Avast Antivirus to discontinue new versions, but still supporting Windows XP

sdfox7

31 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

What no-one seems to have been able to do so far is to determine what the XP machines with the problems have in common!

POSReady 2009 updates, perhaps? Anti-virus software uses all the dirty tricks in the book to get fuller access than it's supposed to..., I'd not at all be surprised if they rely on some flaw that was closed by POSReady 2009 updates (they're legion) after XP SP3 official EoS. Just a guess, of course!  :)

That had of course occurred to me!
I think it's very unlikely that those XP users reporting problems on the Avast forums are all running with the POSReady hack, at least no-one seems to have ever mentioned it there, but it might be worth asking!
I did try installing Avast without the POSReady hack registry entries, just in case the installer didn't think it was a Windows XP system or something, but that made no difference.
You are quite right that one or more of the POSReady updates might be causing the problem though.
I'm not about to uninstall them all to try to find out!
:lol:

Edited by Dave-H
Additions

6 hours ago, FranceBB said:

I still think that Avast 16 was one of the best UI and programme version.

Didn't they they jump from 12.3 straight to version 17? I'm pretty sure they did, version 12.3 was pretty good, while version 17 and later were gradually getting worse, which led me to removing Avast after being a loyal user since the infamous version 4.8 (at least infamous in Poland lol).

Yes, this confused me for a while, especially when I was trying to find old Avast versions to test with!
They did indeed go straight from version 12 to version 17, as they introduced a new system where the version number is the year of release.
Version 12 was only in 2016, so it's not as old as it sounds relative to 17 and 18 (released in 2017 and 2018 of course).
I'm using 12.3 now (not 12.4 as I mistakenly said earlier) and that is the last version that works reasonably well on my XP system, without slowing everything down horribly and/or filling the Windows logs with error messages.
I think they introduced a new UI with version 17, and I strongly suspect this may be causing at least some of my present problems.
I actually like the 12.3 UI better anyway!
:)

Currently I am using version 18.6.2349 and everything seems to be fine, evidently programme update is set to manual, not that I had any problems with later versions since I've never tried them.

Please note : If your XP doesn't support SSE2, you may download version 10 from here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=164936.msg1322691#msg1322691

Courtesy of bob3160 from avast forum

@DaveH  Have you set terminal services to automatic ? Have you performed repair or clean install ? Instructions below:

How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXde -  Repair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq

I hope this might shed a bit of light to your woes.

Cheers

47 minutes ago, Tangy said:

Currently I am using version 18.6.2349 and everything seems to be fine, evidently programme update is set to manual, not that I had any problems with later versions since I've never tried them.

Please note : If your XP doesn't support SSE2, you may download version 10 from here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=164936.msg1322691#msg1322691

@DaveH  Have you set terminal services to automatic ? Have you performed repair or clean install ? Instructions below:

How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXde -  Repair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq

I hope this might shed a bit of light to your woes.

Cheers

Thanks @Tangy!
Yes, I've checked everything that's in the Avast troubleshooting documents about the UI not starting (which is because the main Avast AV service is not running), and everything is as it should be.
I've done umpteen uninstalls, system cleaning, and clean installs with the later versions, nothing makes any difference.
The only clue as to why the service is not running in versions later than 18.3 is in avastsvc.log, where it says on every boot "[error] [serviceapp ] [ 1268: 1272] failed to connect to service controller".
Googling that just produces a reference to someone on the Avast forum with exactly the same problem, but no resolution!
:no:

@Dave-H could you share the whole log file? Have you disabled some Windows Services? Please note that some of them are required by Avast to work properly (I remember a customer complaining that the automatic update screwed up his install, but it really was just because of a service not running). Please use the official Avast cleaner to remove every trace of the programme, reboot, download the latest offline version and make sure that you are online when you are doing the installation. After everything has been installed, reboot. After the first reboot, it might not load properly, but it's fine as it's trying to load all the modules. Then, reboot again. This time, if it doesn't work, I'll send you an executable to make a full system report (it's the one I used to run when I encountered problems and I had to report them).

As to the POSReady updates, no, they are not mentioned in the forum for obvious reasons, but during the tests on VMs, incompatibilities have been checked against an updated version of XP. The only stage in which there were issues was during the beta and some release candidate, but almost never in the stable version and definitely never in the latest one.

Last but not least, do you have at least the .NET Framework 2 installed? If not, install it.

