Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

39 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I disagree: Do not close this topic! I would truly hate to see AstroSkipper’s new topic grow at a rate of 20 pages per month like this one did (never mind that there are only a handful of “MW+” products to consider for XP), and frankly I suspect that AstroSkipper would be quite upset if that were to happen. Do not close!

This thread and my new thread are quite different. So no need to close this topic! Maybe, there are members who prefer to post here as they always did. My new thread was not intended to make this one redundant. :no: I think we will still see how things develop. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 4/25/2023 at 11:09 PM, legacyfan said:

<O.T>  32bit firefox installs correctly (even with anything firefox based) its just actually starting it that gives the error but chrome somehow works just fine after install 

I have no idea what version of Firefox you were trying to use and don’t really care! Here is a link to the correct subforum:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183159-browsers-working-on-older-nt-family-oses-link/

13 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I have no idea what version of Firefox you were trying to use and don’t really care! Here is a link to the correct subforum:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183159-browsers-working-on-older-nt-family-oses-link/

sorry for going O.T like that (it was not related to the topic and should of not been asked here) and sorry to the creator of this thread for going O.T

Edited by legacyfan

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

Hi @Dave-H, I'm wondering if you can close this topic. I ask this because there is a better, well-written version of this topic by @AstroSkipper (thanks!)

I see you have already posted four times in AstroSkipper’s new topic. How many security programs have you mentioned there so far? Looks like zero! :angry: If you need social media, my suggestion is Twitter.

22 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I disagree: Do not close this topic! I would truly hate to see AstroSkipper’s new topic grow at a rate of 20 pages per month like this one did (never mind that there are only a handful of “MW+” products to consider for XP), and frankly I suspect that AstroSkipper would be quite upset if that were to happen. Do not close!

21 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

This thread and my new thread are quite different. So no need to close this topic! Maybe, there are members who prefer to post here as they always did. My new thread was not intended to make this one redundant. :no: I think we will still see how things develop. :)

It was just an idea, It's basically up to the moderators if they want to close this topic or not.

20 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Looks like zero!

It's because I did not talk about security programs there yet. Once I do so, it won't be zero.

20 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

If you need social media, my suggestion is Twitter.

Thanks, but I don't need social media.

Edited by mina7601

4 hours ago, mina7601 said:

It was just an idea, It's basically up to the moderators if they want to close this topic or not.

It's because I did not talk about security programs there yet. Once I do so, it won't be zero.

Thanks, but I don't need social media.

Last month at Bleeping Computer, a Windows 7 user named Erunosta was advised that MSFN was the correct forum for his query. Erunosta replied: “I read some topic on MSFN, but I’m not impressed yet. They have too much “noise” talk about everything.”  :blushing:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/784441/steam-on-win7-after-eos/?p=5503135

7 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Last month at Bleeping Computer, a Windows 7 user named Erunosta was advised that MSFN was the correct forum for his query. Erunosta replied: “I read some topic on MSFN, but I’m not impressed yet. They have too much “noise” talk about everything.”  :blushing:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/784441/steam-on-win7-after-eos/?p=5503135

Ah well, if Euronosta is not impressed that says something.

jaclaz

Just writing in to let everyone know I’m not going to be as active here as I was in the past. I know it’s not on-topic but since this thread is more than likely going to be closed and deleted anyway, I thought this would be a good opportunity to speak up without drawing too much attention to myself.

I’ve had a nice time talking to users here but haven’t had much to contribute other than words of encouragement. It seems this forum prizes and values those who actually know how to program/code, and I definitely don’t fall into that category. I had been a lurker for years but joined in 2021 to comment on the Feodor/Tobin situation with Mypal. Since then I don’t think I’ve had much of value to add to the discourse, and the way I see it this is a forum better left to far smarter individuals. I certainly don’t want to annoy the moderators, who have better things to do with their time than read my drivel.

Indeed, it is a difficult task to keep things on-topic, and as I fell in love with this site because of all of the valuable information it provides, the last thing I would ever want to do is sully those waters with posts that are less than useful. So much has changed, but this is still my go-to site when I want to learn about what’s happening on the tech enthusiast front. I am glad I got to know what it feels like to post and to be met with varying degrees of kindness, and responses from people who know far more than I will ever, ever know about this sort of thing.

Of course, I may return in the future, if I have something of value or interest to share. For now, I’ll go back to lurking, just as I was doing for so many years beforehand. To those who have been nice to me, I appreciate it more than you will ever know. To everyone who is making an effort to develop/maintain software that keeps old operating systems useful, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. To the moderators, thank you for striving to maintain law and order here. May you do your best to hold up MSFN’s legendary reputation.

