• Kaspersky
    • NOD32
    • Norton Antivirus (Home Version)
    • AVG
    • Avast!
    • F-Secure
    • Norman

this is a joke, right?

This is not a joke. But if you want a joke, here you are!

Mr Brown: Why are you hanging all those ice-creams over on your house walls?

Mr Green: Oh! Don't you know? Ice-creams make elephants scared!

Mr Brown: But there are no elephants in this area!

Mr Green: You see! Ice-creams work like a charm!

AntiVirus software, other than Symantec's, are exactly similar to ice-creams. Yet, they haven't got REAL elephants to fight.

ENJOY!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

EDIT:

OH! I forgot to say what Mr Brown did:

Mr Brown: WWWAATTT??? crazy.gif

Edited by mazin

BUT the thing that sucks at it is the resources that consumes. Way to much..

I've convinced many, many people to switch to kaspersky (perhaps I should get some percentage off their sales... :lol: ) and none of them so far complained about that, even those on older/more modest PCs. In fact, we all find it very good compared to norton junk (yes, even their so called corporate garbage) or mcaffee. As far as I'm concerned, norton just isn't an option. Kaspersky's detection rates are the best and really that's why one runs an AV. The only reason why norton survives is, the name is known and publicized.

Looking around, you'd find lots of bad things being said about norton, from trusted sources that is.

Lag time between virus is found and definitions updated:

-kaspersky: 6h51m

-Symantec: 27h10

27h if your corporate LAN gets hit is a long time and a lot of infected PCs. It only takes one person to start it, we've all seen it several times. (plus, kaspersky's way of updating is much nicer) Nobody beats kaspersky at how often they update their signatures.

Lots of places says norton misses 1 in 4 viruses. (that was quoted from v2003 but it's not like they've gotten much better)

Performance and system reources used... let's not even go there.

Scanning inside archives, .zip only. Kaspersky would scan inside a .msi installer on a zipped iso image kinda thing. It doesn't even compare. Not that we need super in depth scanning, but norton falls really short again.

Not only for detection, when it comes to removal success ratio (whatever you want to call it), it doesn't rate best either... (you got a virii, now install kaspersky if you want to be able to remove it :lol: )

Install/uninstall of norton products is the messier I've ever seen. I'm borderline saying you'd just be better off formatting instead of uninstalling it.

And the list goes on and on and on... If there was only one program I could recommend not to install on someone's PC, it would definately be norton.

@ crahak

Yes, I've noticed the time betwen the updates and that kinda sucks. Not to mention the *features* (that we mentioned) that don't exist in any of Symantec or Norton products, or at least I'm not aware of one. :whistle: I should defrag my HDD first and then redo the KAV test. I think the *depth scanning* thing got it an minus in my test. Else, what can I say? It's nice. :) I'll *review* this and consider your ideeas. Thank you. :hello:

AntiVirus software, other than Symantec's, are exactly similar to ice-creams. Yet, they haven't got REAL elephants to fight.

I feel pity for you. No words. Go eat in McDonald's, there is no match for them from your point of view...

KAV is unbelievable SLOW!!! Just my 2 cents...

Unless you're comparing to like NOD32... Not really. I've actually found it to not make my PC slow, bloated and unresponsive unlike say, norton would. If you're talking about full system scanning times, then you have to keep in mind how much more (in depth) it scans too (scanning level is configurable too). I mean, how often do you do full scans? Once I know my system is clean once, I don't really bother anymore, as kaspersky would popup a window if it ever came across one as I'm using the files anyways. I really don't find it slow at all.

@ crahak

I've dumped the SAV and MOVED to KAV.. that's sweet! Works like a charm. I strongly belive I had an way to fragmented HDD that was causing *problems* wich are gone now. :thumbup

You should definitly get some percentage off their sales. :w00t:

Kaspersky is a world class anti-virus ! Like other people i do believe that with the exception of Mcafee no other anti-virus program is in the same class especially Norton -only marketing tricks keep people interested in.In reallity Norton,s detection rate is for sure lower than Kaspersky 5.0 and Virus Scan 8.0!Kaspersky 5.0 is very very reliable -great choice for anti-virus! :whistle:;):thumbup

Well!

Here's my report. (no offense but I need replies)

AVG:

Are you, AVG users, aware of this $ZQM.AVG in your %TEMP% (size = 507 MB). What does it do?

KAV:

Are you, KAV users, satisfied with your IE performance?

BitDefender:

Are you, BitDefender users, satisfied with an app that is slower than NAV?

Thanks in advance.

-- #Signature# --

Symantec Addict