Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


glnz

POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, someguy25 said:

The thing is that win2.JPG.0ffeff0c8ee74718c02d12762b968e4b.JPG is still here even though im with the latest updates:}

If the files "qedit.dll" and "quartz.dll" in the folder "%windir%\system32" do not have the file version 6.5.2600.7218, KB4014652 should be installed!

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, heinoganda said:

If the files "qedit.dll" and "quartz.dll" in the folder "%windir%\system32" do not have the file version 6.5.2600.7218, KB4014652 should be installed!

 

Those files dont say version 6.5.2600.7218

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dencorso said:

So get and install KB4014652, already! :D

Not risking.I dont want to screw my install :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, someguy25 said:

Not risking.I dont want to screw my install :P

You definitely need to invest in an image backup solution so you can revert your system when making a change that doesn't pan out.   I would certainly recommend investing in a copy of Acronis Backup & Recovery software which will also provide a "try and decide" option to test unknown software or changes to your system.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok so i tested kb4014652 on my windows mce 2005 unpatched vm and the network tray icon is still working! :) That means im good to go :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 6:09 PM, heinoganda said:

Update to enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 as secure protocols in WinHTTP.
Info KB4467770
Download KB4467770

OK; so, I installed the update and added the registry key & DWORD value specified on the info page. But IE8 already used TLS 1.1 & 1.2 before the update. So what software uses WinHttp.dll? OE6? Windows Live Mail perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

So what software uses WinHttp.dll? OE6? Windows Live Mail perhaps?

I found the following information about WinHTTP:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/winhttp/about-winhttp

https://securelink.be/blog/windows-proxy-settings-explained/

https://www.telerik.com/blogs/using-fiddler-with-winhttp

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the second link:

Quote

Typical examples for applications and services using WinHTTP are:

  1. Adding/Removing features and roles in Windows 8.
  2. Windows Update
  3. Certificate validation of code
  4. Signed binaries / .NET applications that validate the certificate during application launch.

Obviously 1 doesn't apply, but the others could be used by Windows XP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand, WinHTTP is used by Applications directly (without the functionality of IE and his API).

8 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Obviously 1 doesn't apply, but the others could be used by Windows XP.

Often the kb articles are not fully transfered from the basicly descibed OS versions to PosReady, so it can be that 1 also works in XP.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 6:09 PM, heinoganda said:

Update to enable TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 as secure protocols in WinHTTP.
Info KB4467770
Download KB4467770

Please do notice the direct link given points to the Finnish, not the English, version of the said update...  :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dencorso said:

Please do notice the direct link given points to the Finnish, not the English, version of the said update..

Direct Download Link changed for Update in English (ENU)! Unfortunately I had overlooked.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I installed the update and added the registry key & DWORD value specified on the info page.

To add the needed registry modification, I give here the code for a reg file for activating WinHTTP TLS1.1 AND 1.2 (as described in kb4467770 article):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp]
"DefaultSecureProtocols"=dword:00000A00

A download to use file is attached.

:)

Short technical info:

Override defaults for WINHTTP_OPTION_SECURE_PROTOCOLS to specify TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2

Add DWORD value for TLS 1.1 (0x00000200) and / or DWORD value for TLS 1.2 (0x00000800)

The resulting registry DWORD value for both would be 0x00000A00.

WinHttp DefaultSecureProtocols.reg

Edited by Thomas S.
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Thomas S. said:

To add the needed registry modification, I give here the code for a reg file for activating WinHTTP TLS1.1 AND 1.2 (as described in kb4467770 article):


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp]
"DefaultSecureProtocols"=dword:00000A00

A download to use file is attached.

:)

Short technical info:

Override defaults for WINHTTP_OPTION_SECURE_PROTOCOLS to specify TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2

Add DWORD value for TLS 1.1 (0x00000200) and / or DWORD value for TLS 1.2 (0x00000800)

The resulting registry DWORD value for both would be 0x00000A00.

WinHttp DefaultSecureProtocols.reg

I have to say Microsoft is really focusing on TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 stuff on PosReady:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I updated today certs and windows and Office. All went smoothly via Windows update. I have only TLS1.2 enabled in internet options.

Fun fact - recently I changed my monitor for XP machine, from damaged 17" ACER to used 19" Dell bought for a bargain price. Dell also can serve as a US hub. What surprised me is that Windows update actually found drivers for that and provided as optional hardware update. Drivers are dated back to 2006, which means they ain't throwing old stuff away from their servers yet :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...