as I know and therefore not compatible. Charmap.exe tick advanced view, character set unicode, and if viewing Microsoft YaHei for example the last character is U+FFEE: Halfwidth White Circle

Old machines were good at driving 5 1/4 floppy drives.  With Pentium 111 the KB access times had to be set to 6 stokes per second or less if BIOS had adjustment. This slowed down access to floppy drive so that 5 1/4  had a chance. I installed a 5 1/4 at the end of a long floppy cable and a 3 1/2 in the middle named A and B drives. The drive on the middle connection run at twice the access times as the 5 1/4 one at the end so the 3 1/2 had to be a good one, 2002+ models.

I tried installing Burp using the exe and it baulked at installing JRE1.8, error in msvcr100, acknowledging this the installation then continues and finishes. It runs with JRE1.6_31 JVM, the install directory of Burp JRE can be deleted. I could not get JRE1.7 set as a system runtime but I have had it installed as a user runtime. After installing Burp 1.7.06 my Opera profile was set to original startup settings. vs 1.7.32 can be installed directly from the exe, later vs needs to be copied across from other OS. Latest vs still works with Java 1.6. jce_policy-6.zip will be for JDK1.6 but I have not worked it all out yet. Works with KEX4.5.2 but not latest KEX18.

Latest BabelPad did not open any files (from file open menu) in my font folder, no comparison to WinMerge. BabelMap win9x version is a font program WinMerge is a file comparison program and I find it very useful. I could not get BabelMap to show characters of single fonts where as Character Map does?

I can use/post/edit on Facebook with my ME system with Opera 12.02.

Edited by Goodmaneuver