Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

You don't have to expect (and even try) that it will work on any preview build unless I release a version prepared for the build. Microsoft rewrites DWM parts with every build thus internal structures change and this needs changes in my code too - and symbols will not help with this.

Thanks, I didn't know that even with symbols your current beta version would not work.

What you say Microsoft is doing under the covers is a bit disturbing (though not at all surprising).  It indicates they're continuing to chip away at their theming subsystem, which (unfortunately) in the long term will condemn users of Windows 10 to "have any color they want as long as it's white". 

I applaud your efforts to keep up with their changes - and I certainly don't want to have to use a Windows without a nice, elegant desktop - but with their published policy of releasing new Windows versions quite often in the future I can imagine how they could end up wearing you down.  I don't imagine you have 10,000 programmers on staff to counter their efforts in real time.

I can only encourage you to keep up the good work.  It is very much appreciated.

-Noel

Well, I have Aeroglass installed with the gui program, and NoelC's themeatlas (I did change the color from XP blue to a grayish black though.)  That, at least, works well, and gives the borders a more pleasant appearance.  I like the translucency with blur, but if I can't have that I will take what I do have.

I uploaded experimental debug version for the build 10130. It can be downloaded on my website.

Cool!  New version of VMware workstation (11.1.2) out today as well, so with all the new software it's really nice to see everything working again!

AGOnWin10.png

Theme atlas for the above:  http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/10074/RoundedCornersBlueActive.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Thanks bigmuscle, I was about to give up on Win10.

Working great on build 10147.

Do you have transparency on 10147?  If you did could you explain the steps you took to achieve it?

Edited by dhjohns

Dhjohns, don't forget that the Theme Atlas file I published a while back (when we first lost transparency) with "Opaque" in the name won't support transparency.  The title bar and border coloration elements are opaque.

-Noel

Dhjohns, don't forget that the Theme Atlas file I published a while back (when we first lost transparency) with "Opaque" in the name won't support transparency.  The title bar and border coloration elements are opaque.

-Noel

Hi Noel

I loaded the theme atlas file you provided in Post No. 727 above but in Build 10147 there doesn't seem to be any transparency behind the title bar.  

I also loaded the theme atlas in post #272, and couldn't achieve transparency, so I loaded the Opaque theme atlas which seems to work much better for build 10147.  I also have customized the colors so the title bar is different, and the buttons change color when I hover over them.  It isn't transparent, but it is VERY pleasing to the eye, none-the-less!

Thanks for your comment, dhjohns.  SOMETHING has to be made pleasing about Win 10.

I suppose Microsoft could have broken the ability to have translucency again.  Sigh.  Clearly they don't want us customizing Windows' look and feel, or they wouldn't be changing the DWM code so much between builds.  I really can't understand why a company would want to force everyone into one and only one usage state with their software.

It's clear what company Google was looking at when they set their corporate motto.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

@Noel,

You might want to recheck the link you provided, or am I missing something?  ( wikipedia "Don" -- don't get the Google motto connection, unless you meant some kind of godfather reference???? )

Cheers and Regards