Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Microsoft's share sounds small, but...  I wish I could sell 38.8 million copies of something.

But I agree with you, making Windows "work on anything" really embodies the "jack of all trades, master of none" figure of speech.

Is this progress?  Seems like only yesterday they were all about "the emperor's new clothes".

Perhaps what's next is "what goes around, comes around".

-Noel

In his usual irreverent and often funny way, one of my favorite tech observers weighs in on Windows 10TP:

Windows 10 Preview Build 9926 - Awesome and horrible

Some highlights:

In order to use Cortana, you must sign in with a Microsoft account. This is a wickedly clever arrangement by Microsoft. They are trying to entice you to start using an online account on your desktop. I find this not to my liking, but for the sake of this review slash experiment, I let Windows convert my local account to an online one. The process is fully reversible, as I've shown you on Windows 8.1, but you will have to use a different name for your user after the conversion, which can be a bit of a hassle.

You cannot browse your network shares easily anymore. You will get a stupid, pointless, unnecessary error message that says:

\\something is not  accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact  the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The  account is not authorized to log in from this station.

Windows 10 Preview Build 9926 brings a lot to the table. It's a pretty decent release, with many new good things and improvements, as well as some potential disasters. Most notably, the search functionality is flawed, and the approach to online use needs refinement.

Other than that, Metro slash modern applications remain inferior to their desktop counterparts, battery usage is phenomenal, the system is stable and sturdy. However, we go back to the local versus online, search functionality, system menu, and such. This is the one thing that will make or break Windows 10, and Microsoft needs to invest all its effort in nailing it right. If you ask me, a search box should feature somewhere in the menu permanently and with a static position, if and when the online search is disabled. There should also be no restrictions on third-party menu software, and the whole Bing stuff needs to be toned down a little. People won't like it on their desktop. Microsoft must do this gently, slowly, patiently. PC are not smartphones, and people will respond with fierce negativity to any attempt in making them behave as such.

--JorgeA

I had to extend my Win10TP partition in order to get it to install 9926. Finally got it installed last night, and my impressions match yours: they're making it worse, not better. :realmad:

It's because the backlash against W8 is subdueing after they announced to fix it with Windows 10.

But these metrotards at MS (like Belfiore) need a constant, never-ending backlash to keep them from metrotarding. Backlash is their needed medicine, and they need heavy dosage of it daily.

In his usual irreverent and often funny way, one of my favorite tech observers weighs in on Windows 10TP:

Some highlights:

You cannot browse your network shares easily anymore. You will get a stupid, pointless, unnecessary error message that says:

\\something is not  accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact  the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The  account is not authorized to log in from this station.

--JorgeA

For what it's worth I'm not having any problems with that.  My Win 10 test system sees network shares (e.g., accessing via \\SERVER\SHARE) just fine.  But I religiously disable HomeGroup networking in favor of username/password (workgroup) networking, which has always worked better anyway, so maybe that's why.

-Noel

... smart, intelligent, efficient users will find themselves hating and resenting Windows 10 for similar reasons they rejected Windows 8 ...

... Windows 10 will not become an upgrade option for people who have a sane way of doing this in earlier versions ...

... PC are not smartphones, and people will respond with fierce negativity to any attempt in making them behave as such ...

^ :lol: :lol: :lol: . Microshaft vs the non-retarded users, round three. Seconds out!!!

...  Classic Shell ... it won't run! Microsoft has blacklisted this program for Windows 10 ...

The tool that brings back some sanity, banned. What does this tell us about what can be expected 'beyond the threshold'?

But these metrotards at MS (like Belfiore) need a constant, never-ending backlash to keep them from metrotarding. Backlash is their needed medicine, and they need heavy dosage of it daily.

I agree completely: it's like they're addicted to this Metro booze and we need to be constantly watching them to make sure they don't fall off the wagon.

--JorgeA

It is telling about what Microsoft's thinking, but the ban doesn't have teeth.  It installs (and runs) just fine if you change the name of the installer file.

-Noel

In theory, if they wanted to they could run an MD5 hash of the Classic Shell installer and prevent a matching file from runnning, whatever its filename might be.

But that would be a REALLY brazen and hostile move on their part.

--JorgeA

Hmm -- I sure hope they intend to fill out the following category in the Settings app that's supposed to be replacing Control Panel. I went today to make a system image of Build 9926 before the next build got installed automatically, and decided to try to do it the newfangled way by using Settings instead of Control Panel.

After opening Settings and selecting "Update & Recovery," I clicked on Backup. Seeing no option there to create a system image, I clicked on "Advanced Options," and here's what I got:

post-287775-0-04434400-1423019312_thumb.

Wow, I'm impressed. :yes:

OTOH, maybe that's unintentionally indicative of the Softies' real opinion of users who want to do more than just stream Katy Perry videos and organize their selfie collection...

--JorgeA

What's wrong with you people?  Can't you get with Modern times?  Computers are not about complicated things any more.

-Noel

Oh, sorry, I didn't see the memo. I was too busy playing Candy Birds. :)

--JorgeA

when i saw that demo from january 2015 they had recently (2 and half hrs all together)

even if i shortened it to 30 mins, i died out of boredom

there was nothing interesting there and these clowns tried to convince audience that they have some supreme product

Some highlights:

but for the sake of this review slash experiment

--JorgeA

This doesn't sound right. Such a term is used in speaking, but for a written work, I believe the actual slash ( / ) should be used. :rolleyes:

My take on it has been that it's part of his shtick, like when he casually reminds the reader of his superior wisdom and knowledge. I hadn't thought he might be speaking his blog posts into a mic, but that sounds plausible.

--JorgeA