Jump to content

My Browser Builds (Part 1)


Recommended Posts


7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

He was also responsible for the Windows Vista debacle, wasn't he? Windows 7 was also released during his tenure, which, to be fair, was a decent and stable, albeit bloated OS that did much to clean up Vista's mess.

To be clear, was he CEO from '03 or '04-ish to '13-ish? I don't remember, but I do know that Bill Gates stepped down sometime before Vista's release, which was late '06/early '07.

c

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is anyone missing new container tabs from the File menu? Up until the latest uxp build they were there and I've been using them right along but now the option is gone. The "privacy.userContext.enabled" and "privacy.userContext.ui.enabled' prefs are set to true and they're working in 52esr so I'm guessing it's something specific to Basilisk. I tried installing the Multi-Account Containers addon but all it gives me is a thin line down below the toolbar button and nothing else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Is anyone missing new container tabs from the File menu? Up until the latest uxp build they were there and I've been using them right along but now the option is gone. The "privacy.userContext.enabled" and "privacy.userContext.ui.enabled' prefs are set to true and they're working in 52esr so I'm guessing it's something specific to Basilisk.

Container tabs were removed from official Basilisk 52.9.2019.xx.xx upstream; this "code cleanup" was tracked in UXP issue #756 and finally implemented via UXP PR #834; the latest UXP changelog posted by @roytam1 here does have that code merged, 

On 3/30/2019 at 4:55 AM, roytam1 said:

Official repo changes since my last build:
- Issue #756 - Remove Contextual Identity References from Pale Moon (ad5bbbdb6)
- Issue #756 - Remove contextual identity from BackgroundPageThumbs.jsm (d0b4eb41b)
- Issue #756 - Remove Contextual Identity from Basilisk (1f5194b5f)
- Issue #756 - Remove Contextual Identity from UnifiedComplete (2d20c38f8)
- Issue #756 - Remove Contextual Identity from DevTools (1413b3d6f)

so yes, the upstream changes made it to latest Serpent 52.9.0 ;) (packages "basilisk52-g4.1.win**-git-20190330-843e4ceff-xpmod.7z); I bet Roy goes into the trouble of posting the official UXP changelog so that people can inform themselves... :P

Edited by VistaLover
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, I missed that in the changelog.

Curious, what exactly were they "cleaning up"? Container tabs worked good and were useful. It wouldn't be a problem if the addon could replace them but it isn't functional and I tried all their versions. So I guess for container tabs I'll have to use 52esr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, DanR20 said:

I tried installing the Multi-Account Containers addon but all it gives me is a thin line down below the toolbar button and nothing else.

In UXP issue #756 they mention the MultiFox (legacy) extension; Classic Addons Archive (CAA) only has the v2 variety saved (caa:addon/multifox), but I managed to track down v3 on GitHub: 

https://github.com/hultmann/multifox/releases/tag/3.2.3

Supposedly, v3 has per-tab separate profile support, so it should replicate at least part of the functionality removed by the "beheading" of Container Tabs; not tested here, though... ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was hoping that MultiFox would be a good alternative but it's got obvious bugs. One is that noscript breaks when opening a new profile in a new window, at least with google voice. I'll keep playing around with it but it's not as straightforward as container tabs.

The other option is private windows, that is until that gets cleaned up too. I'm afraid if they keep doing that there will be nothing left of the browser and no reason to use it. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DanR20 said:

Thanks, I missed that in the changelog.

Curious, what exactly were they "cleaning up"? Container tabs worked good and were useful. It wouldn't be a problem if the addon could replace them but it isn't functional and I tried all their versions. So I guess for container tabs I'll have to use 52esr.

You could always stay on last weeks version http://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/2019/03/weekly-browser-binaries-20190323.html in order to use that feature until you find a proper work around.  Having the latest bleeding edge is not always conducive to getting things done in my experience.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, leland said:

Having the latest bleeding edge is not always conducive to getting things done in my experience.  

