My Browser Builds (Part 1)

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

... It's all because of upstream changes:

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1124

This was again code clean-up, conceived and executed by Matt A. Tobin

Basilisk isn't Firefox and Firefox Developer Edition features at our level were barely implemented let alone useful

Specifically, the DevEd Theme GUI breakages are due to:

[Basilisk] Remove Dev Edition theme.

if you want to get it back, please drop me a line :)

Edited by roytam1

@TechnoRelic :

I have the answer to your SM 2.49.5 issue of not being able to playback HTML5 instagram videos under WinXP:

1. Via the Adobe Primetime CDM

a. [LATER EDIT: I was kindly asked to provide here a download link for the AP CDM files; links for those do exist in the "Enable MP4 (H.264 + AAC) HTML5 video in Firefox on Windows XP without Flash" pinned thread, so it isn't like it's hard to find them; however, I have opted to provide the original official link, straight from Adobe's servers:

https://cdmdownload.adobe.com/firefox/win/x86/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip

The link is still live and tested mere minutes ago - if you're wondering how I got there (because, tried as I might with web searches, I wasn't able to find it), it's by loading the following URI:

https://aus5.mozilla.org/update/3/GMP/51.0.1/20170125094131/WINNT_x86-msvc-x86/en-US/release/Windows_NT%206.0.2.0%20(x86)/default/default/update.xml

... which is the URI queried by the internal gmp-manager of stable Firefox 51.0.1 32-bit under Vista SP2! ]

Just make sure you do install the CDM properly inside your existing SM profile:

./<ProfileDir>\gmp-eme-adobe\17\[3 files, one of which is eme-adobe.dll]

b. Create/modify accordingly the following prefs:

media.gmp-provider.enabled;true (boolean)
browser.eme.ui.enabled;true (boolean)
browser.eme.ui.firstContentShown;true (boolean)
media.eme.apiVisible;true (boolean)
media.eme.enabled;true (boolean)
media.gmp-eme-adobe.abi;x86-msvc-x86 (string)
media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled;true (boolean)
media.gmp-eme-adobe.forceSupported;true (boolean)
media.gmp-eme-adobe.lastUpdate;1500000000 (integer)
media.gmp-eme-adobe.version;17 (string)
media.gmp-eme-adobe.visible;true (boolean)
media.gmp.decoder.enabled;true (boolean)
media.gmp.decoder.h264;2 (integer)
media.gmp.decoder.aac;2 (integer)

c. Restart SM 2.49.5; head over to about:addons/Plugins and configure the CDM to Always Activate:

OxqZR4I.jpg

If everything was done right, heading to

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2Nb4FGFQZ8/

and pressing the white PLAY button, you should be able to view the video inline...

(I tested this successfully under Vista SP2 by first toggling media.wmf.enabled to false, thus simulating XP)

2. Dirty hack, by using @roytam1's modified DLLs.

All this was inspired from: 

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3040639

a. Download latest Serpent 52.9.0 package by Roy Tam
b. Extract the .7z file to a folder, copy the following 3 files:

mozavcodec.dll
mozavutil.dll
vcomp140.dll

c. Locate your SM 2.49.5 installation folder - rename and back-up the original files mozavcodec.dll & mozavutil.dll (of version 52.9.1.7156)
d. Place there the 3 aforementioned files, extracted from the Serpent package.
e. Launch SM

Now SM 2.49.5 should be able to use the patented decoders contained in the modded DLLs; so HTML5 MP4 should be playable! (not tested by me, though... :whistle: EDIT: Just tested, and it works!)

Best wishes :)

Edited by VistaLover
1. Added overlooked pref 2. Added link to the CDM

So, I installed SM 2.49.5 on my Win 7 system at home for testing, and try as I might, I could not get the Adobe Primetime CDM to install!

I have no idea what's wrong. All the prefs are there; the "17" subdirectory is there, but it just won't show up in about:addons/Plug-ins. At one point it even deleted some of the prefs and the "17" subdirectory! I restored it again and flagged the files read-only, and it hasn't deleted them again, but it still won't show up.

Primetime works fine in Serpent on the same system. I know it should work with SM too since I see it in the screen shots above.

So, I fell back to method 2, which works fine. The Instagram test video plays just fine. But this has me baffled. I'll try again on my XP VM tomorrow and see if my luck is any better there.

