Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

The Aero Glass GUI doesn't reset everything at run time.  Try logging off then back on after making changes, so the Explorer instance running the desktop gets informed of all the changes. 

Also note that ribbon-enabled windows (e.g., Explorer, WordPad) have different rules governing title bar coloration.  It's possible to get the colors fairly well coordinated if you choose just the right colors for the Windows interface.  I think I still have some instances where the title bar text color is lacking contrast, though.  I find things work better with a dark background (e.g., I have a number of astroimages I use). 

The Aero Glass tool doesn't - possibly can't - seem to make everything perfect.  Gone are the days when YOU get to specify how things look to great detail.  Basically the problem is Windows 10 and Microsoft's moves away from proper theming.  The poor dears in Redmond probably found it too hard to follow a standard for desktop development.  I found a picture Microsoft published of one of the current Windows 10 programmers...  Ah, here it is...

WIndows10Ad.jpg

For what it's worth, to improve the readability of things and strengthen the color of partially transparent title bars I created my own Theme Atlas with some blue color baked into the elements that are composited together.

CaptionButtons.gif

A copy of this theme atlas (with corresponding .layout file), which I am using with Win 10 v1709, can be found here:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/16299/RoundedCorners.zip

-Noel

• Upvote 1

Regarding inactive caption font color, I think it's preset to dark gray. Would be nice if it could be changed. On Windows 8.1, this can be easily achieved by modifying the right properties in .mssytles file, both for active and inactive windows, so AG is not needed for that, just a custom theme.

I'm unable get any consistent results on Windows 10. The system always mixes the chosen inactive color with the gray color. And whether the chosen active caption color in .msstyles file is in effect depends on selected accent color. Unlike Windows 8.1, Windows 10 uses 2 separate colors (black or white) for active caption font, depending on the selected accent color, probably to improve readability so you get brighter font on a darker background instead of both being dark for example. So you'd have to find the way to override both default colors, not just one.

AG probably could have an option for changing inactive caption color, though you'd still be stuck with defaults for windows with their own caption font rendering.

Noel, I have tried your RoundedCorners theme but for me the minimize, maximize and close button are more square shaped I think.

At your screenshot they have a more rectangular shape and that looks much better. What can I do to make it look like yours?

They look OK when a window is maximized but when it's not maximized the buttons looks so big and less beautiful.

snap.jpg.72ab1bb43005a5fa13a6d9e034ffe241.jpg

Try reducing the title bar size, e.g., with WinAero Tweaker.

-Noel

I have tried with WinAero Tweaker and it looks a bit better now.

But I wonder one thing, why isn't the title bar size the same both for maximized windows and non-maximized windows? Why is the size smaller for maximized windows and bigger for non-maximized windows?

Is there any way to set the same size for both? I want the maximized size even for non-maximized windows.

Has it always been like this? I use Windows 10 now. I have never used Windows 8 but for years ago when I used Windows 7 I can't remember if the title bar size there was the same all the time or smaller/bigger there too depending if the window is maximized or not.

That's a limitation of Windows 10, I'm afraid.

Posted (edited)
On 2. 3. 2018 at 9:13 PM, Martin24 said:

Has it always been like this? I use Windows 10 now. I have never used Windows 8 but for years ago when I used Windows 7 I can't remember if the title bar size there was the same all the time or smaller/bigger there too depending if the window is maximized or not.

It was is smaller on Windows 7 too with Aero and Basic themes when maximized. Win10 adds the additional scaling of title bar buttons. Set border padding to zero with Winaero Tweaker for the smallest difference between the height of normal and maximized window's title bar.

Edited by UCyborg

I have set border padding to 0 and the title bar looks much better now! Thank you for the great tip and to Noel for beautiful theme atlas.

Morning folks!

I've been using Aero Glass for a while, and yesterday I was tinkering with the GUI and for a while I was able to change the titlebar color by simply changing the setting in Windows. However, it stopped doing it and I don't know what I did to make it work. Any insights?

helton.hm, you can change the title bar color in the tabs "Glass colors" and "Accent" in Aero Glass GUI.

UCyborg, I have a question for you about the caption color. You helped me with text alignment for ribbon windows here https://msfn.org/board/topic/177288-thank-you-big-muscle-for-new-aero-glass-build-157/?do=findComment&comment=1148832

I have set the caption color to white in AG GUI and that works great for standard windows but for ribbon windows the color stays black. Must something be edited in "aero 2.msstyles" to make the caption color white?

If that's the case, can you please edit the file and upload it here?

On 8. 3. 2018 at 2:52 AM, Martin24 said:

UCyborg, I have a question for you about the caption color. You helped me with text alignment for ribbon windows here https://msfn.org/board/topic/177288-thank-you-big-muscle-for-new-aero-glass-build-157/?do=findComment&comment=1148832

I have set the caption color to white in AG GUI and that works great for standard windows but for ribbon windows the color stays black. Must something be edited in "aero 2.msstyles" to make the caption color white?

If that's the case, can you please edit the file and upload it here?

The same setting that worked in previous Windows versions is ineffective on Win10. Another setting also affects some other parts and doesn't make a difference when you try to make caption text white.

I can only suggest a workaround. Try different accent colors in Settings app->Personalization->Colors until you find the one that has the side effect of making caption text white. The exact issue is that Win10 uses 2 colors for caption text, black or white, depending on current accent color. White can be replaced, but I haven't found a way to override the black.

I chose a brown accent color RGB 188,124,27. That was the lightest value I could use to keep the caption text white. If I made the brown color lighter than that the caption text switched to black. Before I used yellow green RGB 154,205,50. If you later find a way to override black please let me know.

I also changed the border padding to 1 in WinAero Tweaker to make Noels RoundedCorners theme to look better. If the border padding is set to 0 I noticed it looks less good.

On 9. 3. 2018 at 6:41 AM, Martin24 said:

I also changed the border padding to 1 in WinAero Tweaker to make Noels RoundedCorners theme to look better. If the border padding is set to 0 I noticed it looks less good.

Good point, setting it to 0 takes the ability to change the other setting.