Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

CharlesF ... Since I have installed the newer version of KMPlayer and also deleted the red ASK Toolbar folder in the KMPlayer folder, I have had no attempts of anything trying to connect to the internet through the firewall ... in Options under the General tab there is also a checkmark to check for KMP updates that I remove. So far all files are playing OK, including wmv files, mostly play avi files. I like how KMP identifies (labels) the various files. Can't say why something is still trying to connect to the internet on your computer. You did delete that red ASK Toolbar folder? I think KMP is a pretty good player for videos and DVDs but that's just a preference on my part.

I listed the KMPlayer information here since this new version seems to work OK for me on Windows 98SE ... It may actually work on a computer with "no" KernelEx installed at all, I don't know ... I have KernelEx installed but as I stated, just left the Default setting in place.

Update: Feb 11, 2012

CharlesF, decided to update this old posting ... I now also have KMPlayer trying to connect to the internet for no apparent reason. When I first installed the newer KMPlayer version and deleted the ASK folder ... I did not have this problem. It's not a big deal as ZoneAlarm prevents it from doing so. Just thought I should post this update that you will probably not read anyway from this old post.

Edited by duffy98

I have had no attempts of anything trying to connect to the internet through the firewall ... in Options under the General tab there is also a checkmark to check for KMP updates that I remove.

Same thing here, ...but still calling home :angry:

Not a big deal, I'm using ZA also.

As I have said, the whole folder including the Ask toolbar components has been deleted.

So far all files are playing OK, including wmv files

In Options\Preferences\Decoder Usage\Internal Video Decoder\WMV ,

I have change from DirectX Media Objects to LibCodec, ...and everything is just fine now! :thumbup

Burn Right CD & DVD

http://www.kiwialpha.com/burnright/index.htm

Basically, a minimalist data CD burner.

"BurnRight! CD & DVD runs on Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, Me and XP.

Features

*super lightweight

*completely free

*latest technology

*user friendly

*blazing fast burning"

*Edit*

I tested it and it works. A couple nag screens advertising the Pro Version is all.

Here's where you can download

http://www.freewr.com/freeware.php?download=instant-cd-dvd-burner&lid=2898

Edited by ScrewUpgrading

Java. Opera 10.10 (is the last version that) can use the old-style Java plugin, while 10.63 cannot. And, AFAIK, nobody has yet been able to use the new-style Java plugin in 9x/ME, no matter what browser is used and regardless of KernelEx. But I may be wrong, and the situation may have changed. I installed 10.10 with Java and Flash and forgot about the problem. But I'm sure our fellow members who are Opera users will correct me if I've missed any significant new development in this matter.

Java. Opera 10.10 (is the last version that) can use the old-style Java plugin, while 10.63 cannot. And, AFAIK, nobody has yet been able to use the new-style Java plugin in 9x/ME, no matter what browser is used and regardless of KernelEx. But I may be wrong, and the situation may have changed. I installed 10.10 with Java and Flash and forgot about the problem. But I'm sure our fellow members who are Opera users will correct me if I've missed any significant new development in this matter.

I needed the green light, and you just gave it to me. :w00t:

Install while disconnected from the internet, then open Opera, go to Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Security -> Auto-update and set it to "Do not check for updates". Then close it, reconnect the internet, and you're all set. :)

But I'm sure our fellow members who are Opera users will correct me if I've missed any significant new development in this matter.

AFAIK you're right, for Java support, the most recent browsers we can use are Opera 10.10, Firefox 3.5.x and K-meleon 1.6.0 Beta2.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found out that Audacity resumed support for Win98/ME starting with v.1.3.12 beta. Previously, 1.3.7 beta was the last version that supported Win98/ME and I was (pleasantly) shocked to find that they resumed support again. This may be the first time I've ever seen this happen. The latest version is 1.3.14 beta.

EDIT: I think it would be nice if we expressed our appreciation to the developers for resuming Win98/ME support as this so rarely happens. I never expected it but was surprised to see that it resumed as I was browsing the Audacity site. BTW I don't know how to update the master list at the beginning of this thread to indicate that development is now ongoing.

Edited by Prozactive

Current alpha 1.3.15 has problems using Windows DirectSound as Audio Host. I'm getting an error related to Output Device not found. It does work using MME though. Being an open-source project, I suppose 9x programmers/users can always suggest related fixes to keep compatibility. Thanks for the heads up!