6 hours ago, VistaLover said:

2. Dirty hack, by using @roytam1's modified DLLs.

All this was inspired from: 

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3040639

a. Download latest Serpent 52.9.0 package by Roy Tam
b. Extract the .7z file to a folder, copy the following 3 files:

mozavcodec.dll
mozavutil.dll
vcomp140.dll

c. Locate your SM 2.49.5 installation folder - rename and back-up the original files mozavcodec.dll & mozavutil.dll (of version 52.9.1.7156)
d. Place there the 3 aforementioned files, extracted from the Serpent package.
e. Launch SM

Now SM 2.49.5 should be able to use the patented decoders contained in the modded DLLs; so HTML5 MP4 should be playable! (not tested by me, though... :whistle: EDIT: Just tested, and it works!)

Could this or a similar method work for New Moon 27 on 2000?

I could probably run SM 2.49.5 if not, but I'm worried that it'd be too slow and heavy on my old P4 machine. To that end, I probably have no business trying to watch MP4/HTML5 videos on it anyway (and it's not like I don't have any better machines for the task; My main tower right now has a Xeon X5680 with 18 GB of RAM, and can handle anything I throw at it), but it's a "because I can" sort of thing :)

c

1 hour ago, cc333 said:

Could this or a similar method work for New Moon 27 on 2000?

I could probably run SM 2.49.5 if not, but I'm worried that it'd be too slow and heavy on my old P4 machine. To that end, I probably have no business trying to watch MP4/HTML5 videos on it anyway (and it's not like I don't have any better machines for the task; My main tower right now has a Xeon X5680 with 18 GB of RAM, and can handle anything I throw at it), but it's a "because I can" sort of thing :)

c

you should have a look on FAQ section in #1.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:02 AM, Mathwiz said:

So, I installed SM 2.49.5 on my Win 7 system at home for testing
(snipped)
Primetime works fine in Serpent on the same system
(snipped)
So, I fell back to method 2, which works fine. The Instagram test video plays just fine

Some points to be made:

1. If on Win7, you don't really need Adobe Primetime CDM as a HTML5 MP4 video decoder (on Serpent and/or SM); Win7 comes already equipped with WMF and M$ provided patented decoders for H264+AAC.
2. To test the successful functioning of Adobe Primetime CDM (as a decoder) on either Serpent (52+55) or SM under Win7 (actually Vista SP2 and higher), don't neglect to first turn off WMF in the browser's about:config ;) ; in Serpent's case (as opposed to SM), don't also neglect to turn off the ffmpeg provided patented decoders, by setting media.ffvpx.enabled to false!

Edited by VistaLover

roytam -

I just discovered a bug.  If "layers.prefer-opengl" is set to true, Basilisk crashes with Xul.dll.  There were other problems with OpenGL in the past, but the program opened with it enabled.  OS is Windows XP x64, Basilisk 64.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, roytam1 said:

which Serpent? moebius or UXP based?

Forgive my ignorance, I am not certain how to find that out.  This is the file I downloaded from your website:

basilisk52-g4.4.win64-git-20190907-6db06749e-xpmod.7z

Thank you for all your hard work :worship:

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

If on Win7, you don't really need Adobe Primetime CDM as a HTML5 MP4 video decoder (on Serpent and/or SM); Win7 comes already equipped with WMF and M$ provided patented decoders for H264+AAC.

True; this was just for testing. I wanted to see if I could get it to install, but I couldn't.

I've since tried on XP (where either it or @roytam1's modded .DLLs are actually needed) but I'm running into the same problem.

Edit: OK, just for kicks, I just tried your Instagram video without copying over modded .DLLs and it ... worked? Yet it's not showing the Primetime plug-in on about:addons/Plug-ins.... Now I'm starting to question my sanity.

Edit 2: OK, it's definitely using Primetime to play the video. If I rename the "17" folder, it doesn't play; if I rename it back to "17" (and reinstall the media.gmp-eme-adobe.version pref and set it to 17) it works again!

So the problem isn't that Primetime won't run; apparently it works just fine! The problem is simply that it won't show up in about:addons!

Edited by Mathwiz

https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-fork-targetting-xp/?do=findComment&comment=1170340

@VistaLover (above URL) did SOLVE the SM 2.49.5 Browser situation for INSTAGRAM Video (embedded) playback.

Okay, SUCCESS here on using your ('VL') instructions for INSTAGRAM Video (embedded) playback
with SeaMonkey 2.49.5 Browser under WinXP OS.

But ODDLY here, the 'Adobe Primetime CDM' does NOT LIST under (ADD-ONs) the PLUGINS listing.
However, INSTAGRAM Video playback seems FINE now for me, so PLEASED on this.
THANKS to work out this solution. :)

--- As added feedback (below) ---
(1) Should make CLEAR that these are 'about:config' (address bar) entry changes.

