There's another new Technical Preview build available

NoelC

While they don't manage to get any Good Idea, they might as well stop the nonsense and deliver a brand-new SP2 for 7, bringing it up to date driverwise, and push its EoS far away, for good measure. Since they gave up on XP, 7 is, hands down, the only decent starting point they're left with.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else had the issue of changes between Power Plans not being permanent? I.E On my test laptop I can switch from "Balanced" to "High Performance" but in 15mins time it reverts back to "Balanced".

For the time being I just changed the settings in "Balanced" to the same as "High Performance". Incidentally changing the name of the power plan does not solve the issue.

Cheers, Ben.     

Haven't seen this myself, but of course all our experiences are still very limited with Win 10.

Do you have any other "system management" software starting and running on your system?  Something from the manufacturer maybe?

Have you looked through the Autoruns listing to see what things are starting in the background?  Usually people discover a surprising number of things they don't need.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

-Noel

Try this 'High Performance'  option script..

~DP

@echo off:: Set Power Plan to High Perfromance%Windir%\System32\powercfg.exe /setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635cexit /b:: Balanced::%Windir%\System32\powercfg.exe /setactive 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e:: Power Saver::%Windir%\System32\powercfg.exe /setactive a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

Has anyone else had the issue of changes between Power Plans not being permanent? I.E On my test laptop I can switch from "Balanced" to "High Performance" but in 15mins time it reverts back to "Balanced".

For the time being I just changed the settings in "Balanced" to the same as "High Performance". Incidentally changing the name of the power plan does not solve the issue.

Cheers, Ben.     

Haven't seen this myself, but of course all our experiences are still very limited with Win 10.

Do you have any other "system management" software starting and running on your system?  Something from the manufacturer maybe?

Have you looked through the Autoruns listing to see what things are starting in the background?  Usually people discover a surprising number of things they don't need.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

-Noel

Noel: The only 3rd party startup application was for the graphics card. Amd ATI Catalyst Control Centre, which I disabled but it made no difference.

I basically installed chrome, mphc and that was it realy. Other then that its a blank install. 

Try this 'High Performance'  option script..

~DP

@echo off:: Set Power Plan to High Perfromance%Windir%\System32\powercfg.exe /setactive 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635cexit /b:: Balanced::%Windir%\System32\powercfg.exe /setactive 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e:: Power Saver::%Windir%\System32\powercfg.exe /setactive a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

Cheers, Ben.     

DosProbie: Thats script works fine but it goes back to it's usual behaviour once I reboot.

Edit: Got it working properly. I renamed all the default power plans. Created three new ones and named them "Power Saver", "Balanced" and "High performance". I then Deleted the original renamed power plans and ran the above script. The settings now stick even after a reboot. 

Cheers, Ben.     

Hmmm. :unsure:

I just got this e-mail ;)

Dear user,

this is Microsoft performance team writing to you.

We have determined that your usage of the PC does not require High Performance as you only use this wonderful new operating system of ours to run a crappy third party browser on the internet [1], you should really use Internet Explorer, instead.

We have determined that the performance level suitable to your use of this PC is "Balanced" and we applied it.

Until you will make some better use of your PC and of our new wonderful OS, we will keep that Power Plan on your PC, it is much better for you, we know what is better for you.

Sincerely,

The Microsoft Windows 10 Performance team

[1] and yes we know you use that browser to search mainly for lolcats and free p0rn, we also know that you are using Google as a search engine and this is a very bad thing, try using Bing instead and we may decide to review this Power Plan policy on your machine, allowing you to set it as "High Performance".

:lol:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz