Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

46 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I won't test any Kaspersky security program. I never liked it...

D.Draker would agree with that, and it was not my intention to pressure you into testing Kaspersky 19 - only to point out a gap in our knowledge. :)

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Starting with Kaspersky 19.0, the system requirements changed, and Windows Vista was listed as a minimum requirement. :)

... Well, according to below support article, last reviewed on Aug 13, 2019, min WinOS version targeting KAV19 is Windows 7 Starter SP0

https://support.kaspersky.com/KAV/2019/en-US/43520.htm

It's totally unknown to me :whistle:whether KAV19 could be installed on Vista SP2 (let alone on XP SP3) 32-bit, provided all the rest software/hardware requirements were met (and there were several ;) ) ; still, I have a very faint recollection of someone posting back then in the Vista subforums, claiming to be running KAF19 (Kaspersky Antivirus Free 19) under Vista (but NOT XP!), but am too tired :blushing: now to search for that post, sorry :P ...

25 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

and it was not my intention to pressure you into testing Kaspersky 19 - only to point out a gap in our knowledge. :)

Thanks for pointing out a gap in my knowledge! I do appreciate that. :) TBH, no one is perfect. And don't worry I do not feel any pressure here as always. I generally do what I think to be done. :P

4 hours ago, legacyfan said:

happy birthday to the best antimalware ever!

Your profile shows that you are running Windows 8.1 this week, in which case the good news is that Malwarebytes still supports Windows 7 and above, i.e. you are not restricted to using 5-year-old version 3.5.1. Not only that, but Malwarebytes 4.x versions have scored better in independent tests! :)

I never realized that you were a fan of Malwarebytes. As recently as January 16 you stated, “I’ve never used anything else accept avast.” Then you puzzled me by stating on March 9 that “panda is definitely the better choice...and has been my go to antivirus for the past year now”!? :blink:

Looks like no one has posted in the Windows 8 forum since April 19, so perhaps you could try to liven things up over there? 🤔

Not this thread but on the other one, I wonder if a "poll" would be helpful?

I'm thinking more along the lines of removing any bias and sticking with undeniable hard-core data.

If the "poll" voted by all MSFN Members following the thread has Kaspersky in the top 3 or 5 or so, then we should use real data to assist MSFN Members to use it or not.

I'd be willing to run the top 3 or 5 or so and do "quantitative analysis" (in a VM only!) for hard-core data, which consumes more RAM, which scans a 20 MB reference .zip file the fastest, which slows the install of an Office Suite the slowest, which effects PC Startup Time the most, numbers like that are important to me.

1 hour ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Your profile shows that you are running Windows 8.1 this week, in which case the good news is that Malwarebytes still supports Windows 7 and above, i.e. you are not restricted to using 5-year-old version 3.5.1. Not only that, but Malwarebytes 4.x versions have scored better in independent tests! :)

I never realized that you were a fan of Malwarebytes. As recently as January 16 you stated, “I’ve never used anything else accept avast.” Then you puzzled me by stating on March 9 that “panda is definitely the better choice...and has been my go to antivirus for the past year now”!? :blink:

Looks like no one has posted in the Windows 8 forum since April 19, so perhaps you could try to liven things up over there? 🤔

Ive quit using avast since norton-avast combined (now Gen Digital)

Edited by legacyfan

18 hours ago, VistaLover said:

but am too tired :blushing: now to search for that post, sorry :P ...

I can search for that post instead if you want. Do you at least remember in what topic was that post at?

8 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I can search for that post instead if you want. Do you at least remember in what topic was that post at?

... Thanks for that kind offer :); unfortunately, my memory betrays me these days. :(... I've managed to locate a certain post by @Vistapocalypse where he, in fact, makes a mention of what I've spoken about, 

On 1/22/2021 at 6:17 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Kaspersky 18.x officially supported Vista and XP, and there have been reports that
19.x worked on vanilla Vista despite no longer officially supporting it.

however I was not successful at locating those exact reports... Kaspersky themselves no longer offer downloads for KFA2019 (Kaspersky Free Antivirus 2019, aka Kaspersky Antivirus Free (KAF) 2019 or just 19), but "neowin" have archived a stub (web/on-line) installer for it:

https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/homeuser/kfa2019/19.0.0.1088/english-gb-0.57.0/kfa19.0.0.1088en_14173.exe

Since mina7601 keeps a Vista SP2 VM, perhaps an attempt to install it there could be made? For best results, that VM should be first updated all the way to Vista's EoL, plus select WS2008 updates enabling SHA-2 signature support should also be installed; additionally, KFA2019 requires .NET FW 4.x.x installed; for NT6.0, Microsoft have last year produced a 4.6.2 installer that works out-of-the-box (whereas in the past, only 4.6.1 would work) ...

