Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


WinClient5270

Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Added ShareX to "Screenshot Software" section

On Τετάρτη, 2 Μάρτιος 2016 at 3:31 AM, WinClient5270 said:

ShareX (FREE, OS, UNS, ONGOfficially supports Windows 7 or later; unofficially works on Vista, meaning that compatibility with Vista could break at any time

... that any time has sadly come :no: :( I haven't tested newly released v12.1.0, though; pity that in 12.1.0 they chose to upgrade to .NET Framework 4.6.2, when the last installable on Vista is 4.6.1 ! -_-:angry:

 

Edited by VistaLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... that any time has sadly come :no: :( I haven't tested newly released v12.1.0, though; pity that in 12.1.0 they chose to upgrade to .NETFramework 4.6.2, when the last installable on Vista is 4.6.1 ! -_-:angry:

 

Aww man, that's a shame... thanks for the information, VistaLover.

ShareX 12.0.0 is now added to the list as the final version for Vista.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I haven't tested newly released v12.1.0, though

I downloaded and tried to run the portable version of ShareX 12.1.0 (GitHub repo link); d-clicking on the executable (ShareX.exe) , I am greeted by a pop-up that informs of a failure to start, because .NET Framework 4.6.2 is required, then asks to download and install that version (4.6.2):

jBQd6lQ.jpg

We all know 4.6.2 won't install on Vista :angry:, so I declined the offer... It does appear, then, as though it's Game Over on Vista... :realmad:

However, I just had a struck of genius! :thumbup : I noticed the "ShareX.exe.config" file standing besides the .exe and decided to open it with a text editor (I use PSPad, but any other would be OK), there I found line 4:

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.2" />

I edited the .NETFw version string to 4.6.1 (since this is my installed version ;) ),

<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1" />

saved the change made, exited the editor and then attempted to run ShareX.exe anew: Lo and behold:

TwpnXGY.jpg

As you can see, Update Check (from GitHub, via its new TLS 1.2 API) is working as it should :yes: !

It looks like .NET Framework 4.6.1 (properly updated, BTW) doesn't differ much from its successor 4.6.2 (that won't install in NT6.0), at least to the point of functions needed by the ShareX 12.1.x app to run... :)

As I'm not a regular user of the app, I can't confirm it behaves/functions perfectly in every aspect, but be my guest and test it for yourselves ( @WinClient5270 , perhaps you could oblige, if more familiar? ) ... ;)

All I can think of for now is this is just a small victory for my favourite OS, Windows Vista! :cool:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I downloaded and tried to run the portable version of ShareX 12.1.0 (GitHub repo link); d-clicking on the executable (ShareX.exe) , I am greeted by a pop-up that informs of a failure to start, because .NET Framework 4.6.2 is required, then asks to download and install that version (4.6.2):

jBQd6lQ.jpg

We all know 4.6.2 won't install on Vista :angry:, so I declined the offer... It does appear, then, as though it's Game Over on Vista... :realmad:

However, I just had a struck of genius! :thumbup : I noticed the "ShareX.exe.config" file standing besides the .exe and decided to open it with a text editor (I use PSPad, but any other would be OK), there I found line 4:


<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.2" />

I edited the .NETFw version string to 4.6.1 (since this is my installed version ;) ),


<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1" />

saved the change made, exited the editor and then attempted to run ShareX.exe anew: Lo and behold:

TwpnXGY.jpg

As you can see, Update Check (from GitHub, via its new TLS 1.2 API) is working as it should :yes: !

It looks like .NET Framework 4.6.1 (properly updated, BTW) doesn't differ much from its successor 4.6.2 (that won't install in NT6.0), at least to the point of functions needed by the ShareX 12.1.x app to run... :)

As I'm not a regular user of the app, I can't confirm it behaves/functions perfectly in every aspect, but be my guest and test it for yourselves ( @WinClient5270 , perhaps you could oblige, if more familiar? ) ... ;)

All I can think of for now is this is just a small victory for my favourite OS, Windows Vista! :cool:

Great job, VistaLover! Like you, I don't use the software myself but I'm glad to see the ridiculous restrictions overcome. It's also nice to see that the application doesn't require any Win7+ exclusive functions... makes you wonder why they made Windows 7 and .NET 4.6.2 a requirement when the software runs perfectly fine with 4.6.1 on Vista SP2... 

Anyway, I'll re-add ShareX as an ONG option for Vista users, and I'll link your post next to the entry. Let's hope this works for at least a while, but it could be rendered useless with any given update. When that occurs, I will list the final version in which this modification works.

Edited by WinClient5270

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used the full installer for 12.1.0 on Vista, and was able to run the software quite easily using your steps. However, using the installer requires you to do things a bit differently. Here's how I did it:

First, simply download the installer and run it. However, the installer will attempt to install .NET Framework 4.6.2. This is normal. When the installer for .NET Framework 4.6.2 begins, an error will appear:

n7lPfF7yTjevW1EL-Fa0uA.png

When this appears, simply click 'Ignore' and ShareX will continue installing as normal. Once the software is installed, follow @VistaLover's steps to modify the ShareX.exe.config file. This file should be located in:

Program Files\ShareX\ShareX.exe.config

After modifying it, the program should run just fine in Windows Vista. However, I noticed on their website that this is a pre-release version, so the final version of 12.1.0 may require additional functions from Windows 7+ which would render it incompatible with Vista. OS blocks may also be implemented in the installer and/or software itself, which would have to be overcome using tools like Blackwingcat's PEMAKER (32 bit only).

