Intel Ethernet Connection Driver for Windows 98SE

Dave-H

for what it's worth there's e1000nt5.sys from 6/22/2004 ver. 8.0.57 that according to wdmcheck has one missing function.  If I remember correctly it was for a dual port but with an earlier chip.

@farfigs11

Thanks, but that e1000nt5.sys driver is part of the Windows driver, which doesn't work with this hardware under Windows 98.

:no:

This is a possibility that should not be quickly dismissed though. If the driver farfigs11 mentions only lacks one WDM function under 98SE, then there is a chance that it could be made to load with WDMSTUB or a more advanced approach such as rloew's WDMEX. The real question is what other dependencies might that specific file have, and is it deeply intertwined with some other part of the Windows driver package that requires NT; or, will it "just work" as a substitute for the 9x file when placed with the rest of the last driver package for 9x provided the missing function is satisfied. :unsure:

Edited by LoneCrusader

Yes. LC is right, in what regards getting drivers to work on 9x/ME. But, if the DOS driver can be used successfully, and it looks like it can and Dave-H is almost there, IMO, so I think we should pursue this avenue (viz. the DOS driver) to the end, before switching to any altenative approach, even if that one may prove better, in the end. Although, here, better will always be somewhat subjective... anything that permits avoiding the use of an add-on card is very good already, and as far as network cards/adapters go, there's plenty of them for DOS, for many cards/adapters having no win 9x/ME drivers at all. So I think harnessing the DOS drivers for use with 9x/ME may be the more general approach, at the end of the day. Then again, these are just my 2¢, of course.  :unsure:

Yes. LC is right, in what regards getting drivers to work on 9x/ME. But, if the DOS driver can be used successfully, and it looks like it can and Dave-H is almost there, IMO, so I think we should pursue this avenue (viz. the DOS driver) to the end, before switching to any altenative approach, even if that one may prove better, in the end. Although, here, better will always be somewhat subjective... anything that permits avoiding the use of an add-on card is very good already, and as far as network cards/adapters go, there's plenty of them for DOS, for many cards/adapters having no win 9x/ME drivers at all. So I think harnessing the DOS drivers for use with 9x/ME may be the more general approach, at the end of the day. Then again, these are just my 2¢, of course.  :unsure:

I didn't mean that Dave-H should deviate from the DOS avenue; this has many possibilities in and of itself that may be more extensible to a wider variety of hardware. I just didn't want to see the other avenue so quickly dismissed since it may enable the use of the Windows drivers. ;)

I didn't mean that Dave-H should deviate from the DOS avenue; this has many possibilities in and of itself that may be more extensible to a wider variety of hardware. I just didn't want to see the other avenue so quickly dismissed since it may enable the use of the Windows drivers. ;)

Of course. And what you posted is not at all generally known, so you added important info, too. :yes:

Download and take a look at this PDF.

www.trilicium.ca/Library/dos7_1.pdf
Also look at ths (find string "ndis2")

http://www.astonisher.com/archives/bugnet/analysis/reports/win98_3.html

Looking in my VPC Registry I see those Real Mode Drivers specified as shown in the REG stuff found in the PDF.

Be aware that you will be running Real Mode Networking (16-bit DOS NDIS2 Driver). Your specs will be in the PROTOCOL.INI for Speed, Duplex, etc, unless there are Defaults, which is why I said to read over the DOCS in the previous post links. Trust me, it won't work even in a DOS Boot Floppy unless everything needed is there.

I kind of wonder if using the "MT" Driver (see the v10.3 E1000 drivers I gave the link to) may work? :unsure:

HTH

Thanks again guys!

I looked at the PDF, and the one line that stuck out was -

"Note that that Win98 DOS only supports NETBEUI and IPX/SPX protocols in real mode.
Adding TCP/IP protocol support requires more work and files that don't come with Windows 98."