All this talk is, of course, OT for this (XP) thread ;) , but since an offer was made to clarify things once and for all, why not accept it? Perhaps even attempt an installation of KFA19 on a fully updated XP SP3 system (with .NET FW 4.0.3) while one's at it? ;)

Edited by VistaLover
added .net fw details

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

...I've managed to locate a certain post by @Vistapocalypse where he, in fact, makes a mention of what I've spoken about....however I was not successful at locating those exact reports...

My old friend VistaLover seems to have put me “on the spot.” :o Alright then: My dim recollections lead me to another forum where a Vista user who went by the name AndyTampa posted a query about Windows Mail in April 2019:

https://www.vistax64.com/threads/yahoo-embedded-images-missing-damaged-in-windows-vista-default-mail-client.305570/

In the last line of the original post, he provided his exact antivirus version. I’m certain that I could unearth at least one more instance of someone using Kaspersky 19 on Vista if I searched long enough, but it wouldn’t necessarily follow that it was also compatible with XP (although one author of Kaspersky support articles certainly seems to think it was). In case I haven’t mentioned it lately, I never used Kaspersky myself.

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

...Since mina7601 keeps a Vista SP2 VM, perhaps an attempt to install it there could be made? ...KFA2019 requires .NET FW 4.x.x installed....Perhaps even attempt an installation of KFA19 on a fully updated XP SP3 system (with .NET FW 4.0.3) while one's at it? ;)

By all means attempt it! However, winvispixp stated January 22, 2021 “I couldn’t install it [KFA18] in a vm but on my real pc it works just fine.”

12 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Since mina7601 keeps a Vista SP2 VM, perhaps an attempt to install it there could be made? For best results, that VM should be first updated all the way to Vista's EoL, plus select WS2008 updates enabling SHA-2 signature support should also be installed; additionally, KFA2019 requires .NET FW 4.x.x installed; for NT6.0, Microsoft have last year produced a 4.6.2 installer that works out-of-the-box (whereas in the past, only 4.6.1 would work) ...

All this talk is, of course, OT for this (XP) thread ;) , but since an offer was made to clarify things once and for all, why not accept it? Perhaps even attempt an installation of KFA19 on a fully updated XP SP3 system (with .NET FW 4.0.3) while one's at it? ;)

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

By all means attempt it!

Sure, I will attempt an installation of KFA19 later.

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Yeah well, I downloaded the installer linked by @VistaLover, and when I tried to open it (on a fully updated XP SP3 and a Vista SP2 VM), it shows "Server returned error 404" error.

It looks like Kaspersky Free 2019 is no longer an option for any OS. :( I just searched Kaspersky’s website and it was possible to select paid versions of Kaspersky 2019 (evidently offline installers), but the only free version in the dropdown list was 2018. If anyone is interested in those:

https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/

48 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

It looks like Kaspersky Free 2019 is no longer an option for any OS. :( I just searched Kaspersky’s website and it was possible to select paid versions of Kaspersky 2019 (evidently offline installers), but the only free version in the dropdown list was 2018. If anyone is interested in those:

https://products.s.kaspersky-labs.com/

I found an offline installer for Kaspersky Free 19. No official link but a link to a file hoster. I am not sure if I am allowed to post it here. On the official Kaspersky servers, the folder KFA19 has been deleted. This version does not exist there anymore. The folder KFA18 still exists, though. That's probably why the online installer of KFA19 can't load its necessary files. And TBH, that was of course foreseeable. :cool:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 5/9/2023 at 2:27 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

That was in 2021. I’m not sure how it could affect Windows XP diehards using a 2018 version of Avast. 🤔

Exactly. Luckily we're on an old version that won't get any changes anyway. I just hope they won't kill it. Ah and by the way, the merger has only been approved by the European regulator few days ago, so they were still effectively two separate companies. Anyway, it saddens me a bit to see avast end up in the hands of Symantec (which is actually broadcom). 

So now we have Piriform (Speccy, CCleaner etc), Norton, Symantec, Avira, AVG and Avast all under one single company, Gen Digital. :(

P.s I saw the whole discussion about Kaspersky, but to be fair, the last thing I wanna do in this historical period is install a Russian antivirus on my computer. I mean... it's probably ok, but these days you never know...