NTFS support in Win 98/SE/ME?

bsperan

With all due respect for the people asking for NTFS support' date=' the only practical use of NTFS on Windows 9x is IMHO for easily exchange of files in NT/2k/Xp/2003/Vista/2008/7 multi-boot systems[/quote']

I beg to differ.

I need a NTSF driver to read external USB hard drives formated in NTSF. I'm stuck with using another computer running under Vista.

The full version of Paragon NTFS for Win98 3.0.2.2 is currently available free of charge for read/write access.

NTFS for Win98 uses a single VxD solution with no dependancies on Microsoft NT files.

If is designated for non-commercial use only:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-win98/

I've been testing it and so far it works well.

The installer warns you to disable Recycle Bin on the NTFS drive in Windows 9x.

If you don't, like I didn't, the Recycle Bin on the NTFS drive becomes corrupt and causes minor NTFS file system errors that requires chkdsk /f run from Windows XP.

I was mainly interested in access to files over 4GiB in size.

Windows Explorer in 9x displays file sizes correctly when over 4GiB, but if you try to copy an over 4GiB file, it truncates the copy (remainder of file size divided by 4GiB).

From a command prompt, dir only lists a truncated file size, and the copy command only copies the truncated size.

xcopy fails with Warning: File too large to be copied

So, here's the solution for you. However, you'll be limited to 4 GiB, due to how the Windows filesystem drivers were written. RLoew explained that better elsewhere:

It would not be a rewrite of the "whole" OS, but a significant rewrite of the FileSystem API code (KERNEL32.DLL and possibly IOS.VXD) to add >4GiB File support.

Then again, to be able to use 4 GiB, not 2 GiB, you need also to apply the Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE 2-4 GB Files Errors Fix COPY2GB.EXE beforehand.

However, Vista can use FAT-32 all right, so you're not in fact stuck with NTFS, unless that's your boot drive (and, even then, Vista *can* actually be installed to FAT-32, but that's a lot of work).

• 1 year later...

What files should be use for NTFS98? Some say the WinXP files are buggy.

The free Paragon NTFS for Win98 appears to the best/most reliable solution for reading/writing to NTFS volumes under win9x.

I am not sure what that WinXP file stuff is actually about though.

What files should be use for NTFS98? Some say the WinXP files are buggy.
You're looking into the wrong version, the one requiring XP/2K3 specific files to function. It's kind of tricky to even get it to work properly.

Try clicking on this embedded link instead (newer/better/correct version) -

I feel that this is worth bumping this topic even if it is nearly a year old!The full version of Paragon NTFS for Win98 3.0.2.2 is currently available free of charge for read/write access.NTFS for Win98 uses a single VxD solution with no dependancies on Microsoft NT files.If is designated for non-commercial use only:THIS LINK YOU MISSEDI've been testing it and so far it works well.The installer warns you to disable Recycle Bin on the NTFS drive in Windows 9x.If you don't, like I didn't, the Recycle Bin on the NTFS drive becomes corrupt and causes minor NTFS file system errors that requires chkdsk /f run from Windows XP.I was mainly interested in access to files over 4GiB in size.Windows Explorer in 9x displays file sizes correctly when over 4GiB, but if you try to copy an over 4GiB file, it truncates the copy (remainder of file size divided by 4GiB).From a command prompt, dir only lists a truncated file size, and the copy command only copies the truncated size.xcopy fails with Warning: File too large to be copiedI have not yet devised a method of testing if an application can read the whole file, or whether it gets truncated, or wraps at the 4GiB point...If anyone has any good ideas or some kind of testing tool to check access to over 4GiB files on an external file system on 9x, then please speak up! (or is that post up?)

Take the warnings seriously and do what it says. I've used it and it works fine. Take note that the file limit size applies to any non-NTFS partitions (as well as partition size limitations for non-NTFS). Edited by submix8c

On Windows 9X:

1. The User API supports 64 Bit File Offsets.

2. The User Mode Interface (KERNEL32.DLL) only supports 32 Bit File Offsets.

3. The Kernel Mode Interface ((IOS) only supports 32 Bit File Offsets.

4. Some FileSystems, such as NTFS, support 64 Bit File Offsets.

Because of parts 2 and 3, it is impossible to access more than 4GB of a File through the normal pathway regardless of FileSystem or Network capability.

Even my FILE64 Large File Emulator, which is an User Mode Overlay, cannot bridge this gap to an actual >4GB file on a NTFS FileSystem.

I was talking about the version Winternals NTFS for Windows 98 not the Paragon version. Sorry I wasn't clear.
I understood well. I've used the one you refer to and prefer the other (no "additional files needed"). Again, painful to use. If you insist, they are mostly the same but I've had better luck with XPSP3/Server2k3SP2. I could look up the exact files if need be. They may (not sure) be in the Server SP2 IT-package.

As rloew said, the limitations still exist.

edit -

Following the link to Web Archive you can see that it's Read-Only and requires -

* NTFS.SYS: this file is located at \system32\drivers\ntfs.sys

* NTOSKRNL.EXE: this file is located at \system32\ntoskrnl.exe

* AUTOCHK.EXE: this file is located at \system32\autochk.exe

* NTDLL.DLL: this file is located at \system32\ntdll.dll

* C_437.NLS: this file is located at \system32\c_437.nls

* C_1252.NLS: this file is located at \system32\c_1252.nls

* L_INTL.NLS: this file is located at \system32\l_intl.nls

Info on installation -

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/installing-sysinternals-ntfs-for-windows-98-driver/1047598

edit2 - hmmm... looks like I used Server 2k3 and also had to use 2k3 "psapi.dll" as well. Some sort of error (an "export"?)... That's all I can give as the last time I used that version was May of 2006.

Edited by submix8c

I was talking about the version Winternals NTFS for Windows 98 not the Paragon version. Sorry I wasn't clear.

These command switches might help you.

NTFSCHK v4.00
Copyright (C) 1999-2002 Winternals Software LP
www.winternals.com

NTFSCHK [drive:] [options]
[drive:] Specifies the drive to check (use '*' for all drives).
/A Check all drives (same as specifying drive as '*')
/F Fix errors found on the disk.
/S Show available NTFS drives without checking.
/Q Quick - Don't check unless volume is dirty.
/V Verbose - Show paths of files loaded.
/@<file> Path to initialization file containing locations of files.
/* Has NTFSCHK check all NTFS drives, or you can specify a specific drive letter (e.g. D:) to check.
/? Displays NTFSCHK usage.

• 1 month later...

Hey dudes anyone can say winternals' ntfs98 is better than paragon's?(with reasons) i really have to know that.

(I think winternals' is very bad at handling of external HDDs or am I wrong?)

Edited by fenasi