Take care, everyone…I wish you all peace.

25 minutes ago, cmccaff1 said:

but since this thread is more than likely going to be closed and deleted anyway

IMHO, there is no need to close this thread. And one thing is clear. If this thread should be closed, it will still not be deleted. You can access the information collected here at any time, but then you can no longer add anything new. Just as it has always been here on MSFN. Anyway! This thread contains a lot of important information, a source of knowledge. I use it for my research regularly. :yes:

Happy Birthday to Malwarebytes 3.5.1 which is 5 years old today. 🎂

Malwarebytes Premium was first certified by AV Test (Magdeburg, Germany) in October 2018, although its Protection score (4 out of a possible 6) was the lowest of any product in the test. Avast Free scored 5.5 for Protection on that occasion. AVG Internet Security scored the same as Avast Free, which suggests to me that there is no advantage in using paid versions of Avast/AVG products. Of course most products in that test had already stopped supporting XP, including Malwarebytes (although it was still a 3.5 version when testing began in September). An interesting question is whether Kaspersky Internet Security 19.0 was compatible with XP. I don’t know, although I did see reports that it worked on Vista. Unlike Avast, Kaspersky never submitted their free version for testing by independent labs, so we will never know whether Kaspersky Free also could’ve achieved a perfect score.

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

An interesting question is whether Kaspersky Internet Security 19.0 was compatible with XP.

Based on my recent research I did for many different security programs, Kaspersky 18.0 was the last XP-compatible version. Starting with Kaspersky 19.0, the system requirements changed, and Windows Vista was listed as a minimum requirement. :)

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Unlike Avast, Kaspersky never submitted their free version for testing by independent labs, so we will never know whether Kaspersky Free also could’ve achieved a perfect score.

But KIS 18 was tested by AV-TEST, and I assume KFA and KIS 18 are based on the same scan engine as most AV companies usually do. Therefore, the scan results can be used to get an idea. Here is a test of KIS 18https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-7/february-2018/kaspersky-lab-internet-security-18.0-180557/ 

Cheers, AstroSkipper coffeescreen.gif

PS: I totally forgot. :P Also happy birthday to MBAM 3.5.1bye-ballon.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

9 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Happy Birthday to Malwarebytes 3.5.1 which is 5 years old today. 🎂

Malwarebytes Premium was first certified by AV Test (Magdeburg, Germany) in October 2018, although its Protection score (4 out of a possible 6) was the lowest of any product in the test. Avast Free scored 5.5 for Protection on that occasion. AVG Internet Security scored the same as Avast Free, which suggests to me that there is no advantage in using paid versions of Avast/AVG products. Of course most products in that test had already stopped supporting XP, including Malwarebytes (although it was still a 3.5 version when testing began in September). An interesting question is whether Kaspersky Internet Security 19.0 was compatible with XP. I don’t know, although I did see reports that it worked on Vista. Unlike Avast, Kaspersky never submitted their free version for testing by independent labs, so we will never know whether Kaspersky Free also could’ve achieved a perfect score.

happy birthday to the best antimalware ever! (may your day be filled with security and safety)

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Kaspersky 18.0 was the last XP-compatible version. Starting with Kaspersky 19.0, the system requirements changed, and Windows Vista was listed as a minimum requirement.

Incorrect. When Kaspersky dropped Windows XP from its official system requirements, Vista was also dropped. The last Vista user to report using Kaspersky on February 12 was using 18.0, but it does not necessarily follow that 19.0 was incompatible with XP - in fact the author of this Kaspersky support article clearly thought that 19.0 was compatible with XP provided that the processor supports SSE2:

https://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/compatibility/15479

I posted that link as recently as January 24, but unfortunately this thread has doubled in length since then, so repetition is necessary. :blink:

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

But KIS 18 was tested by AV-TEST, and I assume KFA and KIS 18 are based on the same scan engine as most AV companies usually do. Therefore, the scan results can be used to get an idea...

More unproven assumptions based on analogy with “most AV companies,” by which you must mean Avast, since no other AV vendor has regularly submitted a free version for independent testing. Like I already said, “we will never know whether Kaspersky Free also could’ve achieved a perfect score.” One can only assume.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:09 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

More unproven assumptions based on analogy with “most AV companies,” by which you must mean Avast, since no other AV vendor has regularly submitted a free version for independent testing. Like I already said, “we will never know whether Kaspersky Free also could’ve achieved a perfect score.” One can only assume.

Yep, just an assumption as I already stated. And there are others than Avast. The AV scan engine is not reinvented with every edition of a version. And BTW, assuming does not mean knowing. There is a difference.

Edited by AstroSkipper