There's another new Technical Preview build available

NoelC

Ahh, Thanks for that, plus the difference a day makes.

Symbols have downloaded, Classic Shell is re-installed. Everything feels normal again.

So there is merit to opt into the slow release fork apparently

Cheers.

Yep, my test setup feels reasonable again as well.  I now find myself hoping that Microsoft doesn't make Windows 10 worse in ways that make it ultimately impossible to do this.

My impression is that you'll just hear about fewer releases on the "Slow" path, not the same ones later.

-Noel

Goes to show, they're stuffing around with the Atlas and the general themes and appearances, instead of innovating a new product.

It would be far better off if MS worked on stability, compatibility and work flow.

A simple TV tuner is now broken.

I have to use VMware to run a licensed 32bit XP, just to run a single 16bit program (MSViewer) -since any 64bit edition of Windows just can't do 16bit... too f'ing hard apparently.

Funny how I am not game to either look for or watch any .. um adult material since I feel that Windows is actually like that one way glass we all know about.

I know they are watching everything I type or search, and a referral letter to the FBI is only a false move away for sure these days.

DRM is hardcore.

Not sure this operating system is on my side anymore. Still fails to load thumbnails reliably, or chokes on heavily loaded content folders.

Strange pauses and 'not responding' messages from any version at least a few times a day. (Did I click something.. sorry for interrupting) jeez

Didn't they preview Cairo or something in Jurassic Park?, that was the future.... :P

Rename the installer to CS.exe and run it, and it goes in just fine.

This is something I've run into when combating viruses. Some viruses will use the exclusion list to block antivirus applications from running or installing. The simple ones, at least, do this by adding a path and/or filename of the program into the registry. Sometimes these entries are protected and can only be seen using advanced or third-party registry editors/viewers. Funny enough, renaming the .exe allows the application to run.

If you've ever used gmer, you'll notice if you download it, it downloads as a randomly generated filename. This behaviour started once viruses using the block list became more numerous.

http://www.gmer.net/

I was surprised such decisions are based solely on the name of the installer executable.  In this day and age of signatures, etc., stuff like that really seems like something of substance that Microsoft ought to be working to improve if they're truly concerned about security - instead of just futzing around incessantly with the desktop theme.

Not that I would want a more thorough block of the Classic Shell installer - please don't get me wrong...  While it's clear Microsoft's keen to get people to test their new Start Menu implementation, It was just plain nasty of them to add Classic Shell to the database of "incompatible" programs. 

Seems like they should be dinged publicly for stuff like this, but even the designer of Classic Shell (Ivo Beltchev) said on his forum that there are one or two things that aren't fully compatible between the released Classic Shell and the new Windows 10, so who can complain too loudly?

And so we have a security hole in Microsoft's software to work around Microsoft's attempt to block software they don't like. 

At Microsoft someone's forgotten who's supposed to be doing things to benefit whom.

-Noel

I was surprised such decisions are based solely on the name of the installer executable.  In this day and age of signatures, etc., stuff like that really seems like something of substance that Microsoft ought to be working to improve if they're truly concerned about security - instead of just futzing around incessantly with the desktop theme.

Well it is one example. The one based on filename was around since at least XP and maybe even older. If you run a ProcMon session and then execute something, you can see where Windows checks the registry to see if the program is allowed to run or not. Its interesting as I've NEVER seen Windows reject an application based on those entries, except for when they are utilized by a virus.

AppLocker (available in Ultimate and Enterprise SKUs since XP) has the ability to filter/block applications based on the more advanced methods you are thinking about.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee424357%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Is anyone having issues with printing?

I have a printer attached to the router and for some reason every time I go to print something I get an error with a message saying that the RPC Server is unavailable.

If I right click on the printer and select troubleshoot the troubleshooter starts the Spooler service and fixes the issue, the printer prints.

However even during printing the spooler can turn off again and a part printed page comes out.

I didn't notice this happening previously due to no printing activity so I have no idea if its specific to this build or whether it's a deliberate act to prevent the OS being used as a main PC.

Ideas…

Yzöwl, something very much like what you described started happening to me about 6 months ago for a time with Windows 8.1 and an HP Envy printer (connected wirelessly), but it magically cleared itself up the next month.  I attributed it to a Windows Update.

For what it's worth spoolsv.exe is always running here on my Win 10 Enterprise x64 TP setup.  I haven't done much printing, but what I have done to this printer has worked.  I haven't had to start the Spooler service manually as you have.

-Noel

Kind of a shame there won't be another one soon, since there are problems with it...  

For one thing, GDI resources leak like mad if a progress indicator is put up on the Taskbar and updated.  For another, there are many operations that cause the This PC icon to be duplicated into many copies across the desktop.

That this may be the last Technical Preview could also say that the feature set (what feature set?) is nearly complete, and that borderless windows may be here to stay.  That is disturbing.

-Noel

Or...  it may also mean they've realized at long last such a mess has no fixing, gave it up, and are starting it all again from scratch, just to see whether they can get it right, this time over... (one can dream, cannot one?)... :angel

Don't you usually have to start with a Good Idea when starting over from scratch, though?

Microsoft doesn't really get to do Windows 1.0, 2.0, etc. over again.

Serious computer applications are complex....  Because they have to be to be serious!

-Noel