Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

This pretty much sums up the awfulness

Is it just me are anyone else's senses OFFENDED by the icons having no perspective? 

Who imagines orthographic projection for human user interfaces would be good?

I wonder if an age demographic might be involved in this perception.  I'm an old codger; been around in the real world a long time.  Do young folks find stuff like this less bothersome?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

This pretty much sums up the awfulness

Is it just me are anyone else's senses OFFENDED by the icons having no perspective? 

Who imagines orthographic projection for human user interfaces would be good?

I wonder if an age demographic might be involved in this perception.  I'm an old codger; been around in the real world a long time.  Do young folks find stuff like this less bothersome?

-Noel

That would seem to be right in line with the whole flatness trend. It's a computer screen, why would you think anything you see there has depth?

Consistent application of that logic would mean eventually extending it to TV programs. We'll all be watching cartoons, as images of 3-D people and buildings are oh, so unreal.

--JorgeA

Beyond surreal. I can't help but keep thinking that all that is happening after Se7en has to be some kind of cosmological prank.

At this rate of Flat (encephalogram) Design I guess the icon set for W11 will be something of this sort:

YN3F7ThO.jpg

@bphlpt, how drivers works with build 10022? I have Lenovo Y50-70 and have some audio and graphic driver issues.

Sorry xper, I have no idea.  I'm happy with my Win7 system, and I haven't seen anything in Win8.x or Win10 that has enticed me to want to upgrade downgrade. :)

The image I posted above was from:

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

^^ Yeah, that hand print would be too skeuomorphic for Jonny Ive and the Metrotards.  (That's not the name of a rock band. :P  )

And speaking of that stuff, here's an interesting discussion of the subject:

Skeuomorphism Will Never Go Away, And That's a Good Thing

Only thing I disagree with is where the writer refers to "fake wood, fake leather, fake shadows" as a "gross misuse" of the concept. Personally, I generally like having applications on my PC screen (where applicable) look like what they emulate from the real world. In fact I've always considered it really neat that they do that, and I'd go so far as to say that my computing experience would be comparatively boring and ho-hum were it not for that remarkable capability. Leave those stripped-down UI's to the soul-less machines who populate the Neowin comments sections...

Hooray for fake wood!! :thumbup 

--JorgeA

Hear hear, Jorge!!  And hooray for buttons that you want to push!

For some of my first web site work I made a texture that might have been leather, or maybe the texture from the dashboard of a 1970s car, and I thought (and still think) it added a lot of class.  I think I may even still have it as the background for something...  Ah yes, an ancient personal page...

NoelsPages.png

Microsoft is now allergic to even such things as drop shadows.

It's all just an attempt to set a fashion trend with the ultimate goal of herding users.  Utter ridiculousness.  Fashion has no business influencing operating system design.

It will all change, then they will tout how they listened to users, and how their studies have shown that actual 3D things (such as you can see with their HoloGoggles) are so much better.

-Noel

Paul Thurrott celebrates the apparent revival of the desktop PC market in Windows Weekly #396:

Paul: The one thing, bringing it back to the PC thing, the thing I really am most happy about looking forward to this year and thinking about Windows especially and Microsoft in general is this kind of notion of a PC resurgence. Because ultimately the device stuff will always be interesting to me. I love Windows Phone and all that stuff, Cloud service. But the PC to me is still the heart of what this is all about. And I feel like in the Windows 8 generation we got away from that. Right before Windows came out, Microsoft believed very deeply that the future of personal computing was these devices. And that was it. And I think what they underestimated was the amount of interest and need for actual PCs, just productivity devices. These things that work really well. That are what Mary Jo just called a known quantity. I’m really happy about that. Ultimately I really just care about that stuff so much. And this is all reminding me of how we had kind of lost that for a couple years there. 

[emphasis added]

Had they asked, we could've told Microsoft that three years ago, saving a lot of grief all around, but what do we know -- we're just a bunch of ignorant peasants out in the field and they're the expert geniuses in their ivory towers.

--JorgeA

Thurrot is being a slimy worm yet again. So Windows 8 was indeed about booting off the PC? Yet Thurrot defended MS and W8 tooth and nails against the very same accusations back then. We can all remember his shill-stunts. Only after W8 pretty much failed he comes out of the closet.

This guy is a such a spineless slimeball.

^^ Yeah, that hand print would be too skeuomorphic for Jonny Ive and the Metrotards.  (That's not the name of a rock band. :P  )

And speaking of that stuff, here's an interesting discussion of the subject:

Skeuomorphism Will Never Go Away, And That's a Good Thing

Only thing I disagree with is where the writer refers to "fake wood, fake leather, fake shadows" as a "gross misuse" of the concept. Personally, I generally like having applications on my PC screen (where applicable) look like what they emulate from the real world. In fact I've always considered it really neat that they do that, and I'd go so far as to say that my computing experience would be comparatively boring and ho-hum were it not for that remarkable capability. Leave those stripped-down UI's to the soul-less machines who populate the Neowin comments sections...

Hooray for fake wood!! :thumbup 

--JorgeA

It's not the fake wood. Back when the metrotards were in full swing they proclaimed that pretty much everything besides metro was "skeumorphic".