Aero Glass for Win8.1 RTM RC3

All other builds worked fine with the symbols I have...does beta 3 need different ones?

Beta 3 itself works fine, just without custom theme and without glass reflection.

Oh yes, this works on both monitors now! :)

FYI, the download link on the webpage still links to the Beta 2, but changing the url to having a 3 instead of a 2 works for download.

Edit: Anyway, I'll test for longer term stability and report back if anything goes wrong. So far I am so very pleased to have transparency in 8.1, and could not care less about things like watermarks or debug windows. ;)

Edited by drakenabarion

All other builds worked fine with the symbols I have...does beta 3 need different ones?

Beta 3 itself works fine, just without custom theme and without glass reflection.

In beta 3, it also needs debug symbols for DWM.exe apart from uDWM and dwmcore.

Beta 3 seems to work indistinguishably from its predecessor for me here.

This version causes the same audio glitches as before when I move my cursor over glass areas. Is there more information I can provide you about this?

Frankly this audio glitch stuff will be a show-stopper for me, as I listen to music all the time via Pandora or the Media Player while working, and while just dropouts or pops that last a tiny fraction of a second, they're quite irritating to hear.

EDIT: I just tested thoroughly without Aero Glass for Win 8 in the system, and apparently it's a display driver glitch in VMware Workstation 10, because it pops and drops out even without your product in the system, BigMuscle.

You wrote:

>registry settings is loaded even when AppInit_DLLs loading is not used.

How does that work and how can we test it, since that's the only link to the actual DWMGlass.dll made now? Are you anticipating your installer providing some other means of injecting the DLL into the system?

Or maybe it being part of a theme implementation?

Does it still maintain system integrity (i.e., SFC /VERIFYONLY succeeds)?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

OK, thanks.

So where to get these symbols? Automatic downloading never worked for me although I have a licensed copy.

Without Ace2´s tutorial I could not use these betas at all.

Edited by hfb

Aero Glass for win8.1 RTM and symbols SETUP:

DWMGlass.dll Setup:

Copy DWMGlass.dll TO C:\AeroGlass

Windows SDK for Windows 8.1:

Goto:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/desktop/bg162891

and

Download:

Windows SDK for Windows 8.1

Setup:

Only install Debugging Tools for Windows

Regedit Setup:

COPY:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]"LoadAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000001"AppInit_DLLs"="C:\\AeroGlass\\DWMGlass.dll""RequireSignedAppInit_DLLs"=dword:00000000[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"BypassThemeSignature"=dword:00000001[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]"BypassThemeSignature"=dword:00000001

Into New Text Document and Save As AeroGlass.reg and Merge

Symbols Setup:

Copy:

MKDIR %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsCD C:\Windows\System32XCOPY "dwm.exe" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsXCOPY "dwmcore.dll" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsXCOPY "uDWM.dll" %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dllsCD C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Debuggers\x64SYMCHK /r %userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls /s SRV*C:\AeroGlass\symbols\*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbolsRD /S /Q "%userprofile%\appdata\local\temp\dlls"

INTO New Text Document and Save As symbols.cmd

Run symbols.cmd As (Admin) UNTIL YOU HAVE dwm.pdb & dwmcore.pdb & uDWM.pdb IN C:\AeroGlass\symbols

NOTE:
Best to UPDATE Windows 8.1 FIRST.

Edited by ace2

Hm, themeatlas.png file loading seems intermittent. I've booted up my Win 8.1 test system 6 times since installing beta 3, and 2 of the 6 times it came up without my custom theme atlas loaded, no matter how long I waited. Closing and restarting the DWM window caused it to load, after a delay.

There are no errors I can see in the debug.log... This is from a bootup where it didn't load...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/debug.log

-Noel

i'm not seeing "Update theme settings: 0x0" either

edit: if i add a registry string CustomThemeResource and point it to ThemeAtlas.png it loads it and gives "Update theme settings: 0x0"

Edited by truexfan81