Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

On 6/3/2023 at 3:53 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

I already knew that you have a lifetime license (note correct spelling please). It does not follow that other XP (or Vista) users would be well-advised to purchase a Malwarebytes Premium license in June 2023 or thereafter. I would imagine that a Norton license could be used on a newer OS, but Windows 10 and 11 have a very good antivirus built in - which is precisely why there have been so many mergers in the antivirus industry lately. :dubbio:

I would never advise anyone to buy a licence (note UK spelling please, your spelling is American English) for Norton. But I would always recommend Malwarebytes Premium, whose licence could be used in newer operating systems without problems, if necessary. albert.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

...a licence (note UK spelling please, your spelling is American English)...

My apologies! I looked that up while MSFN was unavailable and your spelling is indeed considered correct in the UK (although not in my small country of 334 million people). I would’ve edited my post if I could’ve, but it’s rather late now. :)

I have no particular axe to grind with respect to Norton (or Kaspersky). Sure, I’ve seen tests by independent labs showing that Norton (along with Kaspersky) was among the most effective antivirus products in the world; but if XP users at MSFN would rather not hear that, then I won’t mention it again. :no:

11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The term "disenfranchisement of the user" cannot be used often enough with regard to Norton. I have used Norton Antivirus several times in the now more than 20 years of Windows XP experience. Again and again, files were deleted and actions were carried out that were not authorised by me. Norton Antivirus is simply the very worst. :thumbdown And by the way, I am someone who always makes up my own mind and articulates it. People who only repeat what others say make me want to puke. vomit2.gif

To everyone:

First of all, everything AstroSkipper says - you're demanded to have no doubts about it! Don't you dare to think otherwise.

To the the wise scholar AstroSkipper:

The bloody "free" Norton's licence-burden came on the CD disk with my Siemens PC, and I had the same terrible experience.

I would never advise anyone to buy a licence from them also, of course.

To everyone, again:

Norton is on the same level of terrible experience along with Kaspersky. 

Kaspersky even dared to find a "virus" in the famous MKVToolNix programme by the famous German author Mosu - Moritz Bunkus.

For those who are in bed with Kaspersky, confirmed by Kaspersky itself: the original setup.exe was a false positive. (of course!):

https://mkvtoolnix.download/allegedly-backdoor-in-windows-installer-v2-4-1.html

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

1 - My apologies! I looked that up while MSFN was unavailable and your spelling is indeed considered correct in the UK (although not in my small country of 334 million people). I would’ve edited my post if I could’ve, but it’s rather late now. :)

2 - I’ve seen tests by independent labs showing that Norton (along with Kaspersky) was among the most effective antivirus products in the world; but if XP users at MSFN would rather not hear that, then I won’t mention it again. :no:

1 - His spelling is indeed considered correct in the the whole World (minus one country), not only in the UK.

2 - Yes, read the above, it was not "effective". Never was, never will be.

Yes, I don't wanna hear about it ever again, I think AstroSkipper agrees with me.

10 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

My apologies! I looked that up while MSFN was unavailable and your spelling is indeed considered correct in the UK (although not in my small country of 334 million people). I would’ve edited my post if I could’ve, but it’s rather late now. :)

I have no particular axe to grind with respect to Norton (or Kaspersky). Sure, I’ve seen tests by independent labs showing that Norton (along with Kaspersky) was among the most effective antivirus products in the world; but if XP users at MSFN would rather not hear that, then I won’t mention it again. :no:

Even though I have a clear and incontrovertible opinion of Norton, there may well be others who prefer software that makes every decision for them. All I can say is: to each their own! smilie_denk_24.gif And of course the population is larger in the USA (than in the UK), but the English language was only imported. It originated somewhere else. :P But honestly, I mix British and American English very often, rather unconsciously. :) Don't forget, I am not a native English speaker, either! smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

8 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I’ve seen tests by independent labs showing that Norton (along with Kaspersky) was among the most effective antivirus products in the world; 

When? In 1986?

Here's some from 2023.

Kaspersky Antivirus detecting a Medal file as a trojan :buehehe:

Reddit Jan 30, 2023 GameOverlay.dll 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MedalTV/comments/10pdotr/kaspersky_antivirus_detecting_a_medal_file_as_a/

Kaspersky causing Internet connection problems and blocks almost all games :crazy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KasperskyLabs/comments/upe4p6/kaspersky_blocking_internet_connection_to_almost/

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/20o92k/kaspersky_causing_a_no_internet_access_flag/

Kaspersky false positive on Reddit (just use any search engine, it's literally millions of 'em).

