Instructions: Google Chrome End of Support Vista/XP

sdfox7

4 hours ago, 5eraph said:

In answer to my own question, the SuppressUnsupportedOSWarning was added for Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112, which I did not have installed at that moment.  Changing the policy setting can't be done from within the browser.  Nor could I do it with registry settings, despite online instructions given to do just that.

It was necessary to download the ZIP file of policy templates from chromium.org.  This being my first time playing with system policies, I found the experience a bit confusing at first.  The relevant template needed is "windows\adm\en-US\chrome.adm" in the ZIP file.  To add it in XP, run "gpedit.msc" in a Run box, then right-click "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates" and select "Add/Remove templates..."  Press the Add button and navigate to the "chrome.adm" file given above.

Once added, expand the new "Google\Google Chrome" template then scroll down to find, "Suppress the unsupported OS warning."  It may be necessary to click the top of the Settings column to arrange everything in alphabetical order.  Double-click the setting, click Enable, then OK.

Once Google Chrome has been restarted, the warning should no longer appear.

Thanks for doing that! I didn't realize it was such a convoluted process. In other words, it's much faster to use the --disable-infobars to disable the notification. While some people may want to leave infobars enabled, I have no use for them.

image003.jpg

20 hours ago, dencorso said:

Supported platforms: Adobe Primetime is available on Windows Vista/7/8/10
for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Firefox.
Mac OS X, Linux and Windows XP are currently not supported.
So, I cannot avoid asking: are you sure it works for XP? :dubbio:

Hello dencorso :)
Please accept my apologies :rolleyes: I wrote from memory, thus I failed miserably...
Plus, my XP (SP2) box has been decommissioned since last November, so was not 
practical for me to test there, only tested on Vista SP2 without the PUS.
So Fx 45.0.1 is definitely not working! But here are the full details:

I used to frequent the mozillazine forums and it was there I became aware of the
following bugzilla bug #1234099 ;
it was this bug (and its title: Unhide Adobe GMP on Windows XP)
I had in my mind when I posted here with regards to your issue...
Sadly, I had not checked that bug's recent activity; it was "uplifted" to version 46,
which brings us in turn to Bugzilla bug #1250766 ; comment 6 writes:

This patch enables playback of MP4 videos for Windows XP users using the Adobe Gecko Media Plugin. We had this in 45, but had to turn it off due to bugs in the Adobe GMP. Those have been fixed, so we should get this uplifted so that WinXP users can finally get MP4 playback.

... and comment 12 writes:

I tried some h264/AAC samples using Firefox 46 beta 8 and latest Developer Edition 47.0a2 and videos played as expected, also h.264 and MSE & H.264 are 'checked' in youtube/html5. Testing was done on Windows XP 64-bit and Windows Vista 32-bit.

Today is/was a Sunday, so had some more spare time at hand; I decided to bring my XP SP2 x86 box
out of storage and try myself - I installed first Firefox 46.0b9 portable and then Firefox Developer Edition
(DevEd for brevity) 47.0a2[20160410] portable (both in PAF format, with separate profiles).
In both Firefox versions, there is a "Primetime CDM provided by Adobe Systems Incorporated 17" entry in
about:addons -> plugins, also in the profile folder exists a "gmp-eme-adobe" directory with "eme-adobe.dll".
about:config has "media.gmp-eme-adobe.enabled;true". But about:preferences#content does not show a
"Playback DRM content" section!

I tried to play back some local MP4 files, first in Fx 46.0b9 and then in DevEd 47.0a2.
In both cases, playback failed, in contrast to what is stated inside #1250766.

In the case of DevEd 47.0a2, browser suffers a silent crash: 
Firefox 47.0a2 Crash Report [@ mozilla::gmp::GMPChild::ProcessingError ]
everytime I try a new MP4/M4A file.
Perhaps my failure stems from the fact I'm still on SP2 (32bit), but I did not care to debug this further...

You don't stand to lose anything if you yourself try versions DevEd 47.0a2_x86 or even Nightly 48.0a1_x86
(you can use the portables without affecting your normal Fx install) - perhaps in your case, with SP3(/4)
installed, you may have better results. Comment 12 only mentions a test on XP (SP2) x64, so 32bit XP is
not explicitly covered in that comment...

Since you are very keen on having this working (playback of h264/aac in MP4 in Firefox on XP),
perhaps you should join referenced Bugzilla bug and share your findings there...
It appears the Mozilla Devs want this as much as you...

Anyhow, again sorry for the initial false info, I do hope you soon get this sorted !