Edited by FranceBB

Unfortunately I don't have the relevant log any more as I'm now using a version that doesn't have the problem.
However, I will be trying version 18.9 when it's released (or they put up a public beta version) at which time if it still doesn't work I will have the log with the error recorded again I'm sure!
I do have some Windows services disabled, as they have never been needed on my system, but all the ones that are recorded as being needed by Avast are enabled and running fine.
This includes Terminal Services and the Background Intelligent Transfer service. If there are any others needed, I would be very interested to know, although the guy I've been dealing with at Avast support has never mentioned checking any others.
I have already used the Avast Cleaner tool many times, and done manual file and registry cleaning too, but it has never made any difference.
I've always used the offline installer, you seem to have to do that anyway for XP installs, although it actually won't work without an internet connection as the installer still has to download stuff for the install to work. I have to let the installer get past that point and then pull the plug quickly to stop the program immediately updating to the latest version, which then doesn't work!
I did submit a report file to Avast in the early days of the troubleshooting, the one here, but they didn't say that it showed anything significant.
If you have another diagnostic tool I would be very keen to try it, but not until 18.9 is released if it still doesn't work, as I'm happy using 12.3 until then.
I do have all the XP compatible .NET frameworks installed.
Good to hear about the POSReady updates, sounds like they're unlikely to be relevant to the problem.
Thanks for the help! Cheers, Dave.

That's good to see, as it means that there is hope!
When 18.9 is released, I'll try updating to it, and if it then fails (as sadly I'm pretty convinced that it will on my machine) perhaps we can do some troubleshooting.
Avast support seem to be at a loss about the problem of the services refusing to run on some XP systems, as they say that they can't reproduce it.

• 3 weeks later...

@FranceBB

I just had my subscription to Avast Internet Security refunded as I couldn't get later versions to work on my machine, and was stuck with version 12.
When the licence was revoked it reverted to the Free Antivirus version, and then immediately updated to the latest version 18.8 which doesn't work!

Anyway, I do now have a log from the AV Service of 18.8, if it's of any use.
You asked about it a while ago.

[2018-12-23 19:29:29.203] [info   ] [settings   ] [  656:  660] paths.ini_store configuration is empty, settings ini store folder to asw::instup::GetDataDirectory.
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.546] [info   ] [svcmain    ] [  656:  660] Installing CrashGuard global exception handler...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.546] [info   ] [crashguard ] [  656:  660] CrashGuard global exception handler installed
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.546] [info   ] [crashguard ] [  656:  660] CrashGuard initialized successfully, external dumping enabled
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.546] [info   ] [crashguard ] [  656:  660] Crash handler installed successfully process-wide from module 4194304
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.546] [info   ] [svcmain    ] [  656:  660] Service starting up.
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Entering basInitLibrary...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Calling cmnbInit...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Calling CrashHandlerInstall...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [crashguard ] [  656:  660] Crash handler is already resident in this process. Enabling only manual dumping from this binary.
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [crashguard ] [  656:  660] CrashGuard initialized successfully, external dumping enabled
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Validating paths...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Initializing languages - getting ini...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Initializing languages - GetLocaleInfo...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Initializing languages - basCreateLanguagePath...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Initializing languages - basInitThreadLocale...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Initializing language paths...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.640] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Loading Base.dll...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.656] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Calling GetComputerName...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.656] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Calling InitTCPIP...
[2018-12-23 19:30:17.656] [info   ] [base_init  ] [  656:  660] Leaving basInitLibrary...
[2018-12-23 19:30:32.656] [error  ] [serviceapp ] [  656:  660] failed to connect to service controller
[2018-12-23 19:30:32.656] [info   ] [svcmain    ] [  656:  660] Service shut down completely.
[2018-12-23 19:30:32.656] [info   ] [settings   ] [  656: 5224] WatchThread gracefully terminated.

That's it, and it just repeats on every boot and if I try to start the service manually.
The key line is obviously "failed to connect to service controller".
What the "service controller" actually is I have no idea, and I couldn't find anything that really explains it anywhere.
I think I will revert now to version 12 of the Free Antivirus.
18.9 is now supposed to be coming in January, which is my last hope unless the problem can be diagnosed.
You said you had some test software I could try?
Well now's the time if you have it!
Cheers, Dave.

Ok, I'm gonna send you the link via email.

All the executables are digitally signed by Avast, so you can totally trust them (feel free to check ^^).

Step 1)

Use "avastclear.exe" to get rid of every file, folder, setting and registry change made by Avast.

Step 2)

Reboot.

Step 3)

Go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and make sure that "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Terminal Services" are set to "Automatic" and have started. If they are disabled, make sure to enable and start them.

