Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

I am no longer interested in talking to such moderators as Porthos or AdvancedSetup
I have left an appropriate closing comment after all these kind words. :P

... Like I said:

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

truth be told, I don't think you can achieve much :( there, except for venting a bit ;) ...

"We" have built resilient communities here at MSFN, consisting of people on, so called, "legacy" Windows OSes their vendor no longer supports (or, even tries to sabotage nowadays :realmad:), but outside of such communities hostility, FUD, fake facts, etc. is the rule :( ...

That's why I find it useless now in 2023 to "argue" with app authors about extending/continuing their support on older OSes; I did do it in the first years after Vista's EoS (2017); even at that time, most of them (especially on GitHub) were under a firm conviction my Vista laptop had already become part of the botnet... And, as you said, there's no way you could talk them out of such convictions...

Alas, we have to help each other now :( ...

Edited by VistaLover

4 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Like I said:

"We" have built resilient communities here at MSFN, consisting of people on, so called, "legacy" Windows OSes their vendor no longer supports (or, even tries to sabotage nowadays :realmad:), but outside of such communities hostility, FUD, fake facts, etc. is the rule :( ...

That's why I find it useless now in 2023 to "argue" with app authors about extending/continuing their support on older OSes; I did do it in the first years after Vista's EoS (2017); even at that time, most of them (especially on GitHub) were under a firm conviction my Vista laptop had already become part of the botnet... And, as you said, there's no way you could talk them out of such convictions...

I usually consider such discussion as useless, too. But I am really an old customer of Malwarebytes and I don't have to put up with such insolence. In their forum, the moderators only allow answers or questions that conform to their views, including the thread title. You can't edit it and you can't edit your own posts either. A true junk forum. :realmad:

11 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

You're absolutely right! We have to and we will help each other as usual. :thumbup

58 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Like I said:

ive given up older versions of windows as well because of issues like this (and how hard it is to use them now) :unsure: its been a hard battle but it looks like the battle is over and microsoft has won out now (by domination)

Edited by legacyfan

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The support for Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 has already been dropped for years. No new program updates! As far as I correctly understood and I asked there directly, they want to drop the definition updates (what you call pattern updates) for this version. :realmad: Look in "my" thread there whatever my thread means in that forum! I think my thread is more their thread:realmad:

True there haven't been any actual program updates for 3.5.x for many years now, but Malwarebytes support would still help you if you had problems with it.
I suspect it's that which will now end, if it hasn't already.
That's a different issue to the ending of pattern updates for the program.
:)

43 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

ive given up older versions of windows as well because of issues like this (and how hard it is to use them now) :unsure: it been a hard battle bit  it looks like microsoft has won out now

My Windows XP machine works perfectly. There is nothing to give up. If Malwarebytes stops providing definition updates for their version 3.5.1.2522, I have enough other options which of course are not comparable to those in Windows 7 and up. But my options are sufficient for the foreseeable future. :P And I will share the knowledge about these options here, of course.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

25 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

True there haven't been any actual program updates for 3.5.x for many years now, but Malwarebytes support would still help you if you had problems with it.
I suspect it's that which will now end, if it hasn't already.
That's a different issue to the ending of pattern updates for the program.
:)

My question on Malwarebytes' forum:

To speak plainly now, is there already a date when Malwarebytes Premium 3.5.1.2522 will not receive definition updates anymore?

AdvancedSetup's direct reply:

As for when 3.51 will end support - I don't have the exact date but it is expected soon.

Maybe, this Root Admin is not able to answer a question accordingly and correctly. It is possible he always gives the same reply "support of version 3.5.1 will end soon". Whatever support he is referring to. I can't really assess his skills. Seems to me more of a robot. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

51 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

My Windows XP machine works perfectly. There is nothing to give up. If Malwarebytes stops providing definition updates for their version 3.5.1.2522, I have enough other options which of course are not comparable to those in Windows 7 and up. But my options are sufficient for the foreseeable future. :P And I will share the knowledge about these options here, of course.

ya I should of not been so down when I said that (it not good to be sad!) and legacy windows is not dead!

8 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

ya I should of not been so down when I said that (it not good to be sad!) and legacy windows is not dead!

It's alright, i've seen most people saying "legacy windows is dead" a lot of times (not just in MSFN, in other forums too), but at last, nothing happens, because it's people's choice to use whatever OS they want.

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Reading all this, it seems that Malwarebytes will indeed stop supporting Windows XP and Vista very soon, unfortunately. :angry:
Read these sources:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/295844-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current/#comment-1558895

This Malwarebytes “crisis” appears to have been precipitated by ONE user who reported not getting any updates!? The screenshot he posted wasn’t even from a Vista or XP system because “Ransomware protection” (which never supported XP or Vista) was shown as “On” rather than greyed out! (Another possibility: He attempted to activate that feature on Vista with a registry hack, rendering MB 3.5.1 incapable of updating.) Perhaps you should post to tell that user that 3.5.1 is working fine on XP and Vista, and that newer versions are available for Windows 7? Imacri would rather point out errors in the removal of XP/Vista documentation from their forum it seems.

7 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

This Malwarebytes “crisis” appears to have been precipitated by ONE user who reported not getting any updates!? The screenshot he posted wasn’t even from a Vista or XP system because “Ransomware protection” (which never supported XP or Vista) was shown as “On” rather than greyed out! (Another possibility: He attempted to activate that feature on Vista with a registry hack, rendering MB 3.5.1 incapable of updating.) Perhaps you should post to tell that user that 3.5.1 is working fine on XP and Vista, and that newer versions are available for Windows 7? Imacri would rather point out errors in the removal of XP/Vista documentation from their forum it seems.

You're right! Now that you've pointed it out, I see it too. Ransomware protection is activated, and this is actually not possible natively under Windows XP and Vista. Good watch out! upp.gif

16 hours ago, mina7601 said:

@AstroSkipper I am so sorry for your loss, though.

Thanks! But which loss do you mean? There is personally no serious loss. If Malwarebytes really stops rolling out fresh definition updates, the current state will be good enough for a while. Of course, no new definition updates would be a great pity and another setback for all users on Windows XP and Vista:angry: But my license is also valid for the most recent 4.5.25 or upcoming versions, i.e. versions targeting Windows 7 or 10. It's a lifetime license, whatever lifetime means, of course especially according to the recent experiences made.  :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

14 hours ago, mina7601 said:

On another side, in my Vista SP2 VM, definitions have been updated to 1.0.29434.

FYI, the definition updates are usually distributed several times a day. Therefore, the version changes continously. The last time I checked, two hours ago, it was 1.0.29440.

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

FYI, the definition updates are usually distributed several times a day. Therefore, the version changes continously. The last time I checked, two hours ago, it was 1.0.29440.

Yep, I noticed that, too.