Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 3:03 AM, cc333 said:

So, that means, in non-smart-aleck terms, that it is a good thing?

I'm a bit confused, but okay. You have almost 500 of them, and you haven't been banned, so I guess they're good!

c

EDIT: Just gave you a reputation!

p.s. Thank you for bearing with me here, as I'm new to this "reputation" feature (which, I surmise, is akin to the "Like" button which exists in Facebook and such).

Thanks very much!! :thumbup You're getting the hang of it.

For a couple of years, before the forum software was updated, people started commenting on posts sometimes by typing "+1" and nothing else. Took me a while to catch on that this was a borrowing from the Like function in social media.

--JorgeA

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 3:43 PM, jaclaz said:

... meanwhile in Redmond ...

A very well worded backtracking ...

https://blogs.windows.com/business/2016/08/11/updates-to-silicon-support-policy-for-windows/

Notwithstanding the great success ...

... we are developing "plan B" ...

jaclaz

That's the best Windows-related news I've heard in months. :thumbup Thanks for sharing it.

Well, MSFT does seem to listen to at least some customers.

--JorgeA

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 7:47 AM, TELVM said:

One highlight:

The researchers reportedly informed Microsoft of their findings between March and April this year. The Redmond giant originally declined to fix the issue, at which point the duo started an analysis and compiling proof-of-concept (PoC) evidence.

--JorgeA

14 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Well, MSFT does seem to listen to at least some customers.

Naah, it is just a coincidence.

14 hours ago, JorgeA said:

Paul's website now features a paywall <_< but the first paragraph is enough to get the idea across:

Nice joke. He should give me US$42/year (at a discounted price) to have me read his misinformation and absurdities (though witnessing his several 180 degrees turns lately has been actually entertaining). :whistle:

jaclaz

In my quest to find what technical improvements Bob 10 has, I found out it has: RemoteFX support for RDP in client OS too (Bob 10, not Server 2016). And the RemoteFX vGPU can be used in Client Hyper-V VM guests on Bob 10.

Edited by xpclient

23 minutes ago, xpclient said:

In my quest to find what technical improvements Bob 10 has, I found out it has: RemoteFX support for RDP in client OS too (Bob 10, not Server 2016). And the RemoteFX vGPU can be used in Client Hyper-V VM guests on Bob 10.

Very handy and practical/useful, I always fire up a couple VM's and RDP on a handful of remote servers before breakfast, as I presume a large part of Windows 10 users do ;).

jaclaz

7 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Nice joke. He should give me US$42/year (at a discounted price) to have me read his misinformation and absurdities (though witnessing his several 180 degrees turns lately has been actually entertaining). :whistle:

:lol:

--JorgeA

North American businesses reluctant to adopt Windows 10

A year on from the release of Windows 10 most businesses are still reluctant to adopt the OS, according to research by solutions and managed services company Softchoice.

Based on an evaluation of more than 400,000 Windows-based computing devices between January and May this year, across 169 organizations in the US and Canada using the TechCheck asset management solution, the study reveals less than one percent were running Windows 10.

It finds the vast majority of North American businesses adopted Windows 7 as the corporate platform-of-choice since moving away from Windows XP, and have yet to move in significant quantities to newer versions Windows 8 or 10.

--JorgeA

Personalization Settings Set Back to Default in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

According to a Microsoft spokesman, Uttam Yadav, in the company’s web-based forums, it’s possible those users were simply affected by a “bug” that reset certain personalization features back to their original defaults. Here’s what might have been changed…

Golly gee whiz, it must be purely by coincidence  :angel  that these so-called "bugs" that keep cropping up, just happen to set Windows the way Microsoft -- and not the user -- wants it.

How about giving us a "bug" that brings back Aero Glass by mistake, or that unintentionally turns off all telemetry and monitoring?

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

4 hours ago, xpclient said:

Gee, just in time to NOT have Aero Glass.

-Noel

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/microsoft-shortens-recovery-rollback-period-10-days-windows-10-anniversary-update

"Based on our user research, we noticed most users who choose to go back to a previous version of Windows do it within the first several days. As such, we changed the setting to 10 days to free storage space used by previous copies."

Its hard to agree or dis-agree on this one... yes it could free space.. but then again a simple button to 'clear previous editions' might have had the same effect- and allowed for choice.

I love how it now goes without saying that it's okay for Microsoft to delete our files after a time, and that they're just trying to adjust the time so that we're not burdened with all those extra files for too terribly long.

-Noel

Everyone that I have helped restore their computers to a previous OS they have asked me to do it well after the forced :ph34r:I mean optional upgrade has been on the system for more than 30 days. So I would suggest more time be added I got lucky on most machines the OEM restore partition was still in tact and I was able to create restoration media for each machine.

14 hours ago, ralcool said:

"Based on our user research, we noticed most users who choose to go back to a previous version of Windows do it within the first several days. As such, we changed the setting to 10 days to free storage space used by previous copies."

Translation: "Shut the doors quickly, before the cattle realize they've been corralled!!! ..."