Step 4)

Make sure you have the latest .NET Framework and C++ Redistributables installed. If you don't, install them and reboot.

Step 5)

Apply the registry patch and reboot.

Step 6)

Install Avast 18.8.2356 free using the installer provided making sure that you are running it as Administrator.

Step 7)

Protection services may not start and you might have issues with the UI, but that's "normal" on some systems. Just give it some time and then reboot once again.

Step 8)

After you rebooted, open "avastsupport.exe" and run it. It's gonna automatically check the integrity of the installation and it should report everything with the word "SUCCESS" in green. If it doesn't, click "next". In the next screen, provide the email address of your account and write down all the steps you took before the error happened. This way, a new ticket is gonna be created, but this time it will report everything about your system (but with a bit of luck we won't get there).

If you feel comfortable enough to "trust me" and something goes terribly wrong, let me in via Team Viewer.

OK, I did do it (on Christmas Day, how sad is that! :lol:)

Step 1)

Use "avastclear.exe" to get rid of every file, folder, setting and registry change made by Avast.

I've run that many times before, did it in Safe Mode, hopefully all now clear.

Step 2)

Reboot.

Check!

Step 3)

Go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and make sure that "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Terminal Services" are set to "Automatic" and have started. If they are disabled, make sure to enable and start them.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service was on manual and not running.
I set it to Automatic and ran it, after that it did then seem to be running all the time even after reboots.
However, I've now noticed that it has set itself back to "manual" again, although it is running at the moment.
Isn't it a service that's normally on manual, and just runs when it's needed? :dubbio:
Terminal Services was on Automatic and was and is running.

Step 4)

Make sure you have the latest .NET Framework and C++ Redistributables installed. If you don't, install them and reboot.

I didn't have C++ Redistributable 2017 installed (14.16.27012.6).
I installed it, and it replaced C++ Redistributable 2015 (14.0.24123.0), which I assume is correct.
The 2005, 2008, 2012 and 2014 redistributables are also installed.
I have all the .NET versions installed up to version 4.0 (which is the last for XP of course) all with their latest POSReady hack updates.

Step 5)

Apply the registry patch and reboot.

Done!

Step 6)

Install Avast 18.8.2356 free using the installer provided making sure that you are running it as Administrator.

Done, with the same result as before, AV Service not running (and won't run) and just an error message from the UI.
There is no "run as administrator" option on XP of course, but I am the sole user and Administrator on the machine.
I got an error message about Avast Secure Browser having had an unspecified install error, but I think that may be because it isn't XP compatible.
Strange, because I would have thought that the installer would have known I was running XP and wouldn't have offered it! :dubbio:

Step 7)

Protection services may not start and you might have issues with the UI, but that's "normal" on some systems. Just give it some time and then reboot once again.

Rebooted umpteen times, same result as expected I'm afraid! :(
The machine is now taking a long time to start up, hanging on "Loading your personal settings" and taking much longer than normal for the desktop to load.

Step 8)

After you rebooted, open "avastsupport.exe" and run it. It's gonna automatically check the integrity of the installation and it should report everything with the word "SUCCESS" in green. If it doesn't, click "next". In the next screen, provide the email address of your account and write down all the steps you took before the error happened. This way, a new ticket is gonna be created, but this time it will report everything about your system (but with a bit of luck we won't get there).

OK, did that.
I have in fact already used this tool with Avast Support, but they didn't say that the result it sent to them told them anything useful.
It did say there was a problem with the installation of course.

Shall I send you the files it generated to see if you can see anything in them?

Cheers, Dave.
Oh, and Happy Christmas!
:lol:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

Update!

I have now discovered, quite by chance as I thought I would just give it a try as I hadn't before, that the latest version of AVG works fine on my system!
I didn't think it would, as it's virtually identical to Avast (they are the same company).
However, AVG 18.8.4084.0 works, and Avast 18.8.4084.0 doesn't!
The AVG version is still a bit slow starting up and shutting down, but at least the main service runs, which it won't on the Avast version.

The obvious difference I can see between the two is that the UI is different.
I'm therefore coming to the conclusion that it's the new Avast UI which is causing the problems on my machine.
This is also borne out by the fact that Avast 12 runs reasonably well on my system, but versions 17-18 don't, and in fact versions after 18.3 don't run at all.
The fact that the UI changed completely between version 12 and version 17 is no coincidence I'm sure!

Any thoughts @FranceBB?

:dubbio:

Edited by dencorso
2nd typo "bourne out" - blame autocorrectors