But for now... :thumbup

BLsjFNXNRced_U3AfCOBMA.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

the final version of 12.1.0 may require additional functions from Windows 7+ which would render it incompatible with Vista. OS blocks may also be implemented in the installer and/or software itself

... For Pete's sake, please don't give the devs of ShareX such bad ideas :no::whistle::P (only joking, of course... ).

 I am a fan of portable applications myself, that's why I opted to go for the portable package - one additional advantage of such packages is you simply do away with a proper installer (mach, NSIS, Inno Setup, msi etc) and the OS checks/blocks they might contain, especially in the case of software not meant "officially" for your chosen OS ;)

3 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

This file should be located in:

Program Files\ShareX\ShareX.exe.config

So, is that a ShareX 64-bit installation made by the installer? I know you have a 64-bit Vista OS, if the app was 32-bit only, I'd expect it to end up in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ShareX" ?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VistaLover said:

So, is that a ShareX 64-bit installation made by the installer? I know you have a 64-bit Vista OS, if the app was 32-bit only, I'd expect it to end up in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ShareX" ?

Yes, this is the 64-bit version of the software so it's located in Program Files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Out of curiosity, I decided to download the latest version of OpenMPT (audio/music editing/creation software) to see if it would work in Windows Vista. Upon downloading the software, I opened the installer and was given these options:

mz7kXaf0Q9OCLmG48wfabg.png

Obviously, one would normally choose "XP/Vista" if they were using these operating systems, but again, out of curiosity I decided to select the Windows 7 version and, lo and behold:

Re7ZYzAKQoaG_LYKqSaZDw.png

However, I am greeted with this error message every time I open the program, but I can simply click "No" and the software stays open and works as normal, despite the claim that the software "will exit now":

7UAbeAjvSxKjnGRO-biSqA.png

After testing the software (albeit not extensively), I found no problems using the Windows 7 targeted version on Windows Vista with SP2, Platform Update, and Platform Update Supplement. After testing the 7 version, I uninstalled it and installed the version meant for XP & Vista, and found no discernible difference from the Windows 7 version, other than the fact that the OS nag error no longer appears when starting the program.

Considering I don't use the software myself and only tested it out of curiosity, there may be advantages to the Windows 7 version over the XP/Vista version that I don't know about, however some features may not work on Vista due to missing APIs. For this reason, I will add OpenMPT to the list and inform users that the Windows 7 version appears to work just fine, although the nag when starting the program may get annoying after a while...

Edited by WinClient5270
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR MARCH 21-22, 2018:

  • Added UNS tag to and updated information about ShareX: the software now requires Windows 7 or later, but continues to unofficially work on Vista (with modification). Vista compatibility could cease with any given update. 
  • Added OpenMPT to "Audio & Music Creation/Editing Tools" section.
  • Updated information about Dropbox on Windows Vista: the software must now be downloaded from FileHippo, as the vendor's site only allows you to download the software if you're running Windows 7 or later. Just to clarify, the workaround that I discovered back in January still works (as of writing this). 
  • Increased all section headers to font size 16 for easier reading. 
  • Re-arranged sections (again) to what I believe to be the most to least relevant (this is the last rearrangement for a while - I promise! ;))
  • Removed ONG tag from Microsoft Silverlight entry; added Microsoft Silverlight 5.1.50907.0 as the last version for Vista in "Additional Microsoft software/utilities" section. The software has more than likely been discontinued by Microsoft, as it has not received any updates since June 2017.
Edited by WinClient5270

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WinClient5270 said:

Updated information about Dropbox on Windows Vista: the software must now be downloaded from FileHippo, as the vendor's site only allows you to download the software if you're running Windows 7 or later

:realmad: Those dimwits ! :angry: They're just performing browser user-agent sniffin' and block you based on the NT 6.0 part of that string; here's my attempt at https://www.dropbox.com/install with roytam1's Basilisk v55.0.0 (2018-03-17) (32-bit) browser; the sent UA string is 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.0 Firefox/53.0 Basilisk/55.0.0 

and the outcome of my attempt is shown below :angry:

xgpCcNg.jpg

However, if I create a new string pref in Basilisk55 (or Pale Moon - FirefoxESR 52 does not support per-domain UA overrides, you need extensions to do this there...) like that:

general.useragent.override.dropbox.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

then the "vendor's site" is quite happy to serve me the stub-installer:

Y4a0yoM.jpg

and then

OHlql2c.jpg

Then the question arises, will the stub-installer work as intended? I have no current need for dropbox :no:, so didn't proceed with the installation...

