Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

Wow me too, I altered my Reg for the atlas string name change, dropped the new version into my glass folder- restarted DWM by closing cmd box.

Bam black screen, flashing, cursor visible.... waiting... nothing.

Reboot, into a black screen. Holding ctrl didn't bypass DWM loading on second attempt either.

Ok,

Entered safe mode. renamed dwmglass.dll to something else.. reboot back to normal. Insert Beta3 again.

Here is my minidump for you. (~30Mb decompressed)

Dump_Log.zip

Hope this helps.

Badly broken. I get a black screen, only visible thing is the mouse cursor.

Edit: fixed version works.

I have no glow effect, and I don´ t know where the reflection bmp is...

Edited by hfb

Wow,

b4 is a total no go for me. I couldn't even start Windows 8.1. Same issue as reported.

Both screens black, only mouse showing, I couldn't even start in save mode. I had to dettatch the SSD, attatch it via USB to another PC and rename the dll to be able to start windows again.

I'll try the fixed file now.

EDIT:

Fixed version works again but still no blur on 2nd screen

Wow bigmuscle you really scared the hell out of me with that first b4.

If I didn't have several PCs here I would have been screwed :-)

EDIT2:

Do you need the minidump file or can I delete it? My minidump is 97Mb :-)

Edited by paul70

also broken for me, couldn't figure out how to get to safe mode holding F8 did nothing, i ended up booting the install dvd and using a cmd window from there deleted the beta 4 directory, i was then able to boot and point regedit back to the dll in the beta 3 directory

Download it again, BM has fixed the error as mentioned above..... :whistle:

And I used F8 just fine to 'fix' my system... haven't MS made some changes there!... several more steps & screens to find the 'safe mode' option.

@BM

It seems that the reg setting "ColorizationGlassReflectionIntensity" is not working in the revised version of Beta 4.

Edit:

I see there is no PNG included in the DWMGlass.dll and that's why.

Do we use the one that used to be there?

If so, then how?

Edit2:

Nevermind, reread your instructions and figured it out.

Made my own .png and referenced it with a reg file.

Works fine now.

Edited by Dreamweaver01

with all the issues people are pointing out, i think i'll stick with beta3 for now

For what it's worth, I'm not having any new problems. Just make sure to put an entry in regedit for the reflection file. The one from page 7 looks great if you put a 20px gaussian blur on it.

In the other thread, Aero Glass for Win8 .. around the time of version1.1...?, someone extracted the original reflection bitmap I think from the DWMGlass.dll during a discussion about something.

I didn't think to save it... and can't seem to locate it now.

Perhaps that is a mild version to use.. MrGrim had one too... I should try it.. but IIRC he made it stronger.

Things to try today.

AERO GLASS for Win8.1 Beta 4

Here is Beta 4 which contains a lot of internal changes, so I hope I didn't break anything.

* HKCU atlas loading fix

* multi-displays and rotated displays fixes

* optimization: do not inflate dirty regions and do not use glass safety zone when rendered region does not contain glass

* glow bitmap is read from system theme (or custom atlas if used), however, only horizontal sizing margins are respected due to the fact how Win8.1 deals with window caption (it seems to be a bug in DWM itself); vertical margins are always zero and glow bitmap is stretch over whole caption height

* because there is no appropriate theme part to be used for reflection bitmap (aero peek background is not suitable), the reflection bitmap is read from PNG file specified in registry HKCU(or HKLM)\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM:CustomThemeReflection (SZ_STRING)

* renamed registry settings CustomThemeResource to CustomThemeAtlas

You still need to manually download symbols for udwm.dll, dwmcore.dll and dwm.exe else it won't work.

Nice work BM, the reflection image loads great now with the new registry setting, shame you can't have a similar option for the old glow image as well, at least the margins worked with that one, just wondering though if the problem is more to do with the content margin and not the sizing margin, the Windows 7 Content margin for the glow is 17, 17, 8, 10.

One request though, can you make the Custom theme Atlas load only with the default aero theme, the same as it was with the Windows 8 v1.2 glass?

Preview of how it looks with custom reflection and Custom CP theme

nbmv6t7f3bdcggtfg.jpg

Also using my custom Aero Glass Tweaker with new custom settings for the reflection image :)

Edited by MrGRiM