Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

debug.log says license file loaded.

The popup window "This is BETA of Aero Glass for Win8.1." still appears.

Edit: I used the licence key generated under win 8.

I just generated a new one under win 8.1, and it was different than the old one.

Let´s see if that works.

Edit2: No popup anymore, maybe that´s also the reason why automatic downloading of symbols did not work.

I did not change my CPU or harddrive, so I expected the old licence key to work, but obviously that was wrong.

Edited by hfb

AeroGlass for Windows 8.1 seems to work nicely on two monitors. But there is a difference to the Windows 8 version.

It does not work on a three monitor configuration.

Both 1600x1200 monitors are working fine with AeroGlass but the third (1280x1024 rotated) is not able to display anything. Not that it is black, it shows a little part of the desktop but when a window is moved to this monitor it is not displayed.

If it helps, the third monitor is connected to the second graphic card. Both cards are nVidia and I am using the latest nVidia drivers.

@wifield

I have the same problem with my dual display configuration with one of the displays rotated 90CW.

It seems this was still not fixed on beta3 :(

So let's hope our reports will help bigmuscle to fix the problem.

Like someone else here already said, bigmuscles AeroGlass is a great piece of software, it beautifies an otherwise ugly Windows 8(.1).

Hm, themeatlas.png file loading seems intermittent. I've booted up my Win 8.1 test system 6 times since installing beta 3, and 2 of the 6 times it came up without my custom theme atlas loaded, no matter how long I waited. Closing and restarting the DWM window caused it to load, after a delay.

There are no errors I can see in the debug.log... This is from a bootup where it didn't load...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/debug.log

-Noel

Your test system is VM machine or real? I try to use BM tool on VMWare machine, and very often it behave not same way then real, it sometimes don't do things, that in real machine works, for example symbol downloading etc.

NoelC: does console display "Update theme settings: 0x0" ?

Does the console normally display anything that's not in the debug.log file? You can see the debug.log for the session that didn't come up right at the link I posted above.

I can't say I have ever seen "Update theme settings: 0x0" at all in the dwm.exe window.

Note that I don't have any special theme stuff installed in this Windows 8.1 system.

Here's a screen grab from a session that failed to load the themeatlas:

NoThemeAtlas.png

And here's one that worked (after 5 reboots with failures to load the theme resources, I gave up - I had to close the DWM window and let it restart to get the themeatlas loaded properly):

ThemeAtlasOK.png

-Noel

I'm having an issue with Thunderbird, where the maximized window has problems in the titlebar. This was also present with the previous beta. Not a huge deal but figured I'd report it.

Also, as a contribution back to the community, I present a "Windows 7" theme, which I'm currently calling beta1. It's a modification of win8cp.png using Windows 7 type buttons, which have rounding on the edges. Enjoy!

EDIT: Found an issue already, so here's beta2. Also, anyone who can help me figure out rounded corners (a la Windows 7)?

post-383443-0-40323800-1383363950_thumb.

Edited by infinality

@bigmuscle

When the video window (by using DxVA2 acceleration) is across 2 monitors boundary (please see pic below), the dwm.exe process will eat 12% CPU of the Intel 2600k quad core. When the video window is within the main monitor, the dwm.exe only uses 1% CPU. Please check.

I'm using AMD 7750 GPU with latest 13.11b Catalyst on 64-bit Win 8.1 RTM. And AeroGlass beta3.

PS. This will also cause above issue when the video is in fullscreen mode, which consumes 25w more power..

2000.jpg

Edited by tester123456

Install the Win Perf Tookit (WPT) from 8.1 SDK:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/desktop/bg162891

, open a cmd as admin and run this command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Windows Performance Toolkit\xperf.exe" -start PERFSCENARIOS!DWMProfile && timeout 60 && xperf -stop PERFSCENARIOS!DWMProfile DWMTrace.etl

zip and upload the DWMTrace.etl (not the 2 other files!!!).

i like this theme, would like it even better if rounded corners worked

Me too!

I personally like the square corners and buttons as it appears to have a Cleaner and Sharper look, just a matter of taste tho..DP

@infinality: I don´t know how he did it but NoelC uses rounded corners in his theme found on the download page of glass8 homepage.

I took that as a basis and copy/pasted your button colors into it. I did not change the symbols, so now

the win 7 buttons contain win 8 symbols. I like it that way.

post-383072-0-81202000-1383392134_thumb.

Edited by hfb

This is the verbose debug build: http://glass8.berlios.de/stuff/DWMGlassVerbose.7z

NoelC: could you use this build a provide debug log when custom resource is not applied?

Rotated display problem: could you use this build a hold F11 while moving some window into non-functional area?

In both cases, it starts logging needed data into debug.log so it may be slow as hell during it. But then upload debug.log.

It should not be used in other cases!

@bigmuscle

When the video window (by using DxVA2 acceleration) is across 2 monitors boundary (please see pic below), the dwm.exe process will eat 12% CPU of the Intel 2600k quad core. When the video window is within the main monitor, the dwm.exe only uses 1% CPU. Please check.

I'm using AMD 7750 GPU with latest 13.11b Catalyst on 64-bit Win 8.1 RTM. And AeroGlass beta3.

PS. This will also cause above issue when the video is in fullscreen mode, which consumes 25w more power..

@bigmuscle and @MagicAndre1981

I caught the DWMTrace.etl and uploaded to below site:

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1eOHPU

Please click 2000.jpg, then 2000.jpg to get the trace file.

During the 60s tracing period, the first 20s is the video window completely within the main monitor,

second 20s, the video window across the 2 monitors,

last 20s, the video window go back in to the main monitor.

Thanks much!

Edited by tester123456