Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

18 minutes ago, TELVM said:

Translation: "Shut the doors quickly, before the cattle realize they've been corralled!!! ..."

Followed by full screen note: "Thank you for joining us, the exit gate is now closed. Welcome to your future as a target for advertising and a source for data."

Welcome to your future as EXCLUSIVELY a target for advertising and a source for data.

We can't let users be distracted for even a moment from pressing [Buy Now] buttons by concentrating on work and such, now can we?

Microsoft has a severe case of Cranial Rectalitis combined with Businicus Shortsightum.

-Noel

How to lock down Windows 10 Anniversary Update’s privacy settings

Not much that we didn't already know in the main article, but the comments section has a number of hard-hitting observations:

I absolutely HATE how they're forcing web searches on you now. Without web searches, local searches were INSTANT. Now not only is the search much slower, and not only do I get 5+ other things at the top I care nothing about, when trying to look for a local file, but when you lack Internet connection, it doesn't search for ANYTHING. How stupid is that?

Anniversary Update is what convinced me to give up Windows 10 and move back to Windows 8. Nadella continues to make terrible after terrible decisions for Windows 10. All he cares about is the bottomline, not the users.

All the how-to's up there make me think about how FaceBook 'Gives the User Control'....without really giving you REAL control. Not that I expect TRUE control of my Facebook Acct. It's on Facebook's Website.

But My PC? It's on MY Desk. I PAID for it, dammit.

Instead of Windows 10 giving me a fast, efficient Machine that will help me do MY work, Windows 10 is an efficient and DEEPLY configured interface that works efficiently for Advertisers who'll buy information from Microsoft.

And STILL, folks, assume you spend ALL THAT TIME trying to lock your privacy down in ALL those disparate WIndows 10 Toggles (I won't deign to call these things CONTROLS-- They Really Aren't CONTROLS) there is no guarantee that the Next Automatic Windows Update won't just RESET them to Microsoft Defaults.

And then, one that I had not heard of before. It sounds like Microsoft has done away with the dedicated Windows Help pages:

Relatedly, have you noticed what Microsoft has done to Windows Help? It's the biggest untold story of Windows 10 in my opinion. If you click on the Help button (the question mark) in numerous Windows contexts like File Explorer it:

1. Opens a browser.
2. Goes to Bing.
3. Runs a Bing search on a hard-coded, long natural language phrase like "get help with file explorer in Windows 10" (without quotes)
4. Dumps you onto whatever the results of that search are that day

It's the most insane thing I've seen Microsoft do in decades as a Windows user. In the history of computing, no one has ever done this to their users. When you click on help, they're dumping onto a useless web search results page instead of, you know, displaying help content.

It would be bad enough if they made you go to a Microsoft website for what used to be built-in, offline help content. But they're not even doing that. They're dumping users on a web search results page and letting them fend for themselves. Most of the results are not even Microsoft websites, and they're different from one day to the next.

Predicably, scammy sites are SEOing the heck out of the hard-coded phrases. All the results use the exact phrase as their title. And some of them are malware vectors - BitDefender blocked one of the sites on the first page of the search. All this from clicking on Help in Windows....

Microsoft is a very confused company if they think this is an acceptable thing to do when people click on help. They seem to have profound conflicts of interest between building a good OS and generating traffic for Bing. At least with Apple, you know they would never do anything like this to their users. Microsoft needs to fire some people.

Finally, there is this intriguing idea for shutting Cortana down:

You can disable Cortana permanently by: Open services, locate Cortana, right click and Open file location, now (try) rename the folder where Cortana is located, when you get the message about file being in use just leave it open, go back to services and end the Cortana task and quickly click try rename again (renaming window). Problem solved for me.

--JorgeA

3 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

But My PC? It's on MY Desk. I PAID for it, dammit.

While I agree with the sentiment, and I think it's not something that should just be blithely accepted, has Joel been under a different impression for the past 3 years?  Anyone with an IQ of 67 or higher recognized that Microsoft is trying to take over and assert control over everything eons ago.

It can't be allowed.  Just avoid using Windows 10 for ANYTHING Microsoft wants you to do with it.  That WILL solve everything.

-Noel

This makes me want to stay on XP and 7 indefinitely, although I will try out 8.1 to see if I can stand it, since it has a few more years before EOS than 7 does.

By the way, I just got 20 (allegedly legitimate) product keys for XP Pro x64, so I ought to be good for awhile.

c

It's possible to make 8.1 into a worthwhile desktop-centric system.  That takes a little of the pressure off since Mainstream support doesn't end until January 9, 2018, with extended support going out to January 10, 2023.