(2) media.eme.enabled;true (boolean)
Did 'instant' create with 'FALSE' value (here). So, I changed it to 'TRUE' value (via TOGGLE).

(3) media.gmp.decoder.enabled;true (boolean)
Did 'instant' create with 'TRUE' value (here). So, no change needed.

(4) Sourced from @mixit ; who provided earlier solutions to this INSTAGRAM Video (embedded) playback situation. 'MIXIT' said "Adobe has removed the (PRIMETIME CDM) package from download, but @sdfox7 has kindly archived a copy (along with a backup link)" -->
(a) http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip
(b) https://web.archive.org/web/20170718145441/http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/primetime_gmp_win_x86_gmc_40673.zip
--- As added feedback (above) ---

The ('VL') instructions are COMPLETELY CLEAR overall. No problem here to make the changes.
This seems NOT a difficult 'Tweak' to make it happen, in my view.

What this means, is that the SM 2.49.5 Browser can now support INSTAGRAM Video (embedded)
and also LANGUAGE PACKS too, under WinXP OS.

I plan to stay with the RT BNAV Browser in any event. My OLD LAPTOP hardware and WinXP OS
seems to LIKE the RT BNAV Browser (ENGLISH Language ONLY). And also, RT does MAINTAIN
his Browsers at a HIGH QUALITY level. NOT so sure as to what will happen with SM 2.49.5 Browser
over time (future) -->
https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/

So, this is all GOOD NEWS as I see it. THANKS again to 'VL' for this TWEAK. :thumbup

Edited by TechnoRelic

Glad you got SM working. The same thing happened to me: I installed Primetime, but it won't show up in the plug-ins list, but it seems to work anyway.

BNav, of course doesn't need Primetime since it has @roytam1's modded .dll's. Which is good, because AFAICS, Primetime will not install in BNav. If you install Primetime and set media.ffvpx.enabled to "false," Instagram videos will still play in Serpent and SM via Primetime, but won't play in BNav even if you install Primetime and create all the same prefs as in SM.

BTW, I find BNav's Edit / Preferences dialogs to be woefully inadequate compared to SM. There's no way to set proxy preferences; all the "advanced" dialogs are missing! I had to copy my proxy prefs from SM to BNav manually just to test Instagram in BNav here at work.

17 hours ago, VistaLover said:

.. It's all because of upstream changes:

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/1124

This was again code clean-up, conceived and executed by Matt A. Tobin

Basilisk isn't Firefox and Firefox Developer Edition features at our level were barely implemented let alone useful considering we don't do Add-on Signing or other Modern Mozilla-y non-sense.

Specifically, the DevEd Theme GUI breakages are due to:

[Basilisk] Remove Dev Edition theme.

Like you, I also happen to like the Dev Edition Theme over the default Australis one

The man has no imagination. At least the F12 key still works....

And the DevEd Theme isn't limited to developers! I'd think lots of folks are like us and prefer it even for day-to-day use.

Edit: I guess it does fit with his philosophy though: make the browser itself as minimal as possible and move everything else to add-ons. Except, by that logic MCP should have put the removed theme at addons.basilisk-browser.org. Needless to say, they didn't.

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

if you want to get it back, please drop me a line :)

Would you please? It's just a theme, for crying out loud....

Edited by Mathwiz

17 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

BTW, I find BNav's Edit / Preferences dialogs to be woefully inadequate compared to SM. There's no way to set proxy preferences; all the "advanced" dialogs are missing! I had to copy my proxy prefs from SM to BNav manually just to test Instagram in BNav here at work.

https://o.rths.cf/boc-uxp/
BNAV Browser Download (RT)

RT has uploaded (URL above) this Extension file (xpi) -->

foxyproxy@eric.h.jung.xpi
FoxyProxy Standard 4.6.5 Extension

NOT sure if or how that this relates exactly to your "PROXY" comments about BNAV Browser.
But this Extension does install successfully into BNAV Browser and seems to function okay.

Well, I did it the old-fashioned way: closed the browser and copied the "network.proxy" settings from my Serpent prefs.js to my BNav prefs.js using Wordpad :blushing: Not proud of it, but it worked; I was able to get to Instagram.

FoxyProxy is fine, of course; just a bit more elaborate than what I needed. It lets you route different URLs to different proxies based on pattern matching. The built-in support requires a .pac file to do that.

RT has one other add-on in the boc-uxp/ folder: good ol' uBO. Latest legacy version. :D