bigmuscle

bigmuscle, on 31 Aug 2014 - 4:08 PM, said:

Hold the CTRL key during whole booting procedure. It is not enough to press it continuously, it must be hit exactly when DLL is loaded into DWM.exe which happens some time between the bootlogo is hidden and login screen is displayed (thus it is better to hold it all the time :-)). If it does not help, then the problem is not caused by Aero Glass. If it help, then send us minidump file and debug.log.

That did not help, must be something else.

Hi, I am using Aero Glass for 8.1 and have donated.  The program no longer works for me, and I'm assuming it was a recent windows update.

It seems to load ok, just provides no transparency:

[2014-08-31 17:01:27][0x3C4:0xC88] Aero Glass for Win8.1 v1.2.5 x64 correctly loaded (C:\AeroGlass\dwmglass.dll).

I am unsure of the best way to achieve getting support for this.

Are you on a laptop?  Do you have it plugged in or are you running it on battery?

You solved it in one.  :blushing:

Many thanks for your reply.

Is there any way to enable glass on battery?

Has anyone kept "Score" of the different issues that users are having with Aero Glass? Seems that the "Laptop-No Aero" is #1, anyway YES new users SHOULD read the Guide but that obviously is NOT Happening, Maybe Big Muscle can add to installer a Troubleshooting guide to the desktop, since new users can't seem to find the website and troubleshoot there. Or better yet just update installer to ENABLE Aero for tablets and laptop.

~DP

Edited by DosProbie

Well, the real issue with "electronic download" (as opposed to a good ol' box containing the install media and the manual) is that you cannot print on it (in large, unfriendly letters ;)) a message like RTFM!.

Personally I like "aggressive" interfaces :w00t:, even without going all the way to ;):

http://xkcd.com/293/

:ph34r:

one could add to the "nag" message a line like:

If you are on laptop/tablet, you need to configure PROPERLY the tool if you want Aeroglass to work on battery!

READ: http://www.glass8.eu/guide.html

But clearly, a registered user will input the key and never notice it.

On the other hand, if I had US$ 1 for each user that posted on the 7200.11 thread without reading the Read-me-first, nor the FGA's and the specific thread "don't even think to make a PCB swap", all stickies here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/169-hard-drive-and-removable-media-issues/

asking about PCB swap's, I wouldn't be rich, but I could have had some more beer ;), so I guess that there is no possible solution making everyone happy.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi I reported some weird bug about 2 months ago on somebody elses laptop with glass where when the laptop boots up theres a flashing error box dwm incompatible and no matter how much you click it it keeps reappearing. I had no debug log to post because my solution was to start in safe mode, uninstall and then reinstall when booted up properly again.

Its happenned on a few laptops I have installed this on now, family members and friends etc. it seems to do it after an update has been installed for windows 8.1. My laptop and computer both have donation keys because ive paid for it and it never does it on those. also on my girlfriends laptop ive disabled updates because of some other error before i even installed glass and hers is fine as well.

Any idea how to solve this? windows 8 looks so boring without glass. If a debug log is needed I should still be able to get one

Are you installing the correct version?  The programs are different for Windows 8, and Windows 8.1.  I have never had any issues with installations on anyone's computer.  Since you are new to this forum, I would suggest you start at page 1, and read through all (as of now) 84 pages.  I did this, and learned a lot.

@dhjohns yeah i know there are 2 different versions and i know about the symbols etc which sometimes cause problems.Since i have donated on both my laptop and pc symbols are automatic on other pcs and laptops i have run 2 scripts mentioned somewhere in another thread about this (aeroGlass.reg and symbols.cmd) that gets the symbols. it also did this problem before using those scripts which is the reason i used them in the first place

Im not new to the forums and have asked this before but couldnt provide a debug log since the way i got around the problem was to uninstall and then reinstall the program. Now i do have a debug log which can be posted if necessary.

Its happened on 3 computers now each running windows 8.1 and the correct version of glass. it happens after updates as i have mentioned.since these are all computers that have not donated and got the key im wondering whether mine is fine because of some automatic thing after updates due to having keys

You do not need the symbols with the current version of Aeroglass.  I am running the current versions with all of the Windows updates, and do not have a problem.  You may want to attach your debug log so someone can take a look.

Something to consider:  Something to help the IDRTFM problem may be to pop up the configuration interface automatically after installation and/or the first time the application is run.  Classic Shell does this, for example.

It would both make it plain to the user that there IS a configuration interface, and those other than complete impatient fools might actually look over the options and set them the way they need right then.  I'll bet it would reduce the chatter.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a well-written Help manual to go along with that configuration interface.  Big Muscle, I can help some with that if you'd like.  I'm fond of the Windows HTML Help Workshop and .chm files myself.

-Noel

Please, do not post PM content publicly! It could get you banned!

And the first new speciality - since now, every donator can theoretically generate almost infinite number of keys! Just one condition applies to avoid abusing this:

* The number of concurrent keys is still limited to your donation value but you can deactivate any of the keys when you need (e.g. change your hardware or something). Then you have to wait for 30 days before you can activate new machine code. I believe you will appreciate this new feature despite this small limitation.

I have deactivated two keys since I changed a lot of hardware home on 2014-08-04, but can not generate new ones, and thirty days have passed.