-Noel

9 hours ago, cc333 said:

This makes me want to stay on XP and 7 indefinitely, although I will try out 8.1 to see if I can stand it, since it has a few more years before EOS than 7 does.

By the way, I just got 20 (allegedly legitimate) product keys for XP Pro x64, so I ought to be good for awhile.

c

Where did you get these and for how much? If the source is still around, I would love to get a few of them.

rn10950: I got them on eBay, and I bought them out (the seller had two sets of ten, each set of ten with its own media (so I will have two installer disks as well).

So, you can contact me via email (so as not to violate forum rules) if you want any: cc3332004(DASH)cc333(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

c

Edited by cc333

The biggest Windows news of the year: the Windows 10 update model is being ported to Windows 7 and 8.1:

Win7 and 8.1 to get cumulative updates – you no longer control your Win7 or 8.1 machine

Based on your feedback, today we’re announcing some new changes for servicing Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1. These changes also apply to Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012 R2…

Based on whose feedback, exactly? I have seen NO groundswell of people clamoring to lose the ability to decline or ignore Windows Updates that could wreak havoc on their machines. Especially in light of Microsoft's increasingly erratic performance with respect to the monthly patches, this decision is incomprehensible.

The notice, as reported by Woody, is itself confusing. In one paragraph it states that there will be a monthly rollup including both security and reliability issues, and then just three paragraphs later it says that there will "also" be a "single Security-only update." So which is it -- security+reliability, or security only? A single rollup, or two "single" rollups?

September may be the last month that my Windows 7 systems are allowed to get updates from Microsoft.

Maybe, just maybe, my Vista and XP POSReady systems will be spared this insanity.

:realmad::angry::realmad::angry::realmad:

--JorgeA

Ahh simple.

We complained the usual monthly patch Tuesday updates weren't being explained well enough.

So they've decided to roll them into renamed 'monthly roll up package', that cumulatively merges the updates in a seemingly rolling cycle.

Instead now they can generalize the explanations over a larger area. And basically demolish the ability to deny specific patches.

39 minutes ago, JorgeA said:

The biggest Windows news of the year: the Windows 10 update model is being ported to Windows 7 and 8.1:

Win7 and 8.1 to get cumulative updates – you no longer control your Win7 or 8.1 machine

Based on whose feedback, exactly? I have seen NO groundswell of people clamoring to lose the ability to decline or ignore Windows Updates that could wreak havoc on their machines. Especially in light of Microsoft's increasingly erratic performance with respect to the monthly patches, this decision is incomprehensible.

The notice, as reported by Woody, is itself confusing. In one paragraph it states that there will be a monthly rollup including both security and reliability issues, and then just three paragraphs later it says that there will "also" be a "single Security-only update." So which is it -- security+reliability, or security only? A single rollup, or two "single" rollups?

September may be the last month that my Windows 7 systems are allowed to get updates from Microsoft.

Maybe, just maybe, my Vista and XP POSReady systems will be spared this insanity.

:realmad::angry::realmad::angry::realmad:

--JorgeA

I have no idea how to respond to this without using choice words, so I'm just going to post a picture of my cat.

2RXUsKN.jpg

Just imagen your a small business owner working on your MS Access Database and as you are entering your company's private data Microsoft serves you a pop up ad related to the very thing you are entering into your database. just think about how great that will be!

20 hours ago, NoelC said:

While I agree with the sentiment, and I think it's not something that should just be blithely accepted, has Joel been under a different impression for the past 3 years?  Anyone with an IQ of 67 or higher recognized that Microsoft is trying to take over and assert control over everything eons ago.

Many people skip releases. History is repeating. The same thing when people skipped Vista and went from XP to 7 is people who skipped 8 and went from 7 to 10. What they miss are the changes in those skipped OSes. I see it from the other side, companies that want to do something with their new OS, and you have to say "oh but no, it doesn't work like that anymore" and then they ask, when did that happen? You can honestly say "years ago" in that version of Windows that they skipped.

In order to try to overcome the hype and FUD, try this:  Ask yourself, when considering whether you NEED further updates...

• Am I experiencing ongoing bugs Microsoft needs to fix?
  • Am I regularly subjected to malware attacks?
  • Do I trust Microsoft's programmers to only make my system only better, without introducing new problems?

The only way you can see how long your older Windows system will run without error is to avoid updates and the attendant reboots.

-Noel