Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

:yes:

Until then, any attempt by companies to put me in the mediocrity box with their lowest common denominator fascistic mantras and Silicon Valley attitude slash ignorance that sees people as walking wallets slowly moving from one outlet to another food chain restaurant while fearing acronyms and stockpiling for the upcoming zombie apocalypse will be met with fierce resistance.

-Noel

... the future direction of operating systems and somewhat forced integration of moronity and remote computation into your everyday devices. Internet of Things (IoT) becoming Idiots of Tomorrow (IoT) ...

^ Epic.

One item stood out from this otherwise routine post:

No new Windows 10 Preview build for PC before the last week of February

Users of the PC preview can rest easy knowing that they have not been forgotten, development will continue until the release of the final build in the second half of 2015, though at this point future updates will mostly consist of bug fixes and stability tweaks rather than new features.

[emphasis added]

Does that mean that "new features" (new to Windows 10) such as a fully functional and customizable Start Menu and an option to use Aero Glass will not be added to Windows 10?

And to think that so many Microsoft apologists kept telling us to "calm down, it's only a beta" -- until it got to be too late to put in the features we demand.

--JorgeA

Fantastic observation down in the comments section for the following post:

Transparent Live tiles will soon make their way to Windows 10 for phones technical preview

Transparent tiles would basically be too similar to icons, even for the averge wp user, to keep pretending they are something new and different.

There is a graphic icon, a text, a square click area (exactly as desktop icons were made look like since Vista onwards, but option/hack was there since Win3.11), and countless underlying mechanisms to make the icon "dynamic" and "informative", as both text and graphic can be changed on the fly (with small to nil resource usage) since the very beginning of Windows - but was strongly suggested to limit it by design to notification area icons to avoid "information overload", exactly the mess that occour in Metro, and the first reason it was named the least user friendly in 2013 (Google or Bing for it).

Personally, I've always thought that Metro Tiles were little more than an ugly sister to the traditional desktop icons, and that Live Tiles were little more than refurbished and remarketed Windows Gadgets -- but with an emphasis on crudity of appearance.

Maybe someone with the proper background can expand for us on the commenter's explanation.

--JorgeA

Users of the PC preview can rest easy knowing that they have not been forgotten, development will continue until the release of the final build in the second half of 2015, though at this point future updates will mostly consist of bug fixes and stability tweaks rather than new features.

[emphasis added]

Wow, that's VERY interesting news!  I guess that means they're not likely to delete any more useful stuff...

This is good news, though to be honest I was still expecting a bunch of new gee whiz stuff.  But it makes sense - a full release requires quite a bit of lead time for testing and packaging.

If this truly is the case maybe Windows 10 won't be a bust.  I find I can use build 9926 for my work.  It also means Big Muscle's Aero Glass product will probably work with the final release.

So what is Windows 10 in light of this news?

• Metro apps in Windows (but just as useless as they were full-screen).
  • A re-implementation of the Start Menu in a form worse than all that have come before.
  • Re-implementation of some of the control panel, with attendant loss of functionality.
  • An push through useless things like Cortana to get the masses to sign up for cloud integration.

Positives:

• Classic Shell still works.
  • Aero Glass can be made to work.
  • Old applications that were iffy under Windows 8.1 seem to work better (I tested Office 2003, for example).

-Noel

Seems an appropriate acronym to me...  Count the number of letters.  App - 3, application - 11.

3/11 is about 27 percent, which pretty much describes their degree of usefulness vs. a real application.

UselessCalculatorApp.png

APP - "Almost Passably Pretty"

Application - What you use to develop Apps or do anything useful.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Allow me to share this, I believe many habituals to this thread will find it interesting and humorous.

After watching the world famous Chris Pirillo's Dad first testing on Windows 8 video, this aussie kid grabbed his mum and subjected her to a similar torment :P  :

As you would expect the lady was seriously traumatized, but survived the ordeal. -_-

Since then mum has tested

and

And even

:lol:  ,
and

Here her first impressions on Windows 10 Build 9841:

How many teenagers do you know that tinker with PC OS's way older than them just for the pleasure? :thumbup

I just noticed how stupid it is to call the voice recognition software "Cortana".

Far more intuitive would be if this thing would be nameless and you would call it up by saying "Hi, Windows". You're interacting with your computer, the OS is called Windows (in all forms). Everyone calls it Windows, it's well known brand name. Why would you activate the voice recognition with "Cortana"? Why is referencing to itself as "Cortana"? Who knows that s***?

It's like activating the current voice recognition software in Windows 7 by speaking "Hi Voice Recognition Software 1.0!" into the micro.

The "Siri" name kinda worked because almost no one knows the name of the iPhone OS outside of the tech sphere, the phone keeping saying "iPhone has this and that" doesn't sound that well and the product lines are called differently at Appe (Mac, iPhone, iPad) so they needed a common theme through Siri. With "Windows" though it's completely different, phonetically and branding-wise.

Calling it Cortana is Apple envy yet again. The naming doesn't make sense.

Edited by Formfiller

Add - just like it is rumoured about car names - some research should be done on what happens in other languages...

... and no, I will not post what Cortana rhymes with in Italian :w00t:, but let's say that it has some common points with a Mazda model name:

unfit for Portuguese and Spanish-speaking countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Laputa

;)

jaclaz

Far more intuitive would be if this thing would be nameless and you would call it up by saying "Hi, Windows". You're interacting with your computer, the OS is called Windows (in all forms). Everyone calls it Windows, it's well known brand name. Why would you activate the voice recognition with "Cortana"? Why is referencing to itself as "Cortana"? Who knows that s***?

As mentioned elsewhere (maybe it was this thread, I don't recall), it's all about sex.  Sex sells.  I'm surprised Microsoft's CEO isn't being raked over the coals about the WIndows assistant being the same nude-but-digitally-body-painted character as is found in their Halo game.

And let's not forget that Apple invented theirs with the name Siri.  Microsoft can't let Apple do anything without trying to do it too.  It's like one of the most important industries on the planet is being run by 11 year olds.

-Noel