I've looked around a lot more to see if I can find those "files that don't come with Windows 98", but almost all I've found relates to getting online with DOS Ethernet card drivers in DOS, not in Windows.

If Sfor is using his computer in Windows 98 and getting online using a DOS driver, I would dearly like to know how!

:)

What can I say. It simply works.

Not in the DOS, of course. Somehow GUI network components are able to use the DOS drivers. But for it to work correctly there has to be a link established between the Windows components and DOS drivers (I believe NDIS.VXD does it). In my case the bindings made with GUI were transfered correctly to the protocol.ini. The example I provided was made by Windows GUI network setup functions.

Long ago, when I was still playing with 10Mbit ISA network adapters, all of them had Windows 95 dedicated driver sets with both 16 and 32bit drivers in them. It was possible to select the version to be used. With 16bit drivers I was possible to skip loading GUI and use NetBeui protocol for networking in DOS. But since the PCI came in, all the driver packages were provided with just 32bit versions.

No, it does not. There is just the NDIS network adapter. When the DOS driver is not present, the according NDIS network adapter entry has a ! mark on it.

I found the Windows 98 boots quicker without the network adapters. So, I made a DOS boot menu with option to boot faster without the network. If the net start is not run in autoexec.bat, the windows starts quicker, but network does not work.

Adding TCP/IP protocol support requires more work and files that don't come with Windows 98."

dubbio.gif   A DOS-based Packet-Driver perhaps? Like Russell Nelson's freeware NE2000.COM, which used to come in a package called: "pktdrv11.zip" (I must have a copy of it somewhaere...) ?

While looking for information on this issue I stumbled into an obscure mention on Intel's site regarding packet drivers. Could this be the missing link or am I far out...? :huh:

What about "porting back" the info that the good FreeDOS guys have put together? :unsure:

http://www.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networking_FreeDOS_-_NDIS_driver_installation

I would also look here:

http://toogam.com/software/archive/drivers/network/network.htm

maybe (just maybe) the Windows for Workgroup thingy helps in configuring/fixing...

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

No, it does not. There is just the NDIS network adapter. When the DOS driver is not present, the according NDIS network adapter entry has a ! mark on it.

I found the Windows 98 boots quicker without the network adapters. So, I made a DOS boot menu with option to boot faster without the network. If the net start is not run in autoexec.bat, the windows starts quicker, but network does not work.

Even that does not appear in mine.

The only adapters listed are the active PCI card one, the Dial-Up Adapter, and some Microsoft TV adapter that I'm pretty sure was installed years ago by some Media Centre I installed.

While looking for information on this issue I stumbled into an obscure mention on Intel's site regarding packet drivers. Could this be the missing link or am I far out...? :huh:

That link isn't loading here.

It just says "sending request to www.crynwr.com" but never goes any further.

dubbio.gif   A DOS-based Packet-Driver perhaps? Like Russell Nelson's freeware NE2000.COM, which used to come in a package called: "pktdrv11.zip" (I must have a copy of it somewhaere...) ?

Sounds interesting!

What about "porting back" the info that the good FreeDOS guys have put together? :unsure:

http://www.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Networking_FreeDOS_-_NDIS_driver_installation

I would also look here:

http://toogam.com/software/archive/drivers/network/network.htm

maybe (just maybe) the Windows for Workgroup thingy helps in configuring/fixing...

jaclaz

Well I had already found about the "Wolverine" project that MS used years ago to provide networking for WFWG.

I downloaded it but I'm not sure what to do with the files.

I'm a bit wary of just installing it in case it over-writes files I still need for my present adapter to work!

That link isn't loading here.

It just says "sending request to www.crynwr.com" but never goes any further.

I had that page before my very eyes yesterday. It's impossible for it to simply vanish from one day to another! Maybe it was through Wayback Machine.

Try this one through wayback machine: link , it worked a minute ago. Make sure you have temporarily disabled any redirect cleaner addon/extension in your browser.

(small typo)

Edited by Drugwash