• Kaspersky
    • NOD32
    • Norton Antivirus (Home Version)
    • AVG
    • Avast!
    • F-Secure
    • Norman

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have read the reviews @ http://www.anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ and the 19 pages of responses here but I still don't know....

Which AV client has smallest footprint?

Which AV client uses the least amount of services?

Which AV client doesn't hinder your normal everyday PC usage?

Are any of these clients standalone apps or do all require installation and registry spammage?

I have always been a Norton fan but left after 2003 for something lighter. Switched to McAfee v8.0 which was great except it tried to hijack my security center and kept recreating the McAfee folder in the Start menu\Programs when it updated its DAT???? Always popping stuff up and requiring me to click "Continue what I was doing" to make it go away. So I switched to ClamWin which is open source which is nice on the wallet but it lacks on demand scanning. Initially I didn't care because I have never been infected in the decade I have been online but then again I have always used Norton. So now I am back on the market for a AV client and I am overhwelmed with the choices lol.

Ideally I would like a AV Client that runs in tray and does on access scanning of files. No integrated email/script/app scanning. Just sit there and scan when soemthing is access/executed. I don't even need auto update as I can do it manually. No services if possible.. low memory consumption. Any ideas?

I've changed KAV Personal due to recurrent persistent problems of databases updates, originated from KL servers. I also experienced a progressive slow down of my system, even with program's lowest settings. I've had enough :angry:

I'm very impressed of Sophos SBE now

im currently using bitdefender + firewall,, but im gonna give nod32 a try...

ive used norton 2004 but it slows down my Pc.. & its firewall dosnt allow me to use Dl managers po0r norton :P

edit**

i did a test by scanning all files in my PC..

bitdefender pro updated >> detects 1 trojan in cache folder of Firefox

mcafee internet security (updated) >> negative (i cant uninstal its security center :realmad: )

nod32 (updated) >> negative

norton (no way!)

kaspersky personal pro (updated) >> 11 viruses :o during 64% of scanning

whats the matter with all the other AV? i think il stick w/ kaspersky for now :thumbup

huh??? no Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise Edition 8.0i??

To bad you gotta try this. This is a complete AV with Spyware removal and a lot of anti exploits things. Got this 2 months ago with Mcafee desktop firewall and anti spyware. and ohh.. :w00t: what a good thing. :yes: Because it is proactive. visit mcafee.com

the firewall is too strong has 100+ heavy IDS system.

kaspesky is too paranoic. it finds a lot of things but they are not there....

i tried allmost every known av but i choose symantec av corporate. very good protection not too many resources and toll now very pleased of it.

Mcafee virusscan 8.0i enterprise ed. is very low in system resources usage therfore is not clog to your system. try it and test it with any vulnerability scan you have and you will see. it works well with mcafee anti spyware and mcafee desktop firewall.