Discussion about IPS 4 forum software

xper

7 hours ago, NoelC said:

I'm not seeing anything like a paintbrush. 

It was in the version before this one. You could click a paintbrush and choose from 8 or so colors to retheme the site. I remember that red was more like pink, and that I used black and green for awhile.

3 hours ago, CamTron said:

I don't really remember that well. You were able to change the main color of the UI elements to orange, black, green, or whatever.

I'm glad to see that the text is black again! :thumbup

It is dark gray now, to be exact: http://leaverou.github.io/contrast-ratio/#%232e2e2e-on-rgb%28253%2C253%2C253

The contrast ratio is much better than before so thank you @xper

8 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

It was in the version before this one. You could click a paintbrush and choose from 8 or so colors to retheme the site. I remember that red was more like pink, and that I used black and green for awhile.

It is back :-)

3 hours ago, xper said:

Regarding the paintbrush tool specifics...  I feel a bit like I'm at a car dealership with my wife...  I'm looking to learn about the size of the brakes, the power of the engine, the wear lifetime of the tires, but she decides the important thing is whether the color is Blueberry or Sky.

Does choosing the color of a few dividers change the color of the text at all?  I'm not seeing it.  Not that it's bad -  it's actually quite readable now, so if you did something to improve that, thanks.

-Noel

6 hours ago, xper said:

Secondary color choice changes url (a tag) item colors. For example, if you pick your secondary to be marble, any link will just appear to be underlined text, because this changes link/url/a to be the same color as the regular text color. Otherwise its good. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler
On 2016년 5월 11일 수요일 at 11:25 PM, tomasz86 said:

Even right now while writing a post in another thread ENTER just suddenly stopped working completely. Crtl+V is not working also. I am really wondering if those responsible for the IPB software have even tested it in Firefox.

On 2016년 5월 13일 금요일 at 5:24 PM, xper said:

I'm afraid it's out of my hands.

On 2016년 5월 14일 토요일 at 0:52 AM, tomasz86 said:

I hope the IPB will fix these errors in future versions of their forum software as at the moment it is simply impossible to use Firefox to write posts! :thumbdown

Right now I am using a Chromium based browser specifically for MSFN.

I just want to say that recently I have been using both Firefox and Palemoon to write / edit posts and everything seems to be working fine so far!

Hm. I might be blind, but I miss some button to read full status update (panel on the right of forum main site). Going thru user profile -> status update doesn't seem to be convenient way...

There is a way but it takes you off the index. Below the status update text ( or truncated if too long) is a timestamp. If you click that then it will take you to the full status update on the user's profile page.

submix8c
Way past Beer:30...
Saturday at 6:33 PM · 0 replies <--- click the date/time part

If you click that timestamp it will take you to the user profile showing the full status update. There doesn't seem to be a way to expand the update on the index part and remain on the forum index.

• 2 months later...

Nothing here since June, so once again we have reached stasis...  Owing to the hard work xper (and others?) have put in, the site is more or less usable, though there are still quirks.

We have this level of performance, where the insertion point cursor sometimes fails to show, or more of the page is whitespace than is needed, or quoted quotes don't show, or [insert your pet peeve here] - and we've learned to work around them more or less...  It is the New Normal.

Is anything actually better than it was before?

-Noel

If we have reached stasis, then that means it's time for the Forum Software Gods to start messing with things again...

Some things are better, some are worse. For example, we don't have nested quotes, so if you quote me to comment on something I said and then I quote you to comment on your comment, the context is lost and we have to start scrolling up and down the page to get the full idea of what's going on. Also, there seem to be fewer fonts to pick from, and AFAIK there's no guide (as there used to be) listing the various kinds of [] and [/] toggles that one can use.

OTOH, the Like button helps to cut down on the number of short posts since we no longer feel compelled to type "+1" when we liked something that a member said but have nothing to add to it.

I'm not crazy about the blip notifications that pop up in black at the bottom of the screen when you have MSFN showing and someone posts in a subscribed thread. Clicking on them before they (quickly) disappear doesn't seem to do anything. I can see how that could be of some value in a fast-moving Twitter conversation, but not in a slow-motion discussion of the kind that normally takes place on MSFN.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Well, the point is, to go through the moves and seem to be updating the IP.S (S for "service", not B for "board" anymore), they not only deprecate perfectly useful features, but also add others fully useless, until it actually reaches crapheap perfection. :unsure:

MS is doing likewise with Win 10, you know...

5 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Some things are better, some are worse. For example, we don't have nested quotes, so if you quote me to comment on something I said and then I quote you to comment on your comment, the context is lost and we have to start scrolling up and down the page to get the full idea of what's going on.

I also find this quite annoying as quoting only one post often makes no sense without the previous replies. You can still insert the older ones manually but it is quite troublesome and takes much more time than just quoting everything at once.

5 hours ago, JorgeA said:

I'm not crazy about the blip notifications that pop up in black at the bottom of the screen when you have MSFN showing and someone posts in a subscribed thread. Clicking on them before they (quickly) disappear doesn't seem to do anything. I can see how that could be of some value in a fast-moving Twitter conversation, but not in a slow-motion discussion of the kind that normally takes place on MSFN.

I wonder whether that notification was really supposed to be black :dubbio:. At the moment it is kind of useless as you are unable to read the text in there...

I have also experienced problems in Palemoon when writing posts and hitting the ENTER key to insert a new line. It is very difficult to go to the next line without a line break.

Edited by tomasz86