Edited by VistaLover
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

:realmad: Those dimwits ! :angry: They're just performing browser user-agent sniffin' and block you based on the NT 6.0 part of that string; here's my attempt at https://www.dropbox.com/install with roytam1's Basilisk v55.0.0 (2018-03-17) (32-bit) browser; the sent UA string is 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/4.0 Firefox/53.0 Basilisk/55.0.0 

and the outcome of my attempt is shown below :angry:

xgpCcNg.jpg

However, if I create a new string pref in Basilisk55 (or Pale Moon - FirefoxESR 52 does not support per-domain UA overrides, you need extensions to do this there...) like that:


general.useragent.override.dropbox.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

then the "vendor's site" is quite happy to serve me the stub-installer:

Y4a0yoM.jpg

and then

OHlql2c.jpg

Then the question arises, will the stub-installer work as intended? I have no current need for dropbox :no:, so didn't proceed with the installation...

Nice findings, VistaLover. I figured it was simply a UA string detection that prevented the installer from being delivered to Vista users. They are 'dimwits' indeed -_-

I've yet to test the stub installer on Vista, but the latest offline installer offered by FileHippo works just fine on Windows Vista :) 

Like you, I don't use Dropbox but since it's a pretty popular piece of software, there's bound to be a few Vista users that want/need to use it so it's nice to keep this stuff documented. I also find it funny how the software refuses to connect to the Dropbox service on XP and Vista, but once you run it in compatibility mode for Windows NT 4.0 SP5 (or, as @burd reports, Windows 2000 works too), it connects just fine since they didn't bother to block OSes older than Windows XP... Forced obsolescence at its finest -_- (although they didn't do a very good job at 'forcing' it if you ask me LOL)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

Nice findings, VistaLover. I figured it was simply a UA string detection that prevented the installer from being delivered to Vista users. They are 'dimwits' indeed -_-

I've yet to test the stub installer on Vista, but the latest offline installer offered by FileHippo works just fine on Windows Vista :) 

Like you, I don't use Dropbox but since it's a pretty popular piece of software, there's bound to be a few Vista users that want/need to use it so it's nice to keep this stuff documented. I also find it funny how the software refuses to connect to the Dropbox service on XP and Vista, but once you run it in compatibility mode for Windows NT 4.0 SP5 (or, as @burd reports, Windows 2000 works too), it connects just fine since they didn't bother to block OSes older than Windows XP... Forced obsolescence at its finest -_- (although they didn't do a very good job at 'forcing' it if you ask me LOL)

im not even using compatibility mode :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well @VistaLover, another victory for Windows Vista :thumbup

I've been searching for more programs to add to the list and ran into Krita (which is an alternative to GIMP and Photoshop). However, upon viewing their website, I was disappointed to see that the software claims to only support Windows 7 or later. Despite this claim and me being me, I decided to download the software anyway, and again, lo and behold:

SmDhXBvQSmGeqtEMiQE_Kw.png

However, while getting the software running in Vista is quite simple, it's not as simple as downloading the installer and running it as that will not work. To run the software in Vista, follow these steps:

1. After downloading the installer, extract it with the file extraction tool of your choice (I used 7zip) - you should get a folder that looks like this:

FAs-asy2QJe0WxaEv1SqfQ.png

2. After opening the folder navigate to 'bin' and scroll down to and open 'krita.exe', and the software should then open and run, for the most part, just fine. The only issue I have is that Aero glass automatically turns itself off when launching the application, for some reason. As for the software itself, from what brief testing I've done with it, I find no problems running the software on Windows Vista **with SP2, Platform Update, and Platform Update Supplement*** other than the mysterious Aero issue, but that's just a minor issue and doesn't affect the functionality of the software from what I can tell.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well since quite a few programs have been dropping support for Vista lately, why not add a bunch that continue to support it? ;)

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR MARCH 23, 2018:

  • Added MPlayer and SMPlayer to "Content Consumption software" section.
  • Added Krita to "Photo & Video Editing software" section.
  • Added Greenshot to "Screenshot software" section.
  • Added LMMS to "Audio & Music Creation/Editing Tools" section.
  • Added FreeCAD and LibreCAD to "2D/3D Modeling software" section.
  • Added AnyDesk, TightVNC, and UltraVNC to "Remote Access" section.
  • Added Bandizip, PeaZip, and Zipware to "File Management" section.
  • Added Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 as last version for Vista to "Speech Recognition software" section.
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Found a few more programs that continue to support Vista :) (will probably add more before the day ends)

SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR MARCH 25, 2018:

  • Added Pidgin to "Instant Messaging/Internet Communication software" section.
  • Added PDF-XChange Viewer Free Edition and PDF-XChange Viewer Pro to "PDF Viewers" section.
  • Added MyPaint and Pinta to "Photo & Video Editing software" section.
  • Added Abelton Live 9.1.10 as last version for Vista to "Audio & Music Creation/Editing tools" section.
  • Added Ocenaudio to "Audio & Music Creation/Editing tools" section.
Edited by WinClient5270
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×