Discussion about IPS 4 forum software

xper

12 hours ago, submix8c said:

Still God-awful at 800x600 and I refuse to go 1024x768. May as well tell Win9x users using 15" VGA to go skip rope.

The forum will kick into responsive/tablet mode if the width falls below 979 pixels.
There are no plans to reduce this value any further, since it's defined by IPS.
There is nothing I can do about it. Sorry about that.

On 23/03/2016 at 4:16 PM, kaljukass said:

..../discover/?&view=condensed

• condensed view don't work
  • edit this dream don't work

Condensed view will be fixed tomorrow. Would be nice to edit "dreams" :-)

Tonight I submitted a post to a thread.

Hours later, I went back into the thread to submit a new post on a subject that was different but still related to the thread  (no one else had posted in-between), and the new post got "merged" into the older post.

Is this behavior intended? It doesn't make sense to fuse together posts about separate issues, moreover it makes for confusing reading ("What does one thing have to do with the other?!?") and if you want to reply to only one of the merged topics, it makes more work for you as you have to delete the unrelated stuff from the Quote.

--JorgeA

14 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

Is this behavior intended?

Yes, it is intended. If a member makes a post or comment, and then makes another post or comment on the same topic within the specified timeframe before any other user, the posts will be merged. 
Timeframe now is 3 hours.

15 hours ago, xper said:

Condensed view will be fixed tomorrow. Would be nice to edit "dreams" :-)

Condensed and expanded view fixed. 

7 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Hours later, I went back into the thread to submit a new post on a subject that was different but still related to the thread  (no one else had posted in-between), and the new post got "merged" into the older post.

Is this behavior intended? It doesn't make sense to fuse together posts about separate issues, moreover it makes for confusing reading ("What does one thing have to do with the other?!?") and if you want to reply to only one of the merged topics, it makes more work for you as you have to delete the unrelated stuff from the Quote.

--JorgeA

You should be editing your previous post should you need to post in a thread again, where you are the last poster, within 24 hours. We have a rule about this and bumping threads.

On 3/29/2016 at 2:25 AM, JorgeA said:

Auto-merge has been disabled again. There is a bug with it that causes some thing to not go where they are supposed to go.

Just another rant (things I've noticed and that bug me):

- Yes, this is shift+enter. IPS wants to invent new use of the ENTER key, forbidding me to use it as I see fit. That's dictatorship. I know it was discussed before.

- If the editor (which I'm writing into now) loses focus (left click somewhere else), I can't easily get the cursor again. If there is nothing written, it's impossible (except with right click, but then I need to press ESC to cancel the browser's context menu); If there is something written, two clicks are needed.

- "Load more content" when there is no more content. Apart from being illogical, that's also very "NuMicrosoft" - nothing is certain, we can change whatever whenever we want, you're not in control of anything and don't deserve to know the full picture. Also, it saves them work (they don't always need to process everything, many people will give up). But...

- Sometimes it blocks (server hiccup?) and keeps waiting forever. Inventing a problem where there wasn't one. Because...

- It's dynamic. Any moment something might change. After the forum "upgrade" I've found I miss many more things with my mouse, because everything has jumped, and I rarely can see what was the reason for that. IMHO, nothing in the forum should be dynamic, we don't need real-time notifications, nothing is that important.

Another shift+enter. Bye.

GL

Just now, GrofLuigi said:

IMHO, nothing in the forum should be dynamic, we don't need real-time notifications, nothing is that important.

You must be joking, it's like saying that Twitter is useless (apart its possible use for corrupting in no time a MS bot), but - to be fair - it can also be used to have it loop in despair:
http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/30/microsofts-tay-ai-makes-brief-return/

and stiil to be fair, it is symmetrical, as the bot was pretty much a nuisance for some 217,000 youths:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/microsoft-tay-ai-returns-boast-smoking-weed-front-police-spam-200k-followers-1552164

jaclaz

58 minutes ago, GrofLuigi said:

"Load more content"

Load More Content on Custom Stream either doesn't work OR is showing the button when there is no content. That is one thing I hadn't considered. I reported this already but when I use it, it just makes the entire page unavilable and puts a busy animation on the screen. It never completes!

Also if you were to make a quote, then want to post before it, you must post below it and then drag the quote below what you typed.

Ahhh!!! DRAG the quote! Thx, Trip! Wish I'd have known that sooner. The quote "appears" to be a Picture/Snapshot-type dealio (a/l to my nonsense-icle sensibilities). This new forum thingie is soooo different than WYSIWIG of the previous version.

Seriously, there needs to be a basic Instruction Manual / Help for "How-To's", or does it already exist and I missed it? :unsure:

I only found out about being able to drag the quote when I hovered the mouse over it. And the crosshair thing showed up in the corner, which reminded me of similar type thing in Word if you add a picture to a document. If there is a how-to guide, I don't know where it is, I think we are all just figuring it out together. ;)

Just visiting to catch up on the latest about Windows 10, and here I find that this forum's software has been destroyed—both visually and functionally.  What a mess!  It was bad before, but now it's almost unusable.  Whatever happened to having a usable subscriptions center?  Just like with Windows 10, what I'm trying to figure out is why do people spend considerable time and money to make things worse?

The latest forum "upgrade" pretty much made me leave. Not only does it look really ugly and confusing (really, do you have to change the colours and layout every single time?), it's also slow as hell. I see absolutely no reason why a simple forum should not load pages almost immediatelly. Opening anything takes anywhere between two and three seconds.

5 hours ago, Techie007 said:

Just visiting to catch up on the latest about Windows 10, and here I find that this forum's software has been destroyed—both visually and functionally.  What a mess!  It was bad before, but now it's almost unusable.  Whatever happened to having a usable subscriptions center?  Just like with Windows 10, what I'm trying to figure out is why do people spend considerable time and money to make things worse?

And, just to make you a little bit sadder :w00t: you seemingly missed that the forum, as you see it now, is NOT what the IPB guys delivered, but rather what xper :thumbup - after countless hours of tweaking and adapting and setting and what not - managed to put together, and is working MUCH better than "standard", and mitigating whenever possible a large number of much worse/crazier changes and fixing a number of issues.

Do a quick tour here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/66-programming-c-delphi-vbvbs-cmdbatch-etc/

you will see how most (all?) CODE or CODEBOX tags enclosed snippets have been "merged" into one-liners.

Now, if this was the first time something like this happened it would be just one among the 601 bugs, little problem being that at each major new version of the board the CODE or CODEBOX contents (or both) have been botched, one way or the other, and this particular kind of corruption cannot seemingly be fixed programmatically, as simply CR or LF or CR+LF characters vanished.

So, not only they made things worse, they forced xper to waste a lot of time to fix things, AND damaged content (possibly in an unrecoverable way). 

jaclaz