Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

Build 10125 got leaked. Tried it out for a few. It seems pretty ok. It's a shame I don't see the change color setting anymore in Control Panel. However since I used it a lot in Build 10122, A shortcut to the original colorization is available to me. Not sure now, but I can still change my colors again.

What do you mean you can still change colors? You can change the color of window borders in 10125?

Somehow, yeah. Since I used this so much it was in my jumplists. Even after the removal of the link in the Control Panel.

Screenshot A : I pinned the "Change color of your taskbar shortcut" here.

Screenshot B : The link to "change the color of the taskbar" has been removed from here. Yet, the pinned shortcut in the above screenshot still works.

Screenshot C: Color Appearence still works, but I can't make a shortcut to the desktop by dragging "Color and Appearence" text.

Ok, I thought you can still change the colors of window borders... I already knew about the shortcut

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,Advanced,@Advanced

Ok, I thought you can still change the colors of window borders... I already knew about the shortcut

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,Advanced,@Advanced

It's only a matter of time before the shortcut is unable to function.

Did someone secretly publish a memo that says it's okay to remove N features and replace them with N / 2 features re-implemented with big fonts and flat colors?  I must have missed that.

Perhaps that's the kind of thing that a company that has everyone by the short hairs feels justified in doing.  We're supposed to be happy that they're providing us anything at all.

I sometimes fantasize:  What if everyone just refused to accept the Windows 10 upgrade - however free it seems to be - until it works as well as the operating system they currently have.

But it's just a fantasy.  Even though we live in a connected society, with unprecedented technology at our fingertips (e.g., the capability to test in a virtual machine), most people are too lazy or ignorant to realize Windows 10 is taking steps backwards, and many probably won't even notice the reduction in functionality after the upgrade.  Sigh.

-Noel

Yet it is precisely a forum for discussing an essential replacement feature (elegant Aero Glass window border re-implementation).

Remember when the software Microsoft delivered right out of the box did what we now have to hack into place with 3rd party software?

Remember when you were having trouble making the orange color you chose show up in your window borders?

-Noel

Yet it is precisely a forum for discussing an essential replacement feature (elegant Aero Glass window border re-implementation).

Remember when the software Microsoft delivered right out of the box did what we now have to hack into place with 3rd party software?

Remember when you were having trouble making the orange color you chose show up in your window borders?

-Noel

Yea, I remember when the Aero effect was standard.  That was Windows 7 which (thankfully) I haven't used in years.  I am willing to wait patiently for BigMuscle to work his magic grateful in the fact that I am using an OS that is head-and-shoulders above the rest.  IMHO!  lol

As are we all (willing to wait).

But what if Microsoft makes it impossible for him to do so, or releases so many updates that break it that he just gives up?

Please start a separate thread on why you think Win 10 is head and shoulders above the rest.  You apparently don't understand that I'm here because I'm genuinely interested in using Windows 10 and whether it can be acceptable to be the next OS for me to use at my business (I'm presently fully on Win 8.1 x64).  To date, very few people have been able to come up with any solid reasons why Win 10 is actually better than any prior versions.  Such discussion needs to be had.  And make no mistake - expect some criticism and lively debate.

If it's just a "feeling" you have, that's okay too, but realize there are people who have looked into it very seriously.

-Noel

well the only advantage is probably apps in windows, but in Win8 we have modernmix for that. 5$ well spent...

but imo win10 is even worse than win8 and I certainly did never think I'd ever say this but if this continues, I purachase a win8 for my PC (now on W7) and keep my Laptop on win8 as well

As are we all (willing to wait).

But what if Microsoft makes it impossible for him to do so, or releases so many updates that break it that he just gives up?

Please start a separate thread on why you think Win 10 is head and shoulders above the rest.  You apparently don't understand that I'm here because I'm genuinely interested in using Windows 10 and whether it can be acceptable to be the next OS for me to use at my business (I'm presently fully on Win 8.1 x64).  To date, very few people have been able to come up with any solid reasons why Win 10 is actually better than any prior versions.  Such discussion needs to be had.  And make no mistake - expect some criticism and lively debate.

If it's just a "feeling" you have, that's okay too, but realize there are people who have looked into it very seriously.

-Noel

Every time Microsoft releases a new operating system people complain how it is the worst thing in the whole world, and that everyone who works at Microsoft is an id***, and no one should ever upgrade again.  This was even said about Windows XP!  I heard it every day.  XP breaks your computer, XP does this, XP does that!  This is a never-ending litany.  Actually the only OS they ever put out that I skipped completely was Windows 95, what a POS!!!  LOL.  But, then again, I know my operating systems.  While everyone was complaining about Windows Millenium, me, and my fellow computer enthusiasts were lauding it!  It was fantastic,  XP never gave me any problems, and Vista (after its service packs) was fine.  Windows 7 is still good, but this is 2015, and we have new technology, and new ideas, and it is time to move on to bigger, and better things.  My Windows 10 is blazing fast!  On this very same computer, if I were to dual boot 7, I could go pour a cup of coffee, and take a dump while I wait for it to load up. 

I suggest that your performance information is subjective, and possibly based on a system that's been clogged up with lots of programs over time being compared with a fresh new installation.

I actually DO have a dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 system, with BOTH systems freshly set up.  That system boots up Win 7 just as fast as Win 10 - at just about the time the swirly things come together into the Windows logo it starts the desktop.  I have benchmarks and real world usage data that shows that most operations are actually slower on Windows 10 than they are on Windows 7.  Disk access of all kinds is a good bit slower on Win 10.

I'm sorry, but I'll wager I've done a LOT more scientific and controlled tests than you have.

All I said was that the new system should be at least as good as those that came before.  That's not too much to ask.

-Noel

Sure, you're right, I'm sorry.  The prevalent hype that Windows 10 is faster overall bothers me particularly.  I tend to overreact.

To be fair it IS a bit faster at several very specific operations that influence user opinions, such as hybrid bootup and 3D rendering for gaming.

-Noel