Many regards

@5eraph
I tried your instructions here just out of interest, and the necessary option isn't listed in the Group Policy template for me.

There are loads of options, but not "Suppress the unsupported OS warning". It isn't there at all. Any idea why?

I'm using Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112.

:dubbio:

@Dave-H

You are late. You should download template file before Chrome 50 release for this group policy to appear (that is the tamplate should be downloaded from April 6 and before April 13). :rolleyes:

Edited by Bersaglio

On 4/10/2016 at 1:43 PM, 5eraph said:

It was necessary to download the ZIP file of policy templates from chromium.org.

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I suppose there isn't an archived copy anywhere of the last Chromium 49 version?

Since the templates are basically text files and Chromium is open source, I believe it should be acceptable to post them here.  Mods, if I'm wrong then please edit this post or let me know so I can rectify the situation.  :)

Download:
     Link:  policy_templates.zip
     Size:  7.94 MB
     MD5:  f7d1ff58d6db0edd9f74f1815d19883c

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Oh dear, so I missed the boat!
:no:
I suppose there isn't an archived copy anywhere of the last Chromium 49 version?
:)

The archived Chromium versions are officially stored here, however, they are not stored in any form of common rhyme or reason. It took me quite a while when I finally found the last SSE-compatible version of Chromium 34 here.

You can get the archived versions more easily here: https://chocolatey.org/packages/chromium

Specifically, 49.0.2598.0 is here. Chromium continuous build is no longer updated.

Thanks @sdfox7, but my message wasn't worded very well.
It was only the policy templates file I was after, not Chromium as a whole!
Incidentally your link to 49.0.2598.0 seems to just prompt the download of a 3.3 kb .nupkg file.
Just out of interest, what exactly do you do with that?

:crazy: Googling for the "older" MSI, I found this comment (re v50).
"Support of WinXP ended, OK. But Google for work, MSI Installer DO NOT CHECK target OS and deploy Chrome v50 to Windows XP."
What does anybody make of that? :unsure:

And using sdfox7's link to Google for v49 gives v50. Use his "archive" link instead.

Edited by submix8c

On 4/15/2016 at 0:51 AM, sdfox7 said:

Chrome 50 has officially dropped today, so it is probably safe to assume that Chrome 49.0.2623.112 m is the final version for XP and Vista users.
I downloaded the offline installer from https://dl.google.com/update2/installers/ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe and archived it on my FTP at http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/chrome/ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe.

Do not try to use the Google link because it will serve you the current version which is no longer compatible.
I am just demonstrating that is was [once] available as a standalone installer at that link.

Chrome 49.0.2623.112 m was digitally signed on April 5. Personally, I would switch to Firefox, Opera, Pale Moon or another supported browser.

5 hours ago, submix8c said:

And using sdfox7's link to Google for v49 gives v50. Use his "archive" link instead.

Sure. Then again, he did warn people to use his "archive" link instead... :angel

17 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks @sdfox7, but my message wasn't worded very well.
It was only the policy templates file I was after, not Chromium as a whole!
Incidentally your link to 49.0.2598.0 seems to just prompt the download of a 3.3 kb .nupkg file.
Just out of interest, what exactly do you do with that?

It is a Chocolatey "link", actually a Nuget package.

As a matter of fact it is simply a .zip file (you can open it with - say - 7-zip) containing a number of "metadata" to point *somewhere* else (hopefully a repository with the actual file).

Namely, that .nupkg (among a number of completely unneeded *metadata* or whoatever* at the end of the day provides two URL's:

$url = 'https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/Win/366297/mini_installer.exe'
$url64bit = 'https://storage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/Win_x64/366297/mini_installer.exe'

Chocolatey is an attempt to have on Windows something similar to apt-get in Linux, i.e. it is a sort of "package manager" or "automagic update":
https://chocolatey.org/

It is a nice tool, though I hate the whole idea of "package managers" and of "automagic updates", as I see it and in a nutshell the good programmers guys were not capable to make a simple, direct, not convoluted, way (the "normal" way, working since the dawn of time, which is a single .zip or sf exe with a distinctive name placed on - say - a FTP was evidently too d@mn simple and they really HAD to make it stupidly complex) to download and install programs.

jaclaz

Thanks as always jaclaz!
Yes, I found the links in the chocolateyInstall.ps1 file in the \chromium.49.0.2598.0\tools folder after I unpacked the .nupkg file with WinRar.
As you say, what a performance just to get a couple of links!
:lol: