POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

glnz

The last hurrah for .NET 4.0 I guess.
:(
I've now manually checked Microsoft Update, and the new updates are being offered to me now, so I guess the presence of the WEPOS key doesn't matter.

Still no yellow shield in the system tray, I'll see if it appears tomorrow.
:)

Edited by Dave-H

3 hours ago, sdfox7 said:

It appears to me that POSReady 2009, still supported, improved upon WEPOS. Is it really a loss?

What are the differences between Windows Embedded Point of Service (WEPOS) and POSReady 2009?

Well... I don't think so. But, for the record, KB3148198 should be the last Cumulative Security Update for IE7 ever, which means: "RIP IE7".

I doubt there will be a mass outpouring of grief!
:lol:

Just as an off-topic aside, out of interest, what is Microsoft's current offering for new systems that would have used WEPOS/POSReady?
Is there some sort of Windows 10 based offering to replace them?

Thanks Den, I could have found that myself of course if I wasn't so lazy! :blushing:
I assume a Windows 10 based version will appear eventually.

Back on topic, my yellow shield has appeared this morning, so it looks as if it's all working fine still with no further registry modifications needed.
Rather amazed that the KB3135993 .NET 4.0 update is one of those offered, it's been a very long time since a .NET update was actually offered to me through Windows Update and didn't have to be installed manually!

Edited by Dave-H

Worth mentioning would be in relation to the .NET Framework 4 update KB3135993, the update KB3099866 from 12/07/2015, loud WSUS replaced.
(Although KB3099866 for .NET Framework 4 was not offered at WU or MU!)

Edited by heinoganda

@Dave-H

It is correct in the future KB3099866 is no longer needed. Secondly, I wanted to expressing the KB3099866 it was manually install in hindsight correct because the WSUS catalog at KB3135993 this is listed as no longer needed. So MS has confirmed the KB3099866 for .NET Framework 4, which was officially listed for Windows Vista, also was for Windows XP!

Edited by heinoganda

Hey - is everyone happy with yesterday's XP updates?  No over-dramatized celluloid death scenes badly acted by your PC thinking it's Paris Hilton in House of Wax? 

Also, is the .NET 4 update in MU the same as Bersaglio's at ►this post◄   ?

Thanks. 

KB3135993 produced an install loop on one of my machines, though no problem on several others.  I mean the yellow shield popped up, I installed it, and the shield immediately returned.  Over and over.

I downloaded the update manually and tried that, but the same loop occurred.  Meanwhile, the update would not uninstall through Device Manager.  I finally used Add / Remove Windows components to remove, then put back, .net framework 4 (needed the original OS disc for that), which solved the problem, I guess.

Even when removed, the .net framework 4 component still showed in the registry; once I put it back, KB3135993 no longer shows in Add / Remove Programs.  Microsoft update shows no updates available now.

So the problem is solved, except for the questions raised.

The OS here is XP Pro and OnePiece update pack.

All the offered updates installed fine here on both my XP machines.
The yellow shield does often come back after subsequent restarts in my experience, showing some but not all updates as still needing to be installed.
This month it's the IE8 update KB3148198 and one of the Office 2007 Suite updates KB3114542.
This often seems to happen, but if I just hold my nerve the shield always eventually stops appearing after a couple of days!

All done, but again Avast AV Free interfered.  I had to suspend it to finish these three:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3148198)

Windows XP Embedded Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3135993)

Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2016 (KB890830)

Hope a bad guy didn't sneak in while the door was open.