All one has to do is look at Quantum to know how true that statement is. It's one of the main reasons for using forks like basilisk in the first place.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DanR20 said:

The other option is private windows, that is until that gets cleaned up too

You could always give Infocatcher's Private Tab extension (caa:addon/private-tab) a try; I have it installed in latest New Moon 28.5.0a1 and I can report it's running satisfactorily :yes: there; e.g., I can use two different gmail/facebook accounts in two different tabs under the same browser window; but No Script isn't installed in my profile, so no way to know how it interacts with Private Tab :dubbio:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DanR20 said:

Thanks, I missed that in the changelog.

Curious, what exactly were they "cleaning up"? Container tabs worked good and were useful. It wouldn't be a problem if the addon could replace them but it isn't functional and I tried all their versions. So I guess for container tabs I'll have to use 52esr.

To be fair, they did this in part for speed:

Quote

So far there have been no side affects (sic) other than a noticeable speed increase in tab performance, and cookies being visible for background thumbnails which were previously hidden.

... but I suspect they were a bit overconfident in the Multifox add-on when they made this decision:

Quote

As Contextual Identity is already disabled by default in app/profile's js and can likely be replaced with an addon (MultiFox et. all (sic)) at a later date we can probably remove this code.

Key word being "likely." If someone had bothered to test MultiFox, they might have realized it's not quite ready to replace what was removed.

3 hours ago, DanR20 said:

The other option is private windows, that is until that gets cleaned up too. I'm afraid if they keep doing that there will be nothing left of the browser and no reason to use it.

This isn't the first time that MCP has gotten overzealous (IMO) in removing useful functionality. It wasn't all that long ago that they removed all WE APIs, thus forcing most users to either dump all their WE add-ons (with Basilisk) or all their legacy add-ons (with Firefox). Luckily for us @roytam1 reverted that change in Serpent.

This time, it looks like Matt A. Tobin was on the side of keeping the functionality, at least in Basilisk:

Quote

@mattatobin mentioned we may still want to keep Contextual Identity in Basilisk since it is the toolkit demo application.

The big difference this time is that fewer folks knew container tabs even existed. I didn't know about them either until you mentioned them and the about:config prefs that enable them, but now that I see what they do, I can see their utility and am also reluctant to update.

Edited by Mathwiz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a very nice addon by Infocatcher, thanks VL for telling me about it.

It's not quite the same as container tabs, it's basically a private window in a tab instead but it's so much nicer and convenient than opening it up in a window. Lots of options too; I like being able to easily toggle between a regular tab and a private one. Definitely a keeper.

Container tabs have a different function in the way they keep cookies and history separated between the tabs. Maybe Roy can bring that back too the way he did webextensions? Don't want to push our luck on this but I wish the main guys would stop removing useful features, you'd think they were Mozilla or something.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

The big difference this time is that fewer folks knew container tabs even existed. I didn't know about them either until you mentioned them and the about:config prefs that enable them, but now that I see what they do, I can see their utility and am also reluctant to update.

They're useful if you want to sign into different accounts at the same site at the same time, or to prevent possible tracking. I only recently started making use of them myself and hate to see them removed so unceremoniously but like you said, many probably don't even know the feature exists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Container tabs were removed from official Basilisk 52.9.2019.xx.xx upstream; this "code cleanup" was tracked in UXP issue #756 and finally implemented via UXP PR #834; the latest UXP changelog posted by @roytam1 here does have that code merged, 

so yes, the upstream changes made it to latest Serpent 52.9.0 ;) (packages "basilisk52-g4.1.win**-git-20190330-843e4ceff-xpmod.7z); I bet Roy goes into the trouble of posting the official UXP changelog so that people can inform themselves... :P

if there is a need of this, I can restore it by reverting them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, DanR20 said:

All one has to do is look at Quantum to know how true that statement is. It's one of the main reasons for using forks like basilisk in the first place.

Quantum is great IMO - fast, beautiful. The way Chrome should be, actuallly (which is getting slower and slower these days).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...