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Kaspersky+false+positive+Reddit

"the file is 12 years old", yet they didn't bother to fix it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antivirus/comments/vu6axu/kaspersky_false_positive/

21 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

When? In 1986?

October 2018 seems appropriate (not much point in looking at more recent tests since none of these products support XP/Vista anymore). I never used Kaspersky, but that doesn’t mean I never got any false positives. Note that Malwarebytes Premium got the lowest score by far:

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/october-2018/

11 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

No my friend, that is definitely not all you can say. Your filibuster was successful, so please feel free to stop replying to me now.

Such comments should actually be beneath you. nimportequoi.gif Here, in this thread, it is about antivirus programs for Windows XP and not about personal sensitivities.
Malwarebytes Premium 3.5 didn't have the top score results in the tests at the time, but it does work exactly as you configure it. No such problems with Malwarebytes as I have observed with Norton & Co. Here is a better overview and shows how Malwarebytes has developed up to the latest (not XP-compatible) version, which has very good scores, though: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/manufacturer/malwarebytes/

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Even though I have a clear and incontrovertible opinion of Norton, there may well be others who prefer software that ....

There may be other reasons.

I have been recommending Norton to anyone with a too fast machine for years, it does (did) miracles in slowing down to a crawl any machine, including high end ones. ;)

jaclaz

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

...Here, in this thread, it is about antivirus programs for Windows XP...Here is a better overview and shows how Malwarebytes has developed up to the latest (not XP-compatible) version...

I am aware that Malwarebytes 4.x versions have achieved better test scores in recent years, but I’m not sure how that is relevant to Windows XP (or Vista), since you are stuck with 5-year-old version 3.5.1 and hoping they won’t stop providing definitions signed with insecure SHA-1. I’m beginning to think in terms of blocking your content. :angry:

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

I have been recommending Norton to anyone with a too fast machine for years, it does (did) miracles in slowing down to a crawl any machine, including high end ones. ;)

That was most definitely Norton’s reputation in 2008. Of course it didn’t take much to slow down the hardware that most people had in 2008, which was a major reason for Vista’s poor reception. I bought a high-spec Vista x86 system that spring, but nevertheless I went with the consensus by removing the free trial of Norton and installing AVG Free. My opinions about antivirus products have actually changed considerably during the last 15 years - but there’s an old guy at another forum who has used nothing but Norton for 32 years.

53 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I am aware that Malwarebytes 4.x versions have achieved better test scores in recent years, but I’m not sure how that is relevant to Windows XP (or Vista) ... I’m beginning to think in terms of blocking your content. :angry:

The link contains a table with all tested versions of Malwarebytes Premium including the version 3.5. And you expressed concern about recommending a licence for an antimalware program to users of Windows XP. So if the virus definition updates for Windows XP stop at some point, you still have a licence for a better version with a higher detection rate in a more modern operating system. Therefore, the table is very relevant. Personal attacks don't help, either. :angry: And it's not the first time! :no:
The ability to remain factual without becoming personal is indeed a virtue that not everyone can call their own. :whistle:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 3/24/2023 at 7:00 PM, mina7601 said:

Unfortunately, Panda Dome didn't satisfy me as expected, so I switched back to AVG Antivirus.

That was probably a wise choice! :) I have held my tongue about Panda for a long time because my own dreadful experience with it was several years ago, and frankly because XP diehards might have very little choice in the near future. But since criticism of antivirus software that one doesn’t actually use is such a popular pastime at MSFN, I think it’s time for me to speak out against Panda.

I installed Panda Free near the end of 2014 (which is evidently quite recently in terms of “XP time”). Only paid versions were supposed to include a firewall, but Panda Free nevertheless installed a nonfunctional firewall, which I thought was terribly amateurish. :thumbdown I should’ve gotten rid of it right then and there, but unfortunately I did not.

On March 11, 2015, something quite remarkable happened: Panda attacked itself! I was on my PC at the time. I recall opening Snipping Tool to take a screenshot of a message that Panda had deleted something - at which point Panda attacked Snipping Tool! :angry: I wouldn’t blame anyone for doubting my story, but it wasn’t just me: It was a worldwide debacle for Panda users! :realmad:

https://www.theregister.com/2015/03/11/panda_antivirus_update_self_pwn/

You people think an antivirus is bad if it slows down your browsing or throws an occasional false positive? You ain’t seen nothing unless you were using Panda on March 11, 2015! I will grant that the company made a good effort to reverse the damage - but there were still system files in Panda’s “Lost and Found” folder after the fix. :realmad: In the end, I performed a factory restore, thereby eliminating Panda’s junkware once